• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PRiME2003

PRiME2003

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:57 AM

I've read about people having more memory on their xbox but intensive searching on these forums and all over have revealed very little conversation about it,.

Basicly I'm sick of having to turn off all mame options and features just to run a simple rom,

Could someone point me to the guide on installing more memory, also will this screw up xbox live? Hope not.

Also I been noticing that some roms load up saying 12mb needed memory and only 6mb free, WTF does mame really take up 58mb of memory for some roms?

I have been able to run larger ones like MEtal Slug2 but some others which are MUCH MUCH smaller like DDSOM.zip give out of memory errors, what the hell is going on with these roms? do some decompress in memory larger then others, I also checked their zip files and the contents is still pretty small, yet they run OUT OF MEMORY...

Thankyou for you time, hope someone can answer my few questions. smile.gif

#2 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (PRiME2003 @ Nov 19 2003, 05:57 AM)
Also I been noticing that some roms load up saying 12mb needed memory and only 6mb free, WTF does mame really take up 58mb of memory for some roms?

IIRC, MAMEoX takes around 20 MB of RAM. If your box only says that it has 6 MB free, then something is seriously wrong with your box. What does EvoX say?

#3 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (PRiME2003 @ Nov 18 2003, 10:57 PM)

I have been able to run larger ones like MEtal Slug2 but some others which are MUCH MUCH smaller like DDSOM.zip give out of memory errors, what the hell is going on with these roms? do some decompress in memory larger then others, I also checked their zip files and the contents is still pretty small, yet they run OUT OF MEMORY...

Thankyou for you time, hope someone can answer my few questions. smile.gif

Do you think that mame only needs the size of the rom in memory to emulate it, and that it needs no more memory whatsoever? Not a single byte more?

To run mame itself you need <insert MB memory here>. To run a rom you need <insert rom size here> PLUS what it takes to emulate it!

Some roms that are only 12MB takes a 100 MB of memory to emulate.

Upgrading your ram will most likely screw some retail games up for you, and perhaps live. Its not meant to be done so adverse effects are to be expected.

#4 Malick23

Malick23

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:33 PM

You know virtual memory for MameoX is still in the works. It would probably be better to wait for it than solder 100+ points and 86 your Xbox.

BTW does anyone know how virtual memory is comming along?

#5 PRiME2003

PRiME2003

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:02 PM

Ahh cool thanks for the reply guys, guess ill wait for virtual memory.

I know Kawa-X does some loading tricks, if ONLY I could get Kawa to see my roms :/

#6 HeLiuM

HeLiuM

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (PRiME2003 @ Nov 19 2003, 10:02 PM)
Ahh cool thanks for the reply guys, guess ill wait for virtual memory.

I know Kawa-X does some loading tricks, if ONLY I could get Kawa to see my roms :/

you have to leave the directory in the ini alone (keep it at the default), then put the roms in the roms folder it comes with. should fix it. kawa-x does virtual memory, not just "loading tricks"

#7 GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 02:27 AM

There's some topics in the hardware forum on adding memory (how to do it, and gained benfits) if you're interested. The guys there seemed to be overall pleased with it.

#8 dman7

dman7

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Malick23 @ Nov 19 2003, 06:33 PM)
You know virtual memory for MameoX is still in the works. It would probably be better to wait for it than solder 100+ points and 86 your Xbox.

BTW does anyone know how virtual memory is comming along?

That's funny you would post that and I came across it....

I was just thinking to today about how nice it would be to mod my xbox with more ram. And then I thought, 'As soon as I do it I bet a new Mameox will come out that will get rid of the lack or ram problem'.

-Dman

#9 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (dman7 @ Nov 20 2003, 08:05 AM)
I was just thinking to today about how nice it would be to mod my xbox with more ram. And then I thought, 'As soon as I do it I bet a new Mameox will come out that will get rid of the lack or ram problem'.

Of course, when this happens, machines with added RAM will have better performance, since that would be up to 64 MB less of data that would need to be cached to disk. So, it's still worth it if you're big into emulation.

#10 PRiME2003

PRiME2003

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:34 PM

Yeah someone let us know when Mamex will have Virtual Memory, or even if there will be a new Kawa-x that supports custom folders and MAME roms smile.gif

Hope this virtual memory thing doesn't need decrypted files, wish they find away around that, its a reall bitch trying to organise all the decrypted file stuff..

#11 yodanut

yodanut

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 10:16 PM

KAWA-X does use MAME roms. If it's not seeing yours you either have bad roms or have a bad neogeo.zip bios in the ROMS directory.

#12 GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 12:20 AM

As long as the files are named properly XXXX.zip, it will "read" them -- IE, acknowlege that it's there. If the romset (the roms INSIDE the zip file) aren't complete, bad, etc. then they won't run. If the Romlist doesn't show roms, you've got something wrong... probably the file name.

#13 dman7

dman7

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (Cutriss @ Nov 20 2003, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (dman7 @ Nov 20 2003, 08:05 AM)

Of course, when this happens, machines with added RAM will have better performance, since that would be up to 64 MB less of data that would need to be cached to disk. So, it's still worth it if you're big into emulation.

Well, the main thing that is stopping me is finding someone I can trust to do it....I'm a pretty big emulation fanatic. In fact, I rarely ever play Xbox games on my Xbox.

-dman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users