LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:59 AM

ok now you say gaming machine companies and it rings a bell.,., i make my own stuff so,, sorry it didnt register sooner.

no name i mean mostly main stream.

if its got the right parts,, the right warrenty and the right price,, hell man go for it.
your buying it for you, no one else.

#32 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (lebriznon @ Nov 23 2003, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (pedro @ Nov 22 2003, 08:38 PM)
so what laptop brand would you recomend dermic?
I'm open to any advice that will save me money?

i dont think u should be buying a laptop for gaming. they will never compare to a good desktop pc.

I agree. You'll end up spending at least $1200 for a low-range decent rig when you could use the same amount to make a pretty high-end desktop PC. Unless mobility is really a big deal to you, dump the money into a desktop PC.
As a sort of assholish clairification: assembling a new computer from parts isn't making a "homebrew" PC. Look online- that definition belongs to computers that were built _from the ground up_, i.e. unique computers that the components (resistors, capacitators, sockets, etc) were literally soldered on. Most people never have, and will never, make one, as it requires quite a bit of skill, high-end equipment, and intimate knowlege of programming (you've gotta code your own *nix kernel to work with the custom MoBo, unless you design yours around a standard one) and electronics engineering.

Edited by Large Dopant white, 23 November 2003 - 03:03 AM.

#33 DermicSavage

DermicSavage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:08 AM

first of all, lestat, go to fuckign skool quit being such a goddamn retard. yeah im the retard..
yeah you just keep talking,, lets see your a 16 yr old who claims to know everything about pc's yeah.. ok ill shut up.

17 thank you, and i never said i knew everythign abotu PCs, but i had just last month been helping out a freind hunt down deals for laptops, which is why i just happen to know a bunch about this

dermic you tell me to shut up yet you insist on proving yourself to be the noobish retard. ive done more with pc hardware than you have even tired to.

can i see some proof for that?

i may be young, but me and my father are both build and repair systems to whoever asks, and will pay for the hardware they want

1st of all, when you buy a laptop, from a major company they come with the typical 3 yr or more warrenty, and im not sure about dell or sony or toshiba or compaq but i know for a fact if there is something wrong with the laptop, (other than a dvd/cd drive or floppy,  Gateway sends out a BRAND NEW CASE, w/ Motherboard, (monitor included of course.) and this is done within usually a 3 day period. if you have to send it in for service they also have a 3-4 day turnaround time so, for the little people who have no clue what that means,  send it off and 3-4 days after they get it, youll have it back, so typically about a week.

yes, warrantees are a good thing, but i do nto recall sayign anythign bad abotu them, my fasther's screen dies on his dell laptop, and they sent a guy to my house to replace it, i had much fun discussing with the tech the pros and cons of varying hardware

what i had bagged on was tech support, as no matter how long it fucking takes to get to the tech support morons, it always dwindles down to "run a repair" or format using their special fucked up special disc of windows, that loads all the shit that fucked it up in the first place

the new breeds of laptops are actually very nice gaming machines,, IF you get the right one,  but spending 2400 for a no name laptop is kinda foolish in my eyes. get a nice centrino chipped laptop with a nice ati processor, i doubt you will be disappointed.

also i hope you realize centrino uses the pentium 4m proccessors, which does help on battery life, but i would rather sacrifice a few hours fo life for hyper threading and a faster speed

also as pedro mentions, voodoo is not soem no name maker, u are the prime example of the gateway/dell/whatever other shit for brain company that makes shit for systems, and rip you good

but keep in mind laptops are not known for their gaming.

true there, i can fully agree on this part

EDIT: btw, why the fuck dont u use quoting, i nearly skipped past all u wrote figureing u just copy+pasted, this aint gamefaqs or whatever other board u use that doesnt have it

EDIT EDIT: but seriously you can build a far better system for just 1200 bux, but i guess that wont help cause u want a laptop :/

Edited by DermicSavage, 23 November 2003 - 03:11 AM.

#34 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:09 AM

sorry for the misuse of the word 'homebrew' dopant. I never really thought of it they way you put it cuz I guess I never thought anyone would actualy do that, I mean why would you want to? thanks for correcting me though.

As far as my purchase goes, Ive still got time to order so I am still looking around. The sager for 1000 dollars cheaper with the same specs except a P4 instead of a pentium m and a little heavier/thicker, is really starting to look good.

A pentium 4 3.0 ghz would probably way outperform the centrino anyways wouldnt it?

#35 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:11 AM

Eh, just ignore Lestat. He's pretty notorious for starting 'dick-size comparison' flame wars. Granted, I'm kind of a flamer myself, but without the misspelled words and absolutely retarded cause. biggrin.gif

sorry for the misuse of the word 'homebrew' dopant. I never really thought of it they way you put it cuz I guess I never thought anyone would actualy do that, I mean why would you want to? thanks for correcting me though.

Oh, it's not a big deal, I wasn't offended or any shit like that. Just wanted to inform you and the other fine gents on the board. Knowlege is the key, man, and God knows we can all use a little more of it, y'know? smile.gif
EDIT: The "why?" part of homebrew is easy... imagine that you have a custom MoBo with 2x X86 (i.e. Pentium 4) processors, 2x ARMs (as used in mobile devices), and 2x PPCs (as used in PowerMacs). Plus, you can design the bus speed to what you want, have as many built-in IDE and SCSI controllers as you're willing to make, as many PCI/-X, ISA, AGP, etc than you'll ever need... oh, yeah, and mad props. That's a few examples.

Edited by Large Dopant white, 23 November 2003 - 03:15 AM.

#36 DermicSavage

DermicSavage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:15 AM

centrino is just a pentium 4m proccessor, but the laptop itself has built in wireless, dirty tactic in my opinion

but i belive 4ms can onyl go to 2.8 without hyperthreading

while 4s go to 3.2 and i have heard some crap about 3.6 ones, but id have to do some diggin to find out

EDIT:
EDIT: The "why?" part of homebrew is easy... imagine that you have a custom MoBo with 2x X86 (i.e. Pentium 4) processors, 2x ARMs (as used in mobile devices), and 2x PPCs (as used in PowerMacs). Plus, you can design the bus speed to what you want, have as many built-in IDE and SCSI controllers as you're willing to make, as many PCI/-X, ISA, AGP, etc than you'll ever need... oh, yeah, and mad props. That's a few examples.

well the why seems great, but i dont really want to have to solder some 400 points to a motherboard i happened to peice together, just to get a single processor slot installed, not to mention the agp, pci, ram....

*cringes*

Edited by DermicSavage, 23 November 2003 - 03:18 AM.

#37 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (DermicSavage @ Nov 23 2003, 05:15 AM)
well the why seems great, but i dont really want to have to solder some 400 points to a motherboard i happened to peice together, just to get  asingle processor slot installed, not to mention the agp and pci slots

Hence, why most people will never do it (including, likely, myself).... having the right equipment (which can cost thousands of dollars, mind you) can make soldering a couple hundred legs alot easier, tho. Plus, most of the people that do it just draw up the schematic, do a few test designs of various components, and send it off to get done professionally by some company with actual PCB and copper traces... unless, of course, they got the machinery themselves to do it....
Ugh, alot of typing. Just search Google for "Homebrew computer" and you'll find the newsgroup where that is all they discuss, assuming anyone is at all interested in the concept. biggrin.gif

Edited by Large Dopant white, 23 November 2003 - 03:22 AM.

#38 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:22 AM

the centrinos do not just have a pentium 4m processor. It is a completely different chip which is the pentium-m which is faster than the p4m but runs at lower clock speeds. the fasted pm is 1.7 ghz but it is supposed to outperform a 2.2 ghz p4m.

#39 DermicSavage

DermicSavage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (pedro @ Nov 22 2003, 09:22 PM)
the centrinos do not just have a pentium 4m processor. It is a completely different chip which is the pentium-m which is faster than the p4m but runs at lower clock speeds. the fasted pm is 1.7 ghz but it is supposed to outperform a 2.2 ghz p4m.

hrm, that sounds funny, must have read soem articles wrong

/me goes off to hunt down centrino articles

#40 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:29 AM

maybe I'm wrong but I dont think I am. Ive been researching laptop pc's for the past month trying to figure out what I wanted to get and Ive read alot about the centrino.

#41 DermicSavage

DermicSavage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:49 AM

heh my bad, yeah there is a difference, dunno y i didnt notice that, but in the artile i read about it had been doing a lot of comparisons and made it seem as if the Pm and 4m were the same thing

EDIT: yeah found soem benches for it, suprisingly fast, the centrino 1.6(not released yet me thinks) is outperforming a 4m 2.2, by a lot, but it seems to have 3 operating modes that will drastically effect performance, as said before i need to do a ton more reading into this

interesting to see, now it seem real tuff to decide on what system to go for...

hyperthreading is a nice thign to have, cause of the performance boost(i know it still isnt as good as duals, but its a laptop), but you may save soem dough goin for the centrino, ill look around for centrino retailers and check prices

64 bit is still the biggest issue you should prolly consider tho, it will be a shaky trasnfer over, but it might be goo dto be prepared

Edited by DermicSavage, 23 November 2003 - 03:58 AM.

#42 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:52 AM

like you said earlier, knowledge is the key!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users