Photo

Other Than Speed, What Makes One Dvd Burner...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:31 PM

I'm not too familiar with DVD burners but I've seen some 4X ones going for $100. I can settle for a 4X speed but considering they only cost $100, it makes me wonder if the more expensive ones are more compatible or something.

Is there any truth to this? Or is speed the only thing separating them?

Thanks.

#2 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 November 2003 - 08:38 PM

There are other things to look at.. like the reliability and success rates with certain lines of burners.

Pioneer for example.. has blazed a great trail.. from a03, 4, 5, and now 6 and they were literally the ones who "pioneered" dvd burning 3 years before the first 1x dvd burners where on the market.

With today DUAL MODE burners.. you don't need to be concerned with the + and - stuff.. since you'll be able to do both.

What you are now looking at.. is the biggest bang for the buck.. and reliability. You'll find more info in the XBOX BACKUP forum (as far as burning for xbox purposes with these units.

You can also check out other sites like www.dvdrhelp.com which has a variety of resources. www.cdrinfo.com also has alot of info on DVD burners.. and their reliability at producing what you want.

#3 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 09:08 PM

DVD Burners will work with any dvd-r brands right?

#4 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 09:08 PM

This is the one I am interested in btw:

http://www.bestbuy.c...03&type=product

#5 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:06 AM

BEEEEEEEEEEEHUMP

#6 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:22 AM

That is a "+R" - not a dual format burner.

+R media is more expensive than -R media.

I have an Optorite (avaialble for under $125 these days), which is hit-or-miss, it seems (I got a good one), but the Pioneer A06 dual format is selling for under $150, I think.

Until the dual-Layer drives come out next April, a decent, inexpensive Dual format 4X DVD-/+RW burner is the way to go.

The big problem with +R for Xbox users is the Samsung-supplied DVD drives do not support DVD+R discs. All Xbox drives support DVD-R

#7 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:27 AM

Ohhh, okay. Thanks. That really cleared a lot of things up for me.

#8 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:29 AM

Hey man,
Buslink is pretty good stuff (I think it's actually made by Lite-On), but if you want an awesome dual-format, spend $20 more at www.newegg.com. That's where I got my Pioneer 106 (OEM for the A06). It didn't come w/ software, but for around $140, who can complain (Plus they give you FREE shipping!)

#9 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 12:43 AM

I know LITE ON are cheap burners.. but before purchasing one.. research the particular unit on www.cdrinfo.com as we have alot of research there that will educate. many lite-on units have poor c2 issues.

#10 ADAWG69

ADAWG69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (SadSammy @ Nov 22 2003, 11:08 PM)

it depends if you have a dvd+r burner you need to buy dvd+r media. If it is a dvd-r burner then you need dvd-r media. I recommend going for a burner that burns +r and -r or just -r. +r has some good features over -r but depending on what you are doing -r is more economical pricewise.

#11 lebriznon

lebriznon

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (ADAWG69 @ Nov 22 2003, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (SadSammy @ Nov 22 2003, 11:08 PM)

it depends if you have a dvd+r burner you need to buy dvd+r media. If it is a dvd-r burner then you need dvd-r media. I recommend going for a burner that burns +r and -r or just -r. +r has some good features over -r but depending on what you are doing -r is more economical pricewise.

in other words, the type of media is important (chooose the one supported by the drive). the brand is usually irrelevant.

#12 satan666

satan666

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 03:16 AM

SadSammy,Yes and No,Bloody sony dvd burners can only write at 2x on most media but the pioneer does not care

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:40 AM

Definitely go for the Pioneer 106. You can pick it up right now for $119 shipped from www.avlogic.com
Or you can get one for $123 from the same site with Recordnow DX software. I would take it over any of the current "specials" that are in stores now. You will not find a more reputable burner for the price.

#14 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (HSDEMONZ @ Nov 23 2003, 02:43 AM)
I know LITE ON are cheap burners.. but before purchasing one.. research the particular unit on www.cdrinfo.com as we have alot of research there that will educate. many lite-on units have poor c2 issues.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!! I don't actually have the Lite-On DVD Burner but I have one of thier 16x DVD-ROM drives that were supposed to be top notch and the stupid thing rips slower and sometimes can't read a disc with the tiniest scratch. I was watching a DVD-R movie the other night on it and it started skipping towards the end. At first I thought it was a bad burn but then I popped it in my XBOX and the whole movie played without a hitch. If this is any indication of the quality of thier burners then I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. I have a new Plextor on order to replace my Lite-On. The Lite-On is just too fussy for the amount of money you spend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users