diamondX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:21 PM

Article from [H]ard OCP... www.hardocp.com

"iPod Batteries Suck:
Time for Apple fans to get mad at me again. It seems that some iPod owners were told to shell out $255.00 after 18 months for a new non-replaceable battery. While every other MP3 player on the planet takes regular rechargeable batteries that cost $10 a year, Apple thought you should pay the same amount a NEW iPod would cost, just for battery replacement. Hell, just throw your iPod away after 18 months and get a new one….smart marketing. You can get aftermarket stuff for a lot cheaper, if you send in your iPod but still way too expensive.

Brothers Casey and Van Neistat, who collaborate on video projects using Mac editing software, said they were told by a technical support representative at Apple Computer that the cost to replace the dead battery in an 18-month-old iPod would be $255--comparable to the cost of a new device. "

#2 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 November 2003 - 01:20 PM

yea their site is http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com. You can actually get a new battery for under a hundred but that's still a rip off. I like Dell's new one better anyway.

#3 cainedna

cainedna

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:13 PM

Strange. I've had mine for longer than that, and it holds the same charge it always did. It's a Li-ion battery, like the one in the GBA SP. They're not supposed to need replacing.
Dirty secret... dry.gif more like predictable Apple smear compaign...

#4 SadSammy

SadSammy

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:56 PM

Why don't people just buy MP3 CD Players???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I've been wondering that for about three years now.

They only cost $30.00.

#5 DermicSavage

DermicSavage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (cainedna @ Nov 27 2003, 08:13 AM)
Strange. I've had mine for longer than that, and it holds the same charge it always did. It's a Li-ion battery, like the one in the GBA SP. They're not supposed to need replacing.

a great deal of iPods lose their capacity after being used extensively, i though tthis fact was well known, but guess not

#6 ocojaa

ocojaa

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (SadSammy @ Nov 27 2003, 11:56 AM)
Why don't people just buy MP3 CD Players???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I've been wondering that for about three years now.

They only cost $30.00.

I bought one when they were new for like $120. It was an off brand but I took my chances-- turned out to be the biggest piece of shit. I blame that on the manufacturer.... Anyway, I would rather have an MP3 player over an MP3 CD player anyday. They may cost more, but they're lighter, easier on batteries, and you don't have to keep burning discs.

#7 silentkiller

silentkiller

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 03:49 PM

Guys, that site is just trying to give iPods a bad name because the makers happened to get an ipod with a bad battery. No rechargable battery will work forever, and now Apple has a $100 battery replacement service, or you can do it yourself for about $50. The fact is that most iPod batteries work for longer than 18 months, but like any electronic product, there will be exceptions. The majority of people that I have talked to about this have said that in their ipods, (>18 Months) the batteries still hold a full charge.

#8 whozyodaddy

whozyodaddy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 04:43 PM

I believe this because i own a Apple iBook and the battery only lasts a year and a half, then it dies and does all sorts of shit. So i had to buy a new one, cost = $120 sad.gif

#9 black_light

black_light

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:23 PM

http://www.penny-arc...003-05-28&res=l

#10 Intelligoth

Intelligoth

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (cainedna @ Nov 27 2003, 07:13 AM)

Yeah just like those iBook batteries that caught fire about 3-4 years ago. I suppose that was a smear campaign organized by the Anti-Mac conspirationists too. laugh.gif

http://www.penny-arc...002-07-12&res=l

Edited by Intelligoth, 27 November 2003 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users