...ReLLiK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Moleman @ Dec 22 2003, 02:14 PM)
How about a bios that launches a firewall xbe/dash that blocks the live port ranges.

That would be great, because MS could change the code all they want and it would still work. just allow xlink and system link traffic through!

#62 pogopin

pogopin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:50 PM

another solution (approved by me) : my mod bios do not load default.xbe but bootxbe.xbe on my dvd-drive

So i can't load any original game with my bios on (even if i forget an original in the tray)

-for an original game (especially live enable one) i change the swith my modchip position to off

-for a backup i modify the iso (put bootxbe instead of default), or i have the evox shortcuts.

i also add a d:default.xbe shortcut in my evox (with a double warning screen), if needed.

the only problem, is for backup of "live aware games", so i buy them !!!

#63 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (...ReLLiK @ Dec 24 2003, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Moleman @ Dec 22 2003, 02:14 PM)
How about a bios that launches a firewall xbe/dash that blocks the live port ranges.
That would be great, because MS could change the code all they want and it would still work. just allow xlink and system link traffic through!

Yeah, it would be great.

IF IT WERE POSSIBLE, WHICH IT IS NOT! SO STOP FREAKING ASKING!

This sort of stuff has been covered ad fucking infinitum in the BIOS Hacks Suggestions thread.

#64 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 05:47 AM

Well, you know how evox has IGR, right? Well I was thinking, however it made IGR work inside of a game it would have a mini-firewall. Windows XP does it. But then we get into multitasking. Doh!

#65 DCarnage

DCarnage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:49 PM

It's not impossible. Everyone said that it was impossible to have a harddrive larger than 120GB in an XBox be cause of LBA28s limitations, but someone hacked that and got it working right?! Well, whatever...

#66 Rahszhul

Rahszhul

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, damnit, gaming! I love that emulators have been ported to the xbox.

Posted 28 December 2003 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (ivc @ Dec 17 2003, 04:53 PM)
it seems dvd2xbox 0.5.2 can patch files directly using acl control lists, hence applying smo's patch

is this correct?
HR|default.xbe|1|A801750CC745|90909090C745|

while we wait for a bios patch we could use this method smile.gif

ivc,

Slight fix; missed the "5" at the end of the search string.

I just tested this idea with adding this to dvd2xbox's acl list. It worked while backing up Unreal Championship. Made sure my network cable was still pluged in, and made sure to test on my xbox that can access XBLive. It gave me a cannot connect error. biggrin.gif

Just for info's sake, I used "dvd2xbox 0.5.2 tc1"

Now to see if this acl thing works nicely with my game file deletions... muhaha.gif

#67 Cutriss

Cutriss

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (DCarnage @ Dec 28 2003, 11:49 PM)
It's not impossible.  Everyone said that it was impossible to have a harddrive larger than 120GB in an XBox be cause of LBA28s limitations, but someone hacked that and got it working right?!  Well, whatever...

Everyone thinks it's impossible to live without an oxygen supply to your brain. I guess you've also demonstrated that this isn't true.

It has been explained *MANY* times over and over again as to why this would be unfeasible, if not downright impossible. I'll leave it as an exercise to you to pull your own head out of your ass and go read.

You sound like that retard that wanted to run his PS2 copy of SSX3 on his Xbox...
QUOTE (DCarnage @ Dec 28 2003, 11:49 PM)
Well, you know how evox has IGR, right? Well I was thinking, however it made IGR work inside of a game it would have a mini-firewall. Windows XP does it. But then we get into multitasking. Doh!
That's part of the problem right there.

There is a *huge* difference between setting extra BIOS interrupts (IGR) and embedding an XBE.

I didn't fiddle around at all with the whole X2-embedded-FTP-server, but if memory serves, it only runs if you hold A on boot, and then, it runs as a standalone application, and *not* as a background service.

Edited by Cutriss, 31 December 2003 - 02:57 PM.

#68 DCarnage

DCarnage

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 06:35 PM

Wow, do you still live with your parents? #1 I'm not an idiot. #2 I never put you down in any way. #3 It is possible, but it would be very difficult.

When I say, "It is possible" that means if a person spent enough time backward engineering the bios and rebuild it, it can be possible. Or even if they wrote their own. <-- very very very difficult, but NEVER impossible. There are no hardware limitations for doing what everyone has suggested in this thread.

Peace biggrin.gif

Edited by DCarnage, 31 December 2003 - 06:36 PM.

#69 Pillzburydoofus

Pillzburydoofus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:01 AM

No one, as of yet, has found a way to run two programs at one time on the xbox... That means, an xbe firewall is out of the question unless you want to come up with a way yourself to run two programs at one time (outside of linux.) It's possible to run WindowsCE now on your xbox (with problems) and everyone said it couldn't be done... That means that eventually, theoretically, you could run Windows XP/98/ME. The easiest option you have is to run the dvd2xbox acl string to stop the "known" live checking string. If this hex value makes it into a bios, (and it could) then that would stop ALL games using that string from connecting to xbox live... The problem therein lies with M$ Dashboard updates... a future dash could (possibly) allow for a secondary call, but it would still have to allow the one used now, otherwise all the current Xboxlive games would not be able to go live anymore. This seams unreasonable because the only reason M$ would do this is to purposefully ban people for modding... Wouldn't put it past them, but come on... this isn't a conspiracy. Has anyone tested this hex replacement to see if it allows system link? I'd rather take the risk of losing live to be able to play system link. and lastly... I set my xbox live account up to use a password (button sequence) the day I activated it. No game that I've played so far has EVER connected to live without asking me for this password. If I "accidently" activate live AND put in my password while the switch is on, then I'm just a freaking retard. (This has not been tested with ALL Live Aware games, but Prince of Persia didn't connect without password.)

Summary:

1. Xbox Live blocking CAN be enabled through the BIOS, but you would need someone with knowledge of how the BIOS is compiled and edited to do that.

2. Put a password on your Live account... It helps!!!

3. UnleashX is the best dash to date.

#70 brienj

brienj

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:32 PM

Just thought I would mention that if you backup your Live account to a memory card, and then delete the account from your Xbox, your Xbox will NEVER connect to Live in a manner that could ban your account, and you just need to plug in the memory card to play on Live. A solution I figured out months ago when Live 2.0 came out, but nobody seemed to take seriously. smile.gif

And yes, I have tested. tongue.gif

And btw, I have Live 2.0, run Live-Aware games all the time, and have even clicked on Live tabs in games and the dashboard while mod-chip was on (for testing purposes). I have been doing it for months now, and I am still not banned, so ....

#71 ...ReLLiK

...ReLLiK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 08:53 PM

As with BrienJ, I have been using my acct on a memory card with no problems either. I have also been doing this for several months and have posted this in the forums somewhere once ago.
Did you all notice xbox live! may be disabled in the new X2 bios?? I bet they are incorporating the hex idea....

I have no problem the way it works for me now, but I would like to have this in bios for my nephews' xbox! That way they can get live! and not render the xbox live useless on accident! After all, they are not old enuff to know better!

#72 brienj

brienj

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (...ReLLiK @ Jan 2 2004, 02:53 PM)
As with BrienJ, I have been using my acct on a memory card with no problems either. I have also been doing this for several months and have posted this in the forums somewhere once ago.
Did you all notice xbox live! may be disabled in the new X2 bios?? I bet they are incorporating the hex idea....

I have no problem the way it works for me now, but I would like to have this in bios for my nephews' xbox! That way they can get live! and not render the xbox live useless on accident! After all, they are not old enuff to know better!

Nice to see another intelligent individual on the boards, and thanks for hopefully stopping the "No, that can't be true" and "but what if, ..." posts. smile.gif

#73 Fofer

Fofer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 January 2004 - 02:43 AM

According to Executor's post (the one referenced on xbox-scene's main page today) the new X2 bios's strategy *is* based on smo's findings in this thread!

http://www.teamxecut...c&p=32574#32574
(free registration required)

Sounds pretty cool, huh? That will be a relief for those of us paranoid about getting banned from XBL.

In the meantime, I'm pretty pleased with a little hack I've just devised tonight. I fashioned a handy little Network A/B Switch box that allows me to turn the ethernet connectivity on or off. My Xbox is in a tight little shelf, and constantly pulling it out to unplug the ethernet cable was becoming a drag. Now I can easily turn it on or off with the turn of a dial. My Xbox gets to stay put. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with my handiwork. biggrin.gif

#74 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 02:50 AM

The BIOS Live-disable would work exactly the same as the no patch hack and no patch hack2 works. It just patches the XBE in memory. Why do you guys think this would be difficult (never mind impossible)?

#75 Moorish

Moorish

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

How I have mine setup currently is I have modified the BIOS so that when I boot up with the chip on the LED is Red as is the Xbox Logo. Also I have messed with the .xbe file the BIOS looks for on the CD/DVD Rom (just called it asdfasfafa.xbe or whatever) so that with the chip on it will not boot straight from the CD/DVD. This is enough to make me realise I have the chip on as to boot any game from EvoX I have to tell EvoX to boot from the CD.

It's not perfect but it's working fine so far. I may get myself a memory card and transfer my Live! Account to that though - sounds like a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users