582 replies to this topic

#1 FullMetalPacket

FullMetalPacket

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:25 AM

x-s users could post their ideas/comments about the features UnleashX devs should add in futures builds. Here's my modest ideas:

A simple text editor cool.gif Editing *.xml files directly from the xbox would be koo
HDtemp support
Builtin save game manager

#2 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:42 AM

id like to see it implement preview vids like mxm and ftp like ava.
oter thant that it seems dead on with everything i might need aside from flashing.

#3 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:06 PM

1) To me, one of the main features that is lacking is scripting ability. The ability to use custom scripts in the config.xml would make this dash pretty close to perfect.

And if you (UnleashX) decide to implement scripting support, there's a particular feature that I have always wanted in EvoX, that hopefully you could implement. It would be great to have the ability to call other scripts and/or apps from within a script. Conditional statements (eg. if, then) would be awesome, too! But that might be asking too much (is it?).

2) The 2nd main feature that would be great would be a few slight improvements to the background music handling. What I think would be cool:
- mp3 (and other major music types) playback
- Specify the path to a music folder within the config.xml (eg. F:music), for those of us who don't use the MS dash to rip CDs
- Play control buttons (play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind, skip). It would be cool to make extra skin tags to handle this, so we could make custom buttons to match our skins.

3) This has already been mentioned, but the ability to flash your chip's BIOS is almost essential

[EDIT] Just thought of another thing...

4) The ability to use relative pathnames in the config.xml. I noticed it's already available for the <Skin path> tag. It would be handy to be able to use for all the pathnames.

Edited by dzv, 29 November 2003 - 04:09 PM.

#4 lusken

lusken

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:16 PM

Wake on Lan would be nice. See my general request...
http://forums.xbox-s...30&t=131590&hl=

thelusk

#5 jlm5151

jlm5151

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (dzv @ Nov 29 2003, 01:06 PM)
1)  To me, one of the main features that is lacking is scripting ability.  The ability to use custom scripts in the config.xml would make this dash pretty close to perfect.

And if you (UnleashX) decide to implement scripting support, there's a particular feature that I have always wanted in EvoX, that hopefully you could implement.  It would be great to have the ability to call other scripts and/or apps from within a script.  Conditional statements (eg. if, then) would be awesome, too!  But that might be asking too much (is it?).

2)  The 2nd main feature that would be great would be a few slight improvements to the background music handling.  What I think would be cool:
- Specify the path to a music folder within the config.xml (eg. F:music), for those of us who don't use the MS dash to rip CDs
- Play control buttons (play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind, skip).  It would be cool to make extra skin tags to handle this, so we could make custom buttons to match our skins.

3)  This has already been mentioned, but the ability to flash your chip's BIOS is almost essential

4)  The ability to use relative pathnames in the config.xml.  I noticed it's already available for the <Skin path> tag.  It would be handy to be able to use for all the pathnames.

You do know that Media X Menu supports full action scripting correct? Might wanna take a look here http://forums.xbox-s...php?act=SF&f=58

#6 amstrad

amstrad

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:13 PM

• SHORTCUTS!!!!!!! Like in XBMC, where it searches for all .xbe files and makes a shortcut menu to them! That would rock!!!

• One big small problem at the moment is that the rightbutton on the d-pad changes the song, but when your entering a password, the right d-pad button still changes music, so everytime you try to scroll along the buttons, the music changes, which is quite annoying.

Other than that - great job!

#7 a weasel

a weasel

X-S Senior Member

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 197 posts
    • Interests:my balls

Posted 29 November 2003 - 05:54 PM

this one may seem kinda weak but its really bothering me...

items on menus just disapear in plain sight when scrolling. might wanna make them fade out or something. it would look more professional

there needs to be a boundry limit on text so when game names are too long it doesnt mess everything up, same with newsfeed, this should be skin defined.

yea and i second the mp3 support.

#8 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,330 posts
    • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (dzv @ Nov 29 2003, 06:06 PM)
    1) To me, one of the main features that is lacking is scripting ability. The ability to use custom scripts in the config.xml would make this dash pretty close to perfect.

And if you (UnleashX) decide to implement scripting support, there's a particular feature that I have always wanted in EvoX, that hopefully you could implement. It would be great to have the ability to call other scripts and/or apps from within a script. Conditional statements (eg. if, then) would be awesome, too! But that might be asking too much (is it?).

2) The 2nd main feature that would be great would be a few slight improvements to the background music handling. What I think would be cool:
    - Play control buttons (play, pause, stop, fast forward, rewind, skip). It would be cool to make extra skin tags to handle this, so we could make custom buttons to match our skins.

3) This has already been mentioned, but the ability to flash your chip's BIOS is almost essential

4) The ability to use relative pathnames in the config.xml. I noticed it's already available for the <Skin path> tag. It would be handy to be able to use for all the pathnames.

1) There's some of "scripting" built into it. Please see the "docs" for this". I think the only dash that supports real scripting with all the features you wanted is BenJeremy's MXM.

2) The support for multimedia is limited. I never design this to be a full-featured multimedia player. This is a dashboard first, and we have great players already. I'll try supporting MP3 but that's not immediately on my list. Anything that would prove to slowdown this app will be removed from the list of my priorities.

3) Flashing, though one of the planned feature, is at the bottom of my list. Again, I designed this dash with safety in mind. I think I made that pretty clear in the docs.

4) There's a bug with the detection on bootup right now (fixed already), but you can use reletive paths to everything, except using the ".." to point one folder up.

Rest assured, these request are being thought of carefully. Speed and agility/responsiveness is one of the main feature I would like UnleashX to be known of, among other things.

#9 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (amstrad @ Nov 29 2003, 07:13 PM)
  • SHORTCUTS!!!!!!! Like in XBMC, where it searches for all .xbe files and makes a shortcut menu to them! That would rock!!!

• One big small problem at the moment is that the rightbutton on the d-pad changes the song, but when your entering a password, the right d-pad button still changes music, so everytime you try to scroll along the buttons, the music changes, which is quite annoying.

Other than that - great job!

• Shortcuts? For what? Doesn't UnleashX autolist all the xbe's it can find on your HD?

The Music and DPad this has been put to my attention and quite aware of it. I'm gonna do something about it.

#10 amstrad

amstrad

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
    • 0 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:17 PM

no it dosnt, it just finds stuff in areas you tell it to look in the .config file, it dosn't search the ENTIRE hard drive!

#11 scribla

scribla

X-S Senior Member

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 190 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (unleashx @ Nov 29 2003, 08:45 PM)
    2) The support for multimedia is limited. I never design this to be a full-featured multimedia player. This is a dashboard first, and we have great players already. I'll try supporting MP3 but that's not immediately on my list. Anything that would prove to slowdown this app will be removed from the list of my priorities.

I hope it stays that way. I like the good looking, functional, logical, small footprint dashboard that it is right now. If I want a slow loading media rich frenzy to impress my friends I'd just run MXM.

No disrespect to MXM, it rocks, but I think UX has got the balance between good solid funtionality and cheap thrills about right. Rock on.

#12 49er

49er

X-S Young Member

• Members
    • Pip
    • 55 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:27 PM

[My first post in the UnleashX forum.]

UnleashX - Great dash, thanks! And I'm already looking forward to the next release.

I hope you stick with your convictions and keep this a small and fast dash.

My 'wishlist':

1. Screen calibration. Just nice and simple x and y positioning. All TVs are different and most skins appear off center for me.
    2. Custom fonts.
    3. Flash BIOS.
    4. Customiseable screensaver (add text elements e.g. SongName, etc).

I really can't think of anything else right now (beyond basics/bug fixes).

#13 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (amstrad @ Nov 29 2003, 10:17 PM)
    no it dosnt, it just finds stuff in areas you tell it to look in the .config file, it dosn't search the ENTIRE hard drive!

That's the trade-off we all have to deal with. You don't want a dash that takes forever and a day to load, do you? biggrin.gif

Anyways, are you talking about XBMP's shortcut (their .cut files)?

#14 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:47 PM

@49er,
    Screen calibration may not be there for a while. But I may suggest that you use the safe area instead when designing a skin. Leave 34-40 pixels on each side, and 25-30 pixels on the vertical. Working within these bounds should take care of your items.

Custom font is coming along just fine. I just did the font for the Infotext. I'm on to Menu font. I guess I have to limit custom fonts to those two sections. Though, I have to settle for the XPR format. TTF just takes much longer to load and render that it's not even close to being funny.

Flashing of BIOS may not be there for a long time. I have my reasons and it's stated in the docs. Until everything is A okay, don't expect it to be there. You still have EvolutionX/FlashX/raincoat for that, right?

I'll see what I can do with the screen saver. It's something I had to rush for the initial release. You can change the text right now, but that's about it.

#15 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 1,827 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 10:52 PM

Are the XPR fonts made the same way as they are made for mxm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users