582 replies to this topic

#61 TechJosh

TechJosh

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (XBoxgeek @ Dec 2 2003, 08:11 PM)
At the end of the day *any* xbox can run an X2 bios via TSOP if you want. Yes I know you can't then use live. If you want live, upgrade your chip so you can have an X2 & M$ bios at the same time. For the cost of a game, get an x2.3 and be done with it. I don't think it is worth development time when there are other alternatives out there.

XBoxGeek has the right idea, but for a less permanent, easier, and safer alternative... why not just use the Phoneix Bios Loader:

1. Use XBTool to edit your favorite X2 BFM bios (presumibly a version with IGR)
You want to make sure that whatever your current modchip boots to is not in the list of dashes to boot. Write down whatever you set the first dash to.

2. Write down the name of your currently booting dash. Rename the dash you want to boot to the name you wrote down in step 1.

3. Rename the Phoneix Bios Loader xbe to the name you wrote down in step 2.

Or, those of you with older modchips COULD use your Christmas/birthday/piggy-bank money to get yourselves NEW MODCHIPS

It is my firm believe that IGR should not reside in the Dashboard, but in the bios itself. Team Xecuter has done a lot of hard work to give us IGR and while it may not be 100% perfect it still beats getting up off the couch 95% of the time.

If you don't want IGR you can always disable it with a specially named file. In fact, with some basic scripting features you could do this automatically for games that don't work with IGR? (Not sure if you need a reboot or not to disable/enable IGR with a file?)

I should mention that I haven't gotten around to trying unleashx, but so far I like what I've seen and heard.

In closing... Don't drive @unleashx crazy with requests for features that nobody needs (like in-dash IGR). There are better (in-bios) solutions available. Besides, the dash shouldn't even have IGR to begin with.

#62 Kermit_2002

Kermit_2002

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:03 PM

Ok, here's a new idea:

if coding a IGR into the dash is to difficult, why not sort of team up with Phoenix?
Imaging this: The dash loads, on the background phoenix loads the newest bios (which supports IGR), everybody happy. Users with older chips get automatically the newest bios loaded, users with newer modchips don't use the function at all. smile.gif

#63 TwinkleTwinkle

TwinkleTwinkle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:19 PM

Damn.. this is one awesome dash... It has replaced my EvoX already..

One wishlist item I can think of right now: make the music play really random. When I start up the dash, it always plays the same song first and subsequent songs are in the same random order as always. Perhaps use the system time as seed for the random number generator?

TT

#64 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:28 PM

I think a lot of the suggestions people are making here would be going against the basic principle of UnleashX. This dash is intended to be lean, fast, and simple (which it has accomplished beautifully). Integrating a web broswer, pop/smtp, IGR, etc are things that (IMO) should be left as separate apps or BIOS features.

Or... smile.gif

(I don't know how easy/efficient this would be to code) If people REALLY want all of these extra features, perhaps UnleashX could have some sort of 'plug-in' capability, allowing other programs to run as a thread in the dash, instead of another separate app. These 'plug-in' programs could have access to, and make use of, some of the dash's built-in functions, such as the file management, networking, ftp server, etc. This could allow other coders to write all those wonderful programs, and integrate them seemlessly into the dash, without bloating the dash itself.

#65 joele

joele

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:42 PM

My only wish for this program (as has everything I could want ATM) would be for the background music in the dash to play my MP3 files rather than me having to convert and load up my already large MP3 collection in my e:/music folder so the Dash can play them.

#66 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (joele @ Dec 3 2003, 12:42 AM)
My only wish for this program (as has everything I could want ATM) would be for the background music in the dash to play my MP3 files rather than me having to convert and load up my already large MP3 collection in my e:/music folder so the Dash can play them.

I agree, and that was one of my first requests. However, I now realize why it wasn't done in the original release. UnleashX relies on using a lot of the MS dash to perform it's functions. I'm guessing UnleashX is using the MS dashboard's music player for the background music. Now, I'm sure it would be very easy to change the location where it looks for music, but the MS dash doesn't support mp3 playback. Therefore, an mp3 codec would have to be integrated, and possibly a whole new music player.

edit: spelling

Edited by dzv, 02 December 2003 - 11:03 PM.

#67 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:10 PM

Another 'wish':

A way to create separate batch functions in Config.xml, not just using the <Batch="True"> tag for a list item. For example, for Autolaunch features, I would like to create a custom batch function that will use the AskUser dialog box so that I can decide if I want to use the Autolaunch program or not.

[EDIT]
Example of how I would like it to work:
CODE
<DVD AutoLaunch="Yes">AutoLaunchDVD</DVD>

<Batch Arg1="AutoLaunchDVD">
   <Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Launch DVD?">A DVD video disc has been detected.  Would you like to launch your DVD player now?</Item>
   <Item Action="E:\Apps\RegionFreeDash\default.xbe">DVD</Item>
</Batch>

Edited by dzv, 02 December 2003 - 11:19 PM.

#68 winbypin86

winbypin86

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 December 2003 - 01:33 AM

In Game Reset is the only request i have at the moment (besides the already ask about a million times mp3 background music support)

#69 teufel

teufel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 01:49 AM

Sorry if its already been said but I would love to see the xbox 2 xbox ftp just like the one that is in Avalaunch. Its so nice to be able to connect two xboxes with a cross over cable and not have to deal with connecting them to a pc to transfer files. This is the only thing I miss.

Unleashx is the best smile.gif keep up the good work !

#70 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 December 2003 - 08:10 AM

XBox FTP client is one of the priority features I'd like to add in. It's actually the top priority, but I have to iron everything out with the current release before I start plugging the code in.

#71 teufel

teufel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:41 AM

Awesome I cant wait beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

#72 Cyberkiddie

Cyberkiddie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:25 AM

tongue.gif it would be very cool , if you can change the color of your led (just like in Avalaunch).

And keep the color alive everytime you boot op the xbox smile.gif

Color your Box !!!!!!

CyberKiddie dry.gif

#73 Frop

Frop

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 December 2003 - 02:54 PM

Wow, Well atleast you have alot of support.... and a request list that would take a year to complete.. Let me first say good job, I love the fast loading, which is my main objection to MXM, It's best auto-dectecting the dirs we select.. Don't worry about IGR at this point, atleast some of us can just use an X2 bios for that.. Evox can take of flashing too, not like that's a daily use. As soon as I get my skin converted, Ill be reflashing my box with UnleashX as the new dash.. Kudos.

The only main feature I really want right now is an ability to customize the loading screen.

Prolly be a good Idea to fix the track skipping well using the virtual keyboard too.

I'm also looking forward to the WMA - skin vids support as well.

#74 Muzzakus

Muzzakus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:26 AM

I may aswell add to this abundant list.

The FTP client as said by Unleashx is priority so thats sensational.

One thing if interested in cosmetic tips is to utilise the same technique for menu scrolling as evo-x. Where the selected item always remains in the central position of the list. The items above and below the slected item gradually have a faded out effect. I think this in itself is the finsihing touch that makes the app look very professiona

Muzzakus

#75 unleashx

unleashx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:39 AM

Try looking at the Matrix skin, for an Evox-like behavior. Though I scrapped the gradation/fade effect thing before the first release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users