BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:35 PM

Anybody up to the task? It's a p[roject I've been meaning to do (well, the Evo-X to MXM skin converter), but it seems that there's enough similarity between MXM and UnleashX to handle conversion between (unless video is involved, since UnleashX doesn't support that yet)

Even if it's not perfect (for example, MXM doesn't have a "3-D orb" yet), it would go a long way to creating more skins for MXM and UnleashX - a worthy goal, right?

#2 MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:07 PM

not a bad idea. that would really increase the amount of MXM skins floating around. I have already taken it upon myself to convert a few of my favorite evox skins and bring them up to MXM standards (digitech 1.0, and 2.0)

Cant wait to see if someone is able to create a converter biggrin.gif

#3 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:11 AM

I'd like to give this a try. I don't think the Evox conversion will be too difficult, but converting between UnleashX and MXM will be a lot more work. One problem I have is that I haven't found any sort of skinning "API" reference for Evox. I could look in a few skins, but I'd rather have a complete list of variables and usage. I've checked the forums and tutorials, but haven't found anything very helpful. If someone would point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated.

Ackbar

#4 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:35 AM

What language will you be using to write this?

#5 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:39 AM

I was thinking Java, as I dont have VS.NET right now, and I know that not all people use Windows. This way, everybody should be able to use it no matter what OS they're using. It also should help with the XML handling.

#6 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:19 AM

Sweet... Can't wait to see the project started. Have you looked into the MXM, UX, and EvoX skinners sources if they're available?

#7 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:26 AM

Then I could bundle it with skinner, and all will be good wink.gif

#8 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:52 AM

No, I haven't looked at any of those sources yet. I've only looked into MXM skinners, and I only see one, which is made using .NET.

I'm going to look into the evox ones to see how they do the parsing...

Edited by ackbar9722, 16 January 2004 - 02:05 AM.

#9 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:52 AM

I WAS talking about MXM skinner (the only one? So how could you have looked into the sources?)

MXM Skinner is made using VB6. The XML parsing is done through the free ChilkatXML component.

If you want to look at MXM Skinner sources, pm me

#10 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:12 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that I've only *used* the MXM skinner. And I think I got confused, because I was also thinking of the Menu editors when I mentioned .NET.

#11 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

geniusalz whatever happened to you adding a unleash x part to mxm skinner? Just didn't take off right?

Well whatever i can't wait for this beerchug.gif

#12 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:14 PM

I decided to do somewhat of a rework of how things work, then I got busy with other stuff, and right now it's just sitting there, waiting to be finished. Full UX support is sorta messy, with 'modes' and all.

#13 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:24 AM

"modes"? what do you mean by "modes"?

I'm slowly working on the converter... what I really hope to do is get a multi-dashboard skin editor, where a person makes the skin and it can be saved in any of the multiple formats... the major problem is lack of support for videos/sounds and some picture formats... but, if i can just get stills to work for viewing, I think it would be well worth it. I for one could really care less about viewing the videos themselves in an editor, as long as they line up correctly on the real thing. I'm a little rusty with my programming, since I haven't been doing much of anything since I graduated last May (I really need a job). Obviously it would be a huge work in progress, but it's something for me to do and learn from, while I continue my dismal job search.

#14 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:44 PM

'modes' as in UX mode, MXM mode, etc

Here's the sources for MXM Skinner (vb6) for the current progress (a little messy)

#15 ackbar9722

ackbar9722

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:12 PM

Heh, I grew up with BASIC, but haven't used it for like 5+ years. Never used VB, only BASICA and QBASIC. I switched to C++ when I went into college. I'm working on Java for the time being... and some assembly. It'd take me a while to figure out the way of VB and their interface stuff works, although it's probably better than MFC (it's a complete mess)...

I find this amusing:

Basic was the first product sold by MS corporation, and also the first major case of software piracy - It was copied widely even before MS made it available (Bill Gates lost track of a copy on paper tape during a computer show).

And the copying legacy continues! laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users