4 replies to this topic

#1 DVantrease

DVantrease

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:45 AM

I have been connecting my xbox to my pc network (wired) when I want to edit my evox.ini etc. I just picked up my first laptop, and it would be easier to do it all with a laptop connection. This is a used/older laptop running Win98SE. It has two PCMCIA slots, on one I'm using a wireless network card, the other is open so I'm thinking I need PCMCIA ethernet card (correct?). Will I then be able to connected directly from my laptop to my xbox w/o a router? Would I need a crossover cable? And my big concern, will there be problems with having both a wireless network card and an ethernet card installed at the same time? Thanks!

Edited by DVantrease, 30 November 2003 - 11:46 AM.

#2 stiGGy

stiGGy

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:56 AM

it should work fine, just put a wired network card in your laptop and use a crossover cable to connect directly to the xbox

#3 Jesper64

Jesper64

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:57 AM

You can definitely use the PCMCIA ethernet adapter with some crossover cable to connect directly to your xbox.

I'm not sure about running it in conjunction with the Wireless card there may be some problems. Not only software, but possibly also physical. Because if you get a dongleless PCMCIA adapter it probably won't fit when you have your wireless card plugged in. I'm thinking the wireless has the big chunky thing sticking out of it.

If not just when you want to connect your xbox, just disconnect the wireless card (through win98) no need to physically eject it.

#4 DVantrease

DVantrease

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:03 PM

Yeah, I think there's physically room for both being plugged in at the same time (the wireless is thin, I haven't bought the ethernet yet). I was more concerned about things like the IP address(es) getting screwy. I mean if the laptop gets assigned an IP address from my wireless router, will this screw things up once I go to connect it to the laptop. I'm not a network guru by any means, so thought I'd ask. I could easily just eject or disable the wireless when I need to connect to the xbox, just to be sure.

OfficeMax has the PCMCIA ethernet on sale this week for 9.99 after rebate, thats why I was thinking about picking one up.

#5 xbox-noObie

xbox-noObie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:22 PM

i've done this..and i have a integrated wireless and integrated ethernet port..only thing i've seen happen was whenever i connected to my xbox my internet wouldnt work but would work when i took the cable out...and yeah you should use a crossover cable...works for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users