• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gainer

Gainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 01:31 PM

haven't heard any word of a new one... last thing posted at their site was dated july or august....

I really appriciate the work the Pheonix team did, I am just wondering if they plan on implementing focus support or if they see it as a non-issue.

#2 Gainer

Gainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:59 PM

Nobody has heard anything?

sad.gif Guess its good that it is open source then....

Wonder if the code for the X2 4797 can be reused a bit....

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:23 PM

I dont see what the problem is, apps do not need to be re-coded to work with the new video chip; if that was the case, no previously released games would work on new xbox's.

#4 Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 December 2003 - 02:58 PM

Since PBL is not built using the XDK, I think that it is directly writing to video memory instead of using the directx calls. (I think it's writing directly to the video buffer.)

If the layout of the buffer changed, then the code would need to be changed to interact with the new layout. Games that use the XDK function calls would bot be effected as they use the DirectX support built into the BIOS.

This is a guess on my part after looking at the PBL source.

Morden.

#5 Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 03:14 PM

Ok... Looked at the code....

Not quite sure how everything works, but it is obvious that PBL writes directly to the framebuffer without using any DirectX calls.

I would once again guess that the format of the framebuffer, or the status flags for the chip changed, and PBL needs to be updated to work with the new chip.

But, that being said, I am not a PBL dev, so I could be blowing smoke out of my ass... Artifex, any input?

Morden.

#6 Gainer

Gainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:04 PM

Seems to be writing directly to the frame buffer to me...

The reason games don't need to be changed, is as Morden said, they interact with teh hardware through api's. They tell the graphics chip what to do, the graphics chip pipes through the video output chip which the BIOS has already initiated. PBL is pre-bios, so it cannot do the same thing.

I guess its a pretty fresh issue, and they may already be working on it/ have solved it.... but I haven't heard anything about a new PBL since late July, except for 1.35i

#7 Gainer

Gainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:06 PM

Oh and fer all the people who are gonna flame and say "it doesn't matter if its garbled", the reason I am interested is that I'd love to have multiple bioses on there (and do), and its really hard to tell which one is selected through the garbledness on my smallish TV.

#8 Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:12 PM

As a fix for your problem, not a good one but a workaround.... Do this:

Name your BIOS's:
1_whatever
2_whatever
3_whatever

PBL will enter the BIOS menu on 1_whatever by default, pressing down will change to 2_whatever, etc.

The only catch is if you have more than 9 BIOS's. If that the case name them 01_whatever as the default sort goes 1,10,2,20,etc.

Morden.

#9 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 December 2003 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Gainer @ Dec 1 2003, 02:04 PM)
Seems to be writing directly to the frame buffer to me...

The reason games don't need to be changed, is as Morden said, they interact with teh hardware through api's. They tell the graphics chip what to do, the graphics chip pipes through the video output chip which the BIOS has already initiated. PBL is pre-bios, so it cannot do the same thing.

yes, i understand how it works, I was unaware of the fact that PBL did not use the xdk libs/headers. And its not loaded "pre bios"

#10 Gainer

Gainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:26 PM

hehe
yer right, its not pre-bios, I realized that was stuoid when I wrote it, but I was tired. :-p

I will do that morden, good idea.

#11 DrPsyber

DrPsyber

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:05 AM

I've found a combination of PBL 1.3.5i and X-ecuter2 build 4979.6 BFM works great on the 1.4/1.5 XBOX's with the focus chip.

The only thing I don't like about PBL 1.3.5i is how much longer it takes to load, I liked the way 1.3 loaded. And how about the text screens at load? Is there any way to get rid of that? I've thought about editing the font file and just making all the letters black on black, but it would still take just as long to load.

Phoenix team, this is my plea, I've seen enough PC style boots on my PC. Can you please make something more visually pleasing so I can feel better about leaving my XBOX attached to my home theater?

#12 NerdENerd

NerdENerd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 December 2003 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (DrPsyber @ Dec 3 2003, 11:05 AM)
I've found a combination of PBL 1.3.5i and X-ecuter2 build 4979.6 BFM works great on the 1.4/1.5 XBOX's with the focus chip.

The only thing I don't like about PBL 1.3.5i is how much longer it takes to load, I liked the way 1.3 loaded. And how about the text screens at load? Is there any way to get rid of that? I've thought about editing the font file and just making all the letters black on black, but it would still take just as long to load.

Phoenix team, this is my plea, I've seen enough PC style boots on my PC. Can you please make something more visually pleasing so I can feel better about leaving my XBOX attached to my home theater?

Just use Phoenix 1.3.
The only thing that 1.3.5i has over 1.3 is the ability to select multiple bioses.
1.3 will do exactly what you want.

#13 ripcurl

ripcurl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

1.3 is faster....do you guys also have the problem of having multiple controllers in the xbox and pbl hangs when its starting USB.....as soon as you unplug the extra controllers the loading of pbl finishes.....anybody else have this??

#14 morpheous1777

morpheous1777

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modification, Duh !!!!!
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (ripcurl @ Dec 10 2003, 06:42 PM)
1.3 is faster....do you guys also have the problem of having multiple controllers in the xbox and pbl hangs when its starting USB.....as soon as you unplug the extra controllers the loading of pbl finishes.....anybody else have this??

I have the same problem.

I would also like to see a new pheonix bios loader, its been a while since and update has been done, and pbl 1.3.5i was a leaked version, not official. I would to see what the current version is like, even if its not official

#15 []V[]nm6687

[]V[]nm6687

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (ripcurl @ Dec 10 2003, 08:42 PM)

whenever the dvd dongle is in, it stops at loading USB and it jsut hangs, then it tells me to reset the box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users