ehosin

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:27 PM

hi,

what media works best with my xbox drive made by SAMSUNG - I made a bios CD using a CD-R because i heard that samsung reads CDR? I also hear from somewhere else that XBOX can never read CD-R??? what is this about? can someone pls clarify this for me?

Many Thanks

#2 HAL2001

HAL2001

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:37 PM

You're in luck the samsung drive can read many types of media fairly easily, however, no xbox drive will be able to read a cd-r. Anybrand cd-rw should work, I used Memorex on my Thompson drive and they worked fine. If they can read on a Thompson, I'm sure a Samsung will be able to read 'em.

hal.

#3 silentkiller

silentkiller

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:44 PM

Samsungs will read anything, including CD-R. It should be able to read just about any brand. Many xboxes can read CD-Rs, it just depends on the drive in them. Samsungs read the biggest variety of media, anything from cheap CD-R up. Some phillips (like mine) can read CD-Rs and Thompsons normally can't read them.

#4 HAL2001

HAL2001

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 04:49 PM

...ah, I stand corrected. Thanks silentkiller.

#5 dinokathy

dinokathy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

Hi all. One of my first posts here in the Scene. Been coming here reading for a while and find a great deal of contradicting information. I am waiting for my Xecuter 2.2Lite+ to arrive and then the DVD writer (The new Plextor internal 8X) is coming too (Christmas came early this year!). I have a 1.1 Xbox and the Samsung drive with the stock 8GB WD (Got the 200GB WD from Circuit City on Black Friday).

Three real specific questions:

- What kind of DVD media will my drive play (heard they only do DVD-R and DVD-RW, none of that + stuff

- What brand is the most compatible? (Some posts say cheap media brands are good)

- Who's to thank for such an informative site?

Thanks all

Edited by dinokathy, 30 November 2003 - 10:25 PM.

#6 Foxile

Foxile

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 07:41 PM

I have the Sammy drive in my X-Box. It reads CD-R fine, as well as the obligatory CD-R/W and DVD-R. Afaik, it'll read DVD-R/W, DVD+R and DVD+R/W too.

I'm using a Pioneer DVR-106D writer an Mirror DVD-R discs ( EBuyer in the UK are doing a good bundle for both ). SO far, no coasters and the X-Box has read the discs without a single hitch. biggrin.gif cool.gif

I have an Xecuter 2.2Lite and I'm using a version of the 4977 bios as well wink.gif

#7 alg20

alg20

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2003 - 07:48 PM

ahh I got a thomson and like I can read CD-R sony only tho. It wont read any of the other 3 brands that I just happened to try. It was an old SOny CD-R slow speed kine.

but i ordered my NEW BLACK SAMSUNG 616t that I can hardly wait to try out!!!

beerchug.gif

#8 BonerDoner

BonerDoner

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:18 PM

I would recommend going for the sample pack from allmediaoutlet.com. It has 2 discs from 5 different brands i believe, and it helped me determine that my thomson can read princo's excellently, and ritek terribly. There is also like a 30 page thread on this topic, so i would recommend doing a search for more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users