11 replies to this topic

#1 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:54 PM

Can I get Evox (or any other dash) on my xbox with an old enigmah chip?

Can I use the Slayers CD / If so - what should i choose?

I would like evox to be my main dash. I'm asking because i've tried so many things and I better just ask a professional before it's too late. smile.gif

#2 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:07 AM

Sure.

Custom dash has to be xboxdash.xbe
MS dash has to be msxboxdash.xbe

But then you can't use Live if you are planning to. If you want, you will have to put the custom dash off a CD, and if you want to use Live, turn modchip off and use Live.

#3 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:15 AM

nice - thanks. i have no problems with losing live. i had an account for a year and never used it... hehe.

i guess my question is this - it keeps stating that my harddrive is locked. i'm guessing this is standard even with my enigmah chip running. so that's where i'm confused - i can ftp into my box through slayers - but since it's locked i can't rename the files. or transfer.

i was thinking maybe i could put boxplorer on a cd somehow... i'll keep trying.

if anyone has any input and doesn't mind sharing that would be great. i have all the nessecary stuff so i don't need anything but alittle guidance. wink.gif

thanks!

#4 Intelligoth

Intelligoth

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:32 AM

On my first Xbox I have an EnigmaH chip installed. I was able to load the Evox dashboard onto the HDD after a bit of trial and error.

1 - I created an Evox boot CD and started up with that.
2 - FTP'd into the Xbox and completely backed up the C: drive to a PC folder then burned to CD for safekeeping.
3 - FTP'd the Evox files onto the C: drive, renaming Evox's XBE file to MSXBOXDASH.XBE. This allowed to boot into Evox since EnigmaH does not recognize evoxdash.xbe

I ran like this for about 4 days. Then decided I hated EnigmaH and HAD to have Executer instead.

4 - Enabled the TSOP flash using a DPDT switch.
5 - Wired EnigmaH to another DPDT switch so I could turn it off.
6 - Created a BIOS folder on the C: drive of the Xbox and FTP'd Execiter 4976_02 1MB image into it.
7 - Disabled Enigmah, Enabled TSOP flash with the switches
8 - Using Evox's BIOS flash feature, I flashed the Xbox TSOP with Executer and left EnigmaH off.
9 - Installed an 80 Gig hard drive and prepped it for both MS and Evox boot.

This I left alone until last week when I found out how to bankswitch the TSOP.

10 - Installed a DPST switch to A19, VCC and Ground so I could bankswitch between the first and last 512K banks on the TSOP.
11 - Flashed Bank 1 with Executer 4979_06 and Bank 2 with original MS BIOS 3944
12 - Locked HDD using ConfigMagic.

Now I can just flip a switch and have my Xbox either run in "factory" or Executer modes. Uber sweet, especially if I ever decide to go on Live.

Hope this helps you.

#5 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for all that info - The first part makes sense; still learning the rest. I'm not sure how i feel about the enigmah; the deal is - i got that chip over a year ago - had it in another xbox. ended up taking the chip out when live first came out; but didn't matter anyways because a storm hit my house and friend the nic card of the xbox... so i got a new xbox (which is what i'm currently using). had it softmodded up until a month ago when i decided to mess around... i messed something up - so i had to put the chip back in to solve the problem. it did. so i left it in. but now i realized some of my old games won't play. so i figure maybe if i go back into evox they will work...? it's probably a bios thing - so i'll probably have to take the chip back out... haha...

is that way you don't like the enigmah - because it's not upgradable?

#6 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 December 2003 - 12:46 AM

Enigmah is old. No one likes it wink.gif

- No support for upgraded HDs
- No BIOS flashing on modchip
- 29 wires.. is that right?
- It came out almost 2 years ago laugh.gif

#7 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:00 AM

yup 29 wires... i hated that the first time i had to do it... and the second time wasn't anymore enjoyable (albeit a tad easier) but, still a pain.

i probably will get a new chip soon though.

#8 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:23 AM

I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question:

I have nextgen menu installed; which allows me to boot to ms dash (actually get an error 21 with that...no big deal right now); evox dash; avalaunch; & mxm dash.

So far i'm loving it.

I remember when i had it softmodded (without the enigmah chip) i could boot right into all this and play anything. i had some kind of fonts - can't remember sad.gif

since i only did it once and got it to work i never backed it up or wrote down how i did it.

so my question is - i did put the complex fonts on this time; and i'm wondering - if i take my modchip out will it still boot into nextgen?

#9 Intelligoth

Intelligoth

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:25 AM

Listen... quit screwing around with that EnigmaH and softmods Get yourself an Executer or flash your TSOP. Far less hassle.

#10 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:28 AM

what's the benefit of a newer chip vs softmod?

#11 frenzal_dude

frenzal_dude

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:skating, surfing, mountain bike riding, xbox, computer

Posted 02 December 2003 - 03:42 AM

softmod isnt always as safe and reliable as a modchip.. i recommend just using a modchip

#12 notehku

notehku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:49 AM

just ordered an x-ecuter 2.3 lite from system mods; so i'm sure i'll be good to go in a few days. ph34r.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users