• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zombie28

zombie28

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:08 AM

This is my first post here, and after about a month of lurking around this forum, I would like to take a few minutes to share something I discovered about my xbox.

note: I just recently modded my xbox a few days ago, but my tests were done during the boring time time when I waited for my Matrix chip.

I bought the xbox sega bundle about a month ago, in Toronto - Canada. Using pics posted in these forums, I verified that is has a Thompson DVD drive.

I read many times in either tutorials, faqs and in messages that CDRs would NOT work in xbox (except for those with Samsung DVD drives). I bought a bunch of Princo CDRWs (which read fine in xbox) without even trying CDRs. But out of boredom and curiosity, I tried putting in some old audio discs that I burned on several different CDR media. All of these were burnt at 4x, because my old HP burner maxes out at that speed.

Result: about half of the media I tested worked perfectly, while half would not read. The ones that worked are Princo (white label), Gigastorage, silver tops (probably some are Princo too). Some that did not work included Acer, RCA, artmedia, and TDK.

So while CDRs "do not work" might be true for many xboxes, it is not a fact for all xboxes!

Hope this might benefit some people who didn't even try using CDRs, such as myself (before I did my little test).

#2 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 November 2002 - 06:46 AM

So while CDRs "do not work" might be true for many xboxes, it is not a fact for all xboxes!

Hope this might benefit some people who didn't even try using CDRs, such as myself (before I did my little test).

Glad to hear a Thompson owner getting CDR to work. I'm convinced, that when burned properly... CDR are an excellent alternative to DVDR, specially when they provide a cheaper alternative. Many Images are small enough to only need CDR.

#3 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 November 2002 - 08:20 AM

it's really not worth the bother, truthfully - there are only a handful of games that will fit on cdr, and to be honest, they are miserable ps-2 like games, that aren't worth wasting even a cdr on. Yes, there are good games that have been downsampled and ripped down to fit on a cdr, but, I wouldn't waste my time with them, the great graphics of the xbox is wasted on blocky videos ( if they haven't been removed completely) - I ran across a rip of one game that had all of the sound effects deleted - yeah it fit on a cd, but it wasn't the same game. Bottom line - If it isn't worth 80 cents for a dvd, is it worth my time to burn it?

#4 82ross

82ross

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 November 2002 - 09:09 PM

My thompson can read some cdrs too smile.gif Usually the cheaper ones work better than the more quality ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users