12 replies to this topic

#1 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 05:41 AM

i dont know if this belongs in this forum, but didn't know where else to put it :/

im interested in replacing the fans in my xbox to make it less noisey (hopefully fully "silent") I've been looking around and found some good 40mm and 60mm fans to replace the gpu and cpu fans on the xbox but would like to know are there any official docs on what the dbA and Cfm on the stock standard xbox fans are?

#2 Jeneral

Jeneral

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 08:13 PM

I know this doesn't answer your question, but from my tests, it appears the GPU fan is the noisiest component in the XBox! It's got a very distinctive high pitched whine. I'd love to be able to get a larger passive cooling solution like the 1.1 Xboxes use.

Jeneral

#3 SeaBass

SeaBass

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 08:17 PM

This might answer your question:

http://www.xbox-scen...ials/pdf/04.pdf

Check tutorials before asking quetions

#4 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 10:49 PM

i wouldn't have asked the question if i hadn't looked before...

i have read that "guide" - how to make your xbox silent, but it DOESN'T tell you what the stock standard xbox fans cfm is, it tells you what the cfm is of the fans he replaces in the guide..

hence why i legitmately asked this question....

"Please read tutorials before answering questions" ?? wink.gif

#5 globalhec

globalhec

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 02:19 AM

How are we supposed to know if you looked there or not since you didn't state so in your origional question.

#6 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 02:23 AM

i figured that would be common sense, nobody should post on these forums unless they have researched their question and havn't found any answers...

I dont really want this to turn into a flamewar ppl, i just want to know if anyone knows the stock standard xbox fans cfm?

#7 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 04:05 AM

Best way to find out is to pop the fan out and look at the model # and designation on the fan itself. It will list the CFM.

Not quite understanding the fetish of silencing fans as it is. My alternative is to turn up the volume on your sound system.

I never hear the damn fan beerchug.gif

#8 forcelite

forcelite

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 05:44 AM

heh, y aI do the same, you cant have your cake and eat it to, you want a nice system with a big harddrive you need a way to cool it.

#9 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 07:22 AM

dark - yeh thats what i think i will have to do, will do it tomorow

was just asking to see if anyone had done this already to save me the trouble

anyways, thanks wink.gif

#10 knowledgeiv

knowledgeiv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 November 2002 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Dark Schneider @ Nov 18 2002, 03:05 AM)
I never hear the damn fan beerchug.gif

Me either. beerchug.gif

As far as the case fan speed goes, I'm guessing from the amount of noise it makes ~ 30cfm. Again, this is just a guess based on my experience with PC's.

Also, the case fan is 70mm, not 60mm. Although you can probably find a way to fit a 60mm in there, you will just not get as much air flow, unless you want MORE noise. dry.gif You can also try squeezing an 80mm fan in there, although I doubt it will fit.

Another option is to reduce the fan speed (and thus noise) with a speed controller or power resistor.

As far as the gpu fan goes, you can replace the heatsink with a larger one and eliminate the fan. You may be able to find one which you can use the same clip for, or you can use some artic silver epoxy.

Keep in mind when you do this that you run the risk of overheating your system. sad.gif

#11 figgy

figgy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 04:12 PM

yeh, i know - have to watch the temp a bit :/

i prolly wont be replacing the case fan just yet, found some good prices on Papst fans for the 40mm gpu and the 60mm cpu fan so that will do me for now wink.gif

#12 Matjo

Matjo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 10:16 PM

Figgy,
Would you share your info on the Pabst fans? How much? Where are you getting them?

#13 Greystorm

Greystorm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 02:00 PM

My Xbox has an NMB fan model number: 2810KL-04W-B50.

A google search pulled up that it is 33.5dB, uses 2.16 watts, 180mA, 3800rpm, and moves 52.8m3/hr (I think that's near 30CFM).

The GPU fan is a AD0412MX-G70. 19dB 5.7CFM.

The "guide" on how to make your Xbox silent is very questionable. Sure it might work fine in cooler climates but the author recommends replacing the main fan with one with a much lower air flow. I would not want to try that in Australia.

From what I understand, the GPU hasn't changed much in the 1.1 Xbox, being the same die size and I would assume having a similar heat output. Obviously it can handle a passive heatsink quite well and in warmer climates. I'm currently scouring the web for a suitable replacement. If I can't find anything then my FOP32 is going to get the chop. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users