• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:Rotary Performance, gaming, car audio, mechanics
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2003 - 05:24 AM

UnleashX FAQ

I know what you're saying, you heard great things about the "new kid" on the block and want to try out UX for yourself..... congratulations for taking the plunge into UX beerchug.gif I'll be adding to this as i go along.....
Let's get started:

What is UnleashX???
UX is an alternative dashboard and application launcher. It's very flexible with skins and plays your custom soundtracks and has a configurable screensaver.

I want to try it, where can i find it???
Age old question posted by the n00bs to the scene, for legal reasons, we can't post binaries compiled with the XDK (xbox dev kit) until the open source compiler gets good enough sad.gif , so to find it compiled then hit up what we know as "the usual places." do a search or read the tutorial on the main scene page.

I've got it, how do i use it??
Well i suggest you use it as an application first before using it full time, just so you get used to it. FTP the default.xbe along with the config.xml to your hard drive, then point your evox/mxm/ava/MS h4xx0r3d dash/nexGen to it and use it for awhile. Before FTP'ing it in, go ahead and open the config.xml and edit it to your liking. (i.e. ip address, fan speed) Then when your comfortable, rename your stock dash something else and stick in the default.xbe and config.xml in your C: drive and rename it what your old dash use to be. Then happy skinning biggrin.gif

This is a great dashboard, and a hell of a debut, where did it come from??
Spontaneity is a great thing, isn't it??? laugh.gif

I heard this dash's skins was one of it strong points, where can i find some??
Look for some at AXS or the support site's In-House skins when it launches.

I love the dash, but why is it not saving my settings change??
Right now there seems to be an issue with the way UX saves the settings, please edit your config.xml with notepad for now until this issue is resolved.

I just updated, and now my skin only shows part of the text (i.e. Dash...., File....., Sett.....), what gives??
Either go into your skin.xml and change the width, or just load up the skin your gonna keep and just reboot biggrin.gif

I love my dash for the fact that it plays music randomly yet i can still pick the next track if i want, but why is the random always the same??
This is due to the way that UX picks the randomization for your playlist, this is getting looked into.

I love being able to pick what song i want to hear in my Soundtracks, but why does it move so fast when i try to change songs????
Right now it's a lil sensitive wink.gif , but it's fixed and will be on the next release

I went and made me a custom screensaver, but everytime it comes on my xbox freezes.
Go ahead and take off the text and just use the screensaver like that, this is getting fixed

When the heck is that helpful and innovative website created by that team of very talented individuals coming??
wink.gif It's on it's way, be prepared for our in-house skins as well as all kinds of tutorials and UX help and updates beerchug.gif

I love the speed of transfers between avalaunch and qwix, any way of emulating that??
UnleashX is talkin to the avalaunch team, we might get that feature wink.gif

Once again, please read over these questions and dont post something that has been answered here, if it hasn't then it probably will be. I'm open to adding more, just post on this thread and i will update as necessary. If somebody that makes a thread asking a question that has been answered here, please point them to this FAQ. It will make our job of helping everybody easier beerchug.gif

UX pWnz j00, n00b!!!!!!!!1111111111

Edited by daviefresh1775, 06 December 2003 - 05:31 AM.

#2 daviefresh1775

daviefresh1775

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 01:06 AM

no suggestions to add to it???

#3 wizrider2

wizrider2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 11:42 AM

I'm interested in trying this dashboard, but one thing I'm keen on isn't clear to me - can you help me out (and put it in the FAQ at the same time)?

Icons.
I spotted that you can have images/icons for each game/app you select on the menu. Some skins have these as small icon sized images, some are much bigger and a few are full screen!

Where do I get these icons from? Are they different from the ones that I see next to my save games in the standard MS dashboard? Can I use those?

Appreciate any help...

WizRider.

#4 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:30 PM

I heard that on the new release you will be able to add an opening video before the dashboard loads kind of like MxM. I just wanted to make sure that was going to still be implimented...... is that how you spell that? LOL. One of my fav features of this is naming the xbox. smile.gif Great job with that. I havnt checked too much into it, but with the music, does it just read the folder where the MS dash saves the music you copy, or can you select a folder where you put all the mp3's and have it play those? That would be a nice feature, if its not in there already.

#5 daviefresh1775

daviefresh1775

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 07:00 PM

@wizrider, new version of UX coming will detect the icon you place in your game folder and use it

@deakphreak, MP3 support is coming wink.gif

#6 Eyedea

Eyedea

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:45 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but I see in skins that UX is displaying a song the person has playing on their Xbox but I'm not sure how to do that.

Do I have to put in a music CD that UX then reads or is that info coming from MP3 files stored on the drive or what? I see all this stuff about soundtracks and playlists but can't quite figure out how you set that all up.

#7 daviefresh1775

daviefresh1775

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:09 PM

go into you msdashboard, pop in a cd, and copy it in, thats what UX plays, either that or transfer WMA files to your xbox with a proggie called Xbox Soundtrack Editor

#8 wizrider2

wizrider2

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 03:05 PM

OK, thanks for the response.
beerchug.gif

I've now got UnleashX as a util that I can run off my EvoX dash (for now anyway - soon to be UnleashX only jester.gif ).

One more question: I have a program that allows me to edit the name of an application/game that appears in the menu (not the physical filename). Thing is, this is a separate tool. I was wondering if this is available anywhere in UnleashX and if not, could it be an option when you click on a single .XBE file in the file explorer?

Cheers...

WizRider.

#9 tweaqr

tweaqr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:22 AM

@daviefresh1775 this hasnt been updated in a while so i did it please copy this over the first post

if you haven't already read this doc as well uleash0251218.zip it is the most informative doc out there for UnleashX

UnleashX FAQ

I know what you're saying, you heard great things about the "new kid" on the block and want to try out UX for yourself..... congratulations for taking the plunge into UX beerchug.gif I'll be adding to this as i go along.....
Let's get started:

What is UnleashX???
UX is an alternative dashboard and application launcher. It's very flexible with skins and plays your custom soundtracks and has a configurable screensaver.

I want to try it, where can i find it???
Age old question posted by the n00bs to the scene, for legal reasons, we can't post binaries compiled with the XDK (xbox dev kit) until the open source compiler gets good enough sad.gif , so to find it compiled then hit up what we know as "the usual places." do a search or read the tutorial on the main scene page.

I've got it, how do i use it??
Well i suggest you use it as an application first before using it full time, just so you get used to it. FTP the default.xbe along with the config.xml to your hard drive, then point your evox/mxm/ava/MS h4xx0r3d dash/nexGen to it and use it for awhile. Before FTP'ing it in, go ahead and open the config.xml and edit it to your liking. (i.e. ip address, fan speed) Then when your comfortable, rename your stock dash something else and stick in the default.xbe and config.xml in your C: drive and rename it what your old dash use to be. Then happy skinning biggrin.gif

This is a great dashboard, and a hell of a debut, where did it come from??
Spontaneity is a great thing, isn't it??? laugh.gif

I heard this dash's skins was one of it strong points, where can i find some and how do i install them??
Look for some at AXS, xboxdojo.com and Xbox-Skins.net.
how to install them.
1) Download a skin
2) Make sure you have a skins folder in the folder you installed UnleashX i.e. e:unleashxskins
3) Create another folder in the skins folder with the name of the skin i.e. e:unleashxskinsmyskin
4) Copy all the files in your downloaded skin into this folder or make shur all of the files are in the root of the zip file and copy the whole zip into this folder
5) Select system configuration from the main menu. Select Skins from this menu. Select your skin
6) Done

I love the dash, but why is it not saving my settings change??
Right now there seems to be an issue with the way UX saves the settings, please edit your config.xml with notepad or get the latest release (V0.25.1218a).

I just updated, and now my skin only shows part of the text (i.e. Dash...., File....., Sett.....), what gives??
Go into your skin.xml and change the width biggrin.gif

I love my dash for the fact that it plays music randomly yet i can still pick the next track if i want, but why is the random always the same??
This is due to the way that UX picks the randomization for your playlist, this is getting looked into.

I love being able to pick what song i want to hear in my Soundtracks, but why does it move so fast when i try to change songs??
It's a lil sensitive with earlier versions wink.gif , but it's fixed in (V0.25.1218a).

I went and made me a custom screensaver, but everytime it comes on my xbox freezes.
This has been fixed in (V0.25.1218a), if you donít want to update go ahead and take off the text and just use the screensaver like that.

When is that helpful and innovative website created by that team of very talented individuals coming??
laugh.gif It's here folks http://www.unleashx.com beerchug.gif Visit the home of UnleashX, and see what it can do for you!

I love the speed of transfers between avalaunch and qwix, any way of emulating that??
unleashx is talkin to the avalaunch team, we might get that feature wink.gif

Is there a way to get rid of that humming noise in the background!!!??
Just go into your settings in Unleash X and turn the "Sound" to zero. You can leave the music at 100 to still have your soundtrack.

Are there any skinning Tutorials Or Skin Apps??
For a Tutorial read the doc that came with the last release, for colors you can use this ColorPicker, as for a skinning program geniusalz and freakdave are working on some. wink.gif
make sure ANY skins submit to AXS are in ZIP format, and not RAR. and that all files are in the root of the ZIP file.

Where is everyone getting their preview videos?and custom Icons?
preview videoscan be found at http://www.gametrailers.com/ biggrin.gif and
custom Iconscan be found at xbox-skins.net

How do I take a screenshot?
press left-thumbpress + black then look for the image in Z:

Once again, please read over these questions, the docs provided with the latest release and don't post something that has been answered here, if it hasn't then it probably will be. I'm open to adding more, just post on this thread and i will update as necessary. If somebody that makes a thread asking a question that has been answered here, please point them to this FAQ. It will make our job of helping everybody easier

UX pWnz j00, n00b!!!!!!!!1111111111

Edited by tweaqr, 13 January 2004 - 09:37 AM.

#10 daviefresh1775

daviefresh1775

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 03:40 AM

thanx for the help bud wink.gif and please remember to visit www.unleashX.com

#11 c_poussard

c_poussard

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 04:47 AM

I've changed the line in config.xml with notepad to True instad of False so it looks like this:
<Newsfeed Enable="True" Interval="30">
<URL>www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/xbox-scene.xml</URL>
<URL>www.xbins.org/xbins.xml</URL>
</Newsfeed>

it still doesnt come up with news feeds...any issues with this or is it my setup?
i have my PC with cable connection...wirelessly to a wireless router(D-link 614+), which is wired to the xbox

my xbox's ip is correct and my default gateway is the ip of my pc's wireless card....any reason why its not working????

#12 XBoxgeek

XBoxgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 December 2003 - 08:52 AM

Just make sure you have a skin that has the News Feed variable defined. If it doesn't, having <Newsfeed Enable="True" Interval="30"> won't work. (Well it does work, it just does not display the news)

Note:- The WinUX skin does not have any News.

Hope that helps

Xboxgeek

#13 PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 10:58 AM

Ok I'm a TOTAL N00B, just got my XBOX some day ago and acctually managed somehow to install UnleashX Dashboard (honestly...it wasn't a big deal), set it up just like i want, but i can't seem to successefully install new SKINS.

So please can anyone explain to me STEP by STEP how to install new skins into unleadshx dashboard .

Thx.

#14 XBoxgeek

XBoxgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:13 PM

1) Download a skin
2) Make sure you have a skins folder in the folder you installed UnleashX i.e. e:\unleashx\skins
3) Create another folder in the skins folder with the name of the skin i.e. e:\unleashx\skins\myskin
4) Copy all the files in your downloaded skin into this folder
5) Select system configuration from the main menu. Select Skins from this menu. Select your skin
6) Done

Cheers

#15 PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:27 PM

That's exactly what i've have been doing the whole day...but it doesn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users