6 replies to this topic

#1 junglist200

junglist200

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:12 PM

yo all

we just got an xbox (came free with my parents new tv! so naturally ive claimed it as mine, hehe!) and as im a total retard when it comes to pc's/fixing pc's knowing what parts are what or anything....

i was wondering if you kind people could tell me a little about the mods that can be done, are they worth it?
is it easy to break my xbox? i see alot of people complaining about problems...
is it expensive to do?

basically id like to know the pros and cons of modding it before i look into it any further

also, i hear you can copy games to the hard drive... im guessing a new hard drive is needed for that?

thanx for any info you guys can share!

ps,
i think its totaly dishonest and scandalous to copy games or just piracy in general... you people make me sick... dam free loaders, why dont you just buy it instead of getting it for the fast easy route.. for free...

thats theft ya know! havent you ever read the bible?

Edited by junglist200, 07 December 2003 - 11:30 PM.

#2 frenzal_dude

frenzal_dude

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:skating, surfing, mountain bike riding, xbox, computer
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:27 PM

I bought my xbox about 1 year ago.. a few months after i bought it i bought the modchip anda 120GB hdd. It was DEFINATELY worth it.

I can now backup all my games onto my hdd. Play mp3/mpeg movies which were on my computer now on my TV using my xbox. And many other things, like playing xlink which is an xbox online gaming network made for ppl with modchips, and its free!

Pros:
1. It's fun and you learn stax.
2. You can backup all your games, so if you ever need to take your xbox to your friends house to play system link.. you can take all your games with u on your hdd instead of having to carry all the individual discs, very handy!
3. Play any region games. My bro is a pilot and he can buy cheap games from hong kong and play them here in Sydney on my PAL xbox.
4. Play movies/mp3 and lots of other things using the xbox
5. You can use it as a basic PC if you want using linux. Not bad for $200!

Cons:
1. Illegal, some of the things are considered illegal, like the bios and backing up games, but backups are considered legal in some countries.
2. Very small chance of stuffing up your xbox. If you use a solderless modchip then there is basically no chance of stuffing up your xbox. But if you use a solder chip still a very small chance, but it will be much more reliable and you can get it installed by a professional.

It may seem there are many ppl who have problems when installing their chip. But consider that a grain of sand compared to the thousands of ppl who have successful installs and just dont post about it!

#3 junglist200

junglist200

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:13 AM

ok sweet

are there places where i can get it done?

as i have no idea aout how to install a chip, or a new hdd...

i could probly do it if i tried hard enough, but at the end of the day i have ratard sausage fingers and i know id fuck it up some how!

#4 ltoolio

ltoolio

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:23 AM

Depending on what version your XBox is (the older it is from a manufacturing date, the better), you may very well be able to mod it yourself. Espeically with the wealth of knowledge that is in these boards. Some of the mod chips are solderless, which means you just need to align it on the motherboard. Of course, this does mean that you couldn't fuck the XBox up permanently, but the chances go down dramatically.

But, if you don't want to take the chance, try this forum:
Installers....

#5 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:41 AM

Shit, I bought my XBox, originally, to play SNES games on it. I didn't give a fuck about games, and it took a couple months before I bought an upgraded HDD (only because I wanted to have the full MAME set on there). I really still don't give a fuck about the games, really- I play Crazy Climber, Metal Slug X, and some SNES RPGs more than I play the games I have.
Seriously, with enough patience and the right instructions, modding an XBox is easy. It's just the patience part that screws some of these kids- they want to install a modchip, add a bigger HDD, install all the homebrew software and emulators (with full sets), AND add a headphone jack in 3 hours flat. That's where they fuck up. Just dedicate a full night to each goal and you'll be cool.

#6 ltoolio

ltoolio

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 01:44 AM

Seriously, with enough patience and the right instructions, modding an XBox is easy. It's just the patience part that screws some of these kids- they want to install a modchip, add a bigger HDD, install all the homebrew software and emulators (with full sets), AND add a headphone jack in 3 hours flat. That's where they fuck up. Just dedicate a full night to each goal and you'll be cool.

That's well said. Especially with a V1.0-V1.4 and a newer modchip, all it really does take is patience and a bunch of reading. Take the time, print out the instructions, lay out your game plan, and take your time.

#7 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 December 2003 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (junglist200 @ Dec 7 2003, 08:13 PM)
ok sweet

are there places where i can get it done?

as i have no idea aout how to install a chip, or a new hdd...

i could probly do it if i tried hard enough, but at the end of the day i have ratard sausage fingers and i know id fuck it up some how!

I can install for you. I've done many and have plenty of experience. Just keep my name handy when it comes down to it. I can even order all the parts for you and have them ready by the time your xbox ships here. PM me whenever you are interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users