• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:42 PM

It's time to start a new thread I believe.. people don't like looking through 32 pages of hard drives to try and spot their model!
(NOTE: THE OLD, LONG LIST IS AT THIS LINK)

First... a HUGE thanks for Morpheus99 for starting the original thread! beerchug.gif

Members ivc and lookformeb have both compiled some awesome drive lists - in the same week, without knowing that they were undertaking the same project! Both are awesome links - the main difference is that one can submit info directly to ivc's list, but can't view the drives missing model numbers; while lookformeb's has all the HDD's that were missing model numbers in the original thread (note: without model numbers, its impossible to tell exactly if your drive is lockable, but it gives you a slightly better idea if it's possible).

The links (in no particular order wink.gif ):
Lockability List #1 (ivc)
Lockability List #2 (lookformeb)
Lockability List #3 (MERKOSH)
Check all three links!!

Note: For any new information on hard drives, please submit to this thread as well! It will keep the tradition going, as well as help lookformeb update. If you have an extra few minutes, submit any new info to both this thread AND ivc's site!

- When you post the drive you've tested, it is imperative that you also post the model number!! These can be found on the labels of the hard drives. They really, really give people an exact idea of whether their new drive will work or not.
- The capacity, RPMs, and buffer size and software attempted are extremely helpful. Kit numbers are nearly useless for documentation just as posting without a model number is.

Useful Information: (thanks lookformeb!)
  • ConfigMagic FINAL is arguably the best way to lock your hard drive. It's simple and effective.
  • Hard drive "lockability" is technically known as "ATA Security Mode." On occasion, the hard drive manufacturer may indicate that their drive is compatible with the ATA Security Mode and it may not.
  • Just because a hard drive manufacturer says their drive is ATA Security Mode compatible, it does not mean it will work on the Xbox. It is well known that Maxtor claims that all of their hard drives are compatible, and they are not.
  • If you have a hard drive with similar specifications to one you see here, it DOES NOT mean it is the same drive or it supports (or doesn't support) the ATA Security Mode. The model number is the only sure way to know.
  • I stress once again, the only way to insure compatibility to know the model number.
  • A "debated" drive simply indicates that there are some people that could and could not lock their drive. This may have been because of an outdates version of the software they were attempting to lock with or some other unknown issue
  • The Western Digital WD800BB and WD1200JB appear to carry a bit of a risk when locking. There are many reports of lockability and unable to be locked. Perhaps there were separate batches of drives with different firmware versions on them. No one is really sure why.
  • The compiled chart without model numbers is the least reliable way to check for lockability. It is only there for documentation purposes and should be taken loosely.
Well, that just about sums it up for now. One more beerchug.gif for lookformeb and ivc!!

Edited by lookformeb, 10 June 2004 - 07:46 PM.

#2 Constantinou

Constantinou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:06 PM

Hi guys, I need some hepl here...Does anyone knows how to find a tutorial explaining how to use ConfigMagic?? And I mean a full tutorial with details...

Thanks to all in this topic...is a very usefull place to help u pick a HDD.

And something else...from all brands of HDD would u recommend SEAGATE???? I've read that they are working very quitely...

#3 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 December 2003 - 04:47 AM

Seagates are quiet... and they are a good drive.

ConfigMagic tutorial? Press the start button, everything is there before your eyes... what else do ya need? tongue.gif

Edited by lookformeb, 13 December 2003 - 04:48 AM.

#4 ivc

ivc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 December 2003 - 05:52 AM

if you like to know what drive or brand is popular, look at this page on my site. It shows top 10 drives, model serie, brand, size, and a lot more. It's dynamicaly updated whenever a new drive is submitted.

#5 Constantinou

Constantinou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:01 PM

Yes ok I press the start button, but how do I load the program? on the pc or on the xbox with a cd-rw and a dummy file? (kind of n00b...)

#6 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Constantinou @ Dec 13 2003, 09:01 AM)
Yes ok I press the start button, but how do I load the program? on the pc or on the xbox with a cd-rw and a dummy file? (kind of n00b...)

You can load the program either via media or HDD... it works either way.

[edit] I just plugged in a Seagate ST3120026A and it really is almost silent. I had to listen real hard to hear the drive actually spinning (with the Xbox case OFF). Oh, and just for the record, this 120GB 7200RPM 8mb Cache drive is lockable with ConfigMagic like the list says.[/edit]

Edited by lookformeb, 13 December 2003 - 04:19 PM.

#7 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:37 AM

Personal Experience (Locked):
Seagate ST3160023A = ConfigMagic
Seagate ST3120022A= ConfigMagic
Seagate ST3120026A = ConfigMagic
Seagate ST3200822A = ConfigMagic
Western Digital WD800BB = ConfigMagic
Western Digital WD1200BB = ConfigMagic
Western Digital WD1600JB = ConfigMagic
Western Digital WD1600BB = ConfigMagic
Western Digital WD2000BB = ConfigMagic

Gathered From Around The Forums (Locked):
Seagate ST340016A = ConfigMagic and Others
Seagate ST380021A = ConfigMagic and Others

Edited by lookformeb, 25 March 2004 - 06:28 PM.

#8 Constantinou

Constantinou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:53 PM

hey guys can anyone explain this:

People! You're not reading the big red letters which say "AFTER RUNNING MAGIC YOU MUST RUN XBVSET BEFORE REBOOTING". If Xfree doesnt start for you, SSH in and type "xbvset", this should fix your issues.

Posted by:: XanTium
December 15 03:51 CEST

THANKS

#9 pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:07 AM

thats not config magic. thats for gentoox i believe

#10 Constantinou

Constantinou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:35 PM

yes but what is used for??

and pls anyone tell me where I can find a guide explaining ConfigMagic and all the features pls..... ph34r.gif

#11 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:48 PM

Magic is a feature of Gentoox, which is a Linux distribution for Xbox.

ConfigMagic is an EEPROM tool. Its most-used feature is its ability to lock/unlock your hard drive (using EEPROM data). As lookformeb already said, just run the program like you would run any other Xbox application, and press "Start" to open its menu of features. It's painfully simple, so please do not ask for a tutorial. You'll sooner see a guide walking you through making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

#12 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:05 PM

How to make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich laugh.gif

#13 KDragon

KDragon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Anything About Technoligy
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:45 AM

ROTFL rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

#14 pookster

pookster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:30 AM

the thing is my xbox wont even start up...it shows error 5.. so how can i even run configmagic to unlock my HDD. It seems to me the xbox has to be working before you can use configmagic. Please someone tell me otherwise

#15 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:45 PM

http://www.xbox-scen.../errorcodes.php

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users