#1 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:46 AM

Am I the only one who finds that as they get older they have lost their gaming skills. Basically I brought 'return of the king'. Played it for a while and found it was quite hard, went to my cousins house (whos six) and hes beaten the game in two days!

I thought 'what the hell' and went home. I decided I would sit down and play some of my old games. I played 'buster busts loose' on the snes. And I sucked at it, I was useless. Got killed on every bit. The list of old games that I played when I was younger and managed to kick ass on goes on. Alien 3, mario , zombies ate my neighbours, mario kart etc. I never remeber being that hard.

BUT the worse is when I got beaten as Ken on street fighter by my brother as zangief!?! Anyone else find this (the losing game skills not losing to your brother as zangief)?

#2 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:54 AM

yeah I am getting worse at games the older I get biggrin.gif

but I can still play some of the older games I used to be good at, I am a far far worse gamer now than 10 years back (or so)

#3 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:51 AM

depends on the game. I kick ass more now at RPG's than I did when i was little, then again, I never really didn't kick ass at rpg's. But yah, I got worse at a game because. well, they aren't as interesting aa they used to be (they go as your imagination goes lol).

#4 mavrick2k

mavrick2k

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:09 AM

sounds like you need some rigarous game training. hehe. but did your nephew beat ti on easy or hard. or normal for that matter. i played through the game i stuggled on levels two and three but after that i kinda plowed through it. till gollum of course. did not know how to beat him for a while. simple when you look back at it. but i can not pick up my old games and tear trough like i used too. i think it is just because it has been so long. i never did beat zombies at my neighbors.

#5 scapegoat

scapegoat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:52 AM

Yeah I've noticed the same thing tongue.gif

When I was younger I used to be heaps better at games then I am now. Athough I'd say one of the reasons that I suck at games now is because I have lost interest and don't really play the games enough anymore. When I was a kid I used to play even the crappiest game hours on end just to get my money's worth tongue.gif

Edited by scapegoat, 12 December 2003 - 11:52 AM.

#6 WaRnINg|

WaRnINg|

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:56 AM

Another thing would be practice makes perfect...
We all know how that goes

#7 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 01:54 PM

We both played it on normal level. The level of 'on the wall of mimis tirith' as gandalf took me about three days alone. Glad to see im not alone.

#8 ostraninie

ostraninie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (scapegoat @ Dec 12 2003, 01:52 PM)
Yeah I've noticed the same thing tongue.gif

When I was younger I used to be heaps better at games then I am now. Athough I'd say one of the reasons that I suck at games now is because I have lost interest and don't really play the games enough anymore. When I was a kid I used to play even the crappiest game hours on end just to get my money's worth tongue.gif

I agree. The older we get, the less time we have to spend playing video games, which leads to the deterioration of our gaming skills, in some cases.

But the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King game is pretty difficult sometimes, but that might just sound like one aging gamer trying to sympathize with another aging gamer tongue.gif . Your cousin may be more familiar with those types of games and was able to pick it up fairly quickly.

I don't really know what to say, because I still regulary kick ass against my younger competitors. Maybe some skills never leave you. Or maybe I spend too much time playing video games. wink.gif

#9 jackster

jackster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 04:12 PM

I reckon it may be something to do with prices. Nowadays if a game is difficult i play another one. When I was younger I only had one game at a time so I Would spend a lot of time playing that one, as I had no other choice (apart from social activities...shudder).

#10 nuggets

nuggets

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:50 AM

Actually I think Im better of play old games, last nite I was playing super mario bros on my Nintendo and I remember having a hard time passing the levels back and the day, now I passed them without a problem.

the more you play a game the better you get at it, My .02

#11 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:55 AM

You're not as good now because you got other shit to do. Your six-year-old cousin doesn't have alot to do, besides attend school. You, however, may have a job, some school, and a girlfriend, maybe even a wife and kids (like me). I've personally found that I kinda suck at games too nowadays (when I say I suck, I mean that when I was a kid, I'd pick up a game and learn the controls, gameplay, etc in minutes. Takes me almost 15 minutes nowadays), but again, I have a wife and daugter, and I work full-time while juggling time with my recruiter as to what new hoop I have to hop through to get into the Navy at E-3.

#12 Onslaught_X

Onslaught_X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, PCs, Overclocking, and hockey ;p

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:30 PM

I dont do much, but ive noticed my Counter-Strike skills get worse the more i play blink.gif

It started when i was a hardcore CS Gamer a few years ago and my skills were incredible. After taking a break from counter-strike (about a 2 or 3 month break) i came back to it and noticed i was a lot better than before, but i started getting killed again and again. Just recently, i picked it up once again, and i really kick ass, but only time will tell when ill suck again.

Summary: The more breaks from a game i take, the better i get at it when i come back.

#13 X2Gamer

X2Gamer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:44 PM

Life changes as you grow up I guess, but I always thought those old school games on the snes or before were incredibly hard to beat because of a lack of the save function. I think games now a days are very different and more fun bcause its less or the puzles and patterns and skill and reflexes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users