1594 replies to this topic

#556 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (Angerwound @ May 12 2004, 01:39 AM)
Furthermore, there were some movies contained in the game that were instructional or needed for gameplay therefore they were not included. From now on if anyone posts a game please add a note pertaining to if the vidz are opening logos/Language vidz or if are in gameplay because some people don't like those removed....
Let's keep the list going!

I very much like this idea of giving more info about what the deleted files contain. Personally, I always keep in-game and ending movies, and I usually keep opening and attract movies if they are good. What I don't like are the endless opening logos, so I delete those.

So if we could easilly distinguish between these different types of files in the 'unneeded files' section, that would be cool.

#557 PolarBearWY

PolarBearWY

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

They should already be easily distinguishable by filename or directory location. Which game did you have in mind?

I don't think Rahz' posts the in-game movies on the website anyway.

Edited to clarify...

Logos usually have "logo" or "EA" or "MS" (etc) in the filename. If you see a Midway logo before a Midway game, like Defender, the movie is probably called "Mid" or "Midway", etc. They won't call the logo movie 3dfA2Hd6.bik so you have to guess.

BIKs are easy to identify anyway. Just download them to your PC and use the BIK viewer.

I don't know what an "attract" movie is, but they are usually called "attract.bik." I have seen "intro" and "trailer" in filenames as well.

If you take Angerwound's most recent contribution for Blood Omen 2, it should be fairly easy to decipher what about 90% of those movies are for. And of course, he said he left gameplay movies intact. I also leave movies intact that are viewed between levels, during levels, etc. ... and like I mentioned, I don't think Rahz' even puts in-game movies in the deletions archives.

Edited by PolarBearWY, 14 May 2004 - 02:05 PM.

#558 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:31 PM

"Attract" movies are movie files that are played when the game is left sitting on the menu or 'Press Start' screen, in order to 'attract' the gamer to play. They are more than often named accordingly.

Edited by Angerwound, 14 May 2004 - 03:33 PM.

#559 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:53 PM

Yes, you are right that often (but not always) the movie contents can be worked out from the filename. But I still thought it might be a nice addition to the list to either put a description next to the filename, or to make new subcategories to list the filenames in.

An example of games where it is not obvious what the listed deletions are for is Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball. And in Midtown Madness 3 the listed deletion is for the entire /Data/Shared/Wmv/ folder, which (as far as I can remember) has not only the 'logo' movies which I dislike, but also in-game movies which I personally would want to keep.

I'm not trying to insist that everyone agrees exactly what files are 'unneeded' or not, as there are different opinions on this. Instead, I'm suggesting that a bit more info is given so that people can make those decisions for themselves.

#560 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

While we're on the subject of different people having a different idea of what is 'unneeded' or not, I've been thinking about the DVD2XBOX .ACL files.

I can imagine a system where each user has a set of preferences as to which types of files he or she wants to delete. For example, a french-speaking user might want to keep just the french language files. Some people might want to keep all the videos, some people delete just some of them (e.g. logos), and others want to remove all of them.

Either DVD2XBOX itself could be extended to take account of these preferences when the user runs the .ACL file, or (perhaps more easilly) some website scripting could generate an .ACL file on-the-fly based on client settings stored in a cookie or similar. The web-based solution would probably be better because even for non-DVD2XBOX users, the website could list the deletions on the screen based on the user preferences.

If such an automated system was developed, it would become important for the database to store more metadata about the deletions. For example, at the moment the deletion listings for language files assume the user wants to delete all non-english files.

I would be happy to add this metadata to any listed games I own, if the website could add suitable columns. I may even be able to help out on the scripting.

Edited by pelago, 14 May 2004 - 04:09 PM.

#561 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

I very much like your idea. It's all up to how much time Rahszhul is willing to spend coding the site and of course all of us for gathering the info. I own each game I have posted deletions for so that would be no problem here.

#562 Copyhaunters

Copyhaunters

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:46 AM

Is there a need for a pc app that does the same as the dvd2xbox?

I was thinking to make a prog for it with multigames menu support.

Edited by Copyhaunters, 15 May 2004 - 11:47 AM.

#563 pelago

pelago

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:06 PM

You mean a PC app that can run .ACL scripts to delete/patch files? I say, go for it, why not.

#564 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:38 PM

Shrek 2

TitleID = 41560037

/Data/
intro.xmv 18.53 mb <--- Remove

/Demo/
Demo_01.xmv 36.82 mb <--- Remove
Demo_02.xmv 38.25 mb <--- Remove
Demo_03.xmv 33.91 mb <--- Remove
Shark.xmv 43.08 mb <--- Remove

Total Saved: 170.59 mb

NOTES: No In-Game Movies.

#565 Shadowland

Shadowland

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

Red Dead Revolver

/bik/

...saves over 320 mb, I'll edit my post with exact amount saved when I get home.

After removing the bik folder the startup for RDR looks glitchy, but wait a few seconds and the title screen will appear.

Edited by Shadowland, 17 May 2004 - 12:08 PM.

#566 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Don't forget everyone, when posting deletions you need to include the TitleID of the game otherwise Rahszhul can not create ACL files for them.....

#567 RPC9

RPC9

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:57 PM

Need help with Red Dead Revolver and Manhunt. Any takers? Thanks.

And yes, I have read Shadowlands post.

#568 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:26 AM

What exactly do you need help with.

#569 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:53 AM

Guilty Gear XX #Reload *JAP*
TitleID: 53410002

/
dashupdate.xbe 50.93 mb <--- Remove (Live Junk)
update.xbe 2.22 mb <--- Remove (Live Junk)

/movie/
al.xmv 2.41 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)
ex05.xmv 108.26 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)
opjp05.xmv 30.37 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)
opkr05.xmv 29.40 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)
opus05.xmv 29.20 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)
sl.xmv 4.08 mb <--- Remove (Intro Movie)

Original Game Size: 1,347.06 mb
Total Saved: 256.87 mb
Game Size After Deletions: 1090.19 mb (DVD)

Edited by Angerwound, 18 May 2004 - 05:44 AM.

#570 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:36 AM

MLB Slugfest 2003
TitleID: 4d570008

/MOVIES/
credits.wmv 36.23 mb <--- Remove (Opening/Ending Garbage)
gglogo.wmv 2.43 mb <--- Remove (Opening/Ending Garbage)
music.wmv 27.62 mb <--- Remove (Music Video)
opening.wmv 12.84 mb <--- Remove (Opening/Ending Garbage)
promo.wmv 33.03 mb <--- Remove (Game Preview)
sport.wmv 1.01 mb <--- Remove (Opening/Ending Garbage)
victory.wmv 4.52 mb <--- Remove (Opening/Ending Garbage)

Original Game Size: 761.56 mb
Total Saved: 117.68 mb
Size After Deletions: 643.88 mb (Can Be Burnt To CD)

Edited by Angerwound, 18 May 2004 - 05:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users