3 replies to this topic

#1 Sheriff

Sheriff

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 04:05 AM

Hey I am currently awaiting the parts to build my 3rd xbox and this one is going to be a linux box only.
I am wanting to make it a file server for all my mp3's and movies. which from what I understand is easy to do ( I am a huge NooB when it comes to linux)
Here is my question: Is it possible from my windows XP notebook to log into my xbox running gentox linux and control it like windows can do with remote desktop sharing? I use the shit out of desktop sharing as I have many pc's at this time storing files but I only really use my notebook. (to lazy to get of the couch)
Anyways any input into this would be great!

Thanks,

Sheriff

Edited by Sheriff, 17 December 2003 - 12:20 PM.

#2 netscan

netscan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:20 AM

Yes, you can take control of the linux desktop on your xbox by tunneling a remote X session through ssh

#3 Sheriff

Sheriff

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:24 AM

Could you explain how to do so? I know how to ssh into the xbox. I am right now but cant you actually ssh into the xbox from my windows based note book and have it show the gui? So it looks like I am on the xbox on my computer instead of the tv? I want to set up web server and ftp access on my xbox along with my movie server.

Sheriff

#4 netscan

netscan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 11:31 AM

Read the VNC tutorial on gentoox.shallax.com, should get you goin in no time

Edited by netscan, 18 December 2003 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users