Photo

2 Routers Together Causing Me Problems (long)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 burgerboy

burgerboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:30 AM

Hi all.

I have a wired router (Netgear RT314) hooked up to my cable modem. Recently, I got the DLink DI-514 so we get wireless connectivity.

I am running into problems with XLink and XBConnect. I have the ports 34518, 34519, 8602 and 6703 (all UDP) forwarded to the IP address of the PC that's running XLink and XBConnect on both the DI-514 and the RT314.

I can log into XLink and XBConnect, and both programs see my Xbox. However, in XLink, when I try to join a game by double clicking on an open game, I can see the other players in the game as well as myself (in XLink), but on my xbox, I go to search for a new game, it just says games not found or the game session is no longer available.

On XBConnect, I can set my xbox to look for an available game, and on XBConnect, click on a server to join, but it says "Connecting...." then "Trying alternate methods of connection..." then ultimately fails to join any games.

Can someone please give me some suggestions? My xbox has a Linksys WGA11B wireless gaming adapter attached to it. The DI514 wireless router's "WAN" port is hooked up to a port on my RT314.

The PC that's running XLink and XBConnect is hooked up to the RT314, not the DI514. Will this make a difference?

Also, before anyone suggests getting rid of the RT314. I cannot use the DI514 as my sole router, eliminating the RT314, since my ISP requires all new routers to be registered and this is a PITA.

I've read about xtest. Is this a prgrams we have to download? How does one use it?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by burgerboy, 18 December 2003 - 10:36 AM.

#2 taz1975uk

taz1975uk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:37 AM

Are you running a firewall?

if so which one, and have you tried taking yourself outside the firewall to test to see if that works?

#3 cybrpunk

cybrpunk

X-S Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:52 PM

I am running into problems with XLink and XBConnect. I have the ports 34518, 34519, 8602 and 6703 (all UDP) forwarded to the IP address of the PC that's running XLink and XBConnect on both the DI-514 and the RT314.

I think that this may be the source of your problems. Does your network look like this:

Internet ---> Router 1 ---> Router 2 with both PC and XBox connected

or this:

Internet ---> Router 1 with PC connected ---> Router 2 with XBox connected

The first configuration would be able to work if you setup the port forwarding correctly. Router 1 must pass packets to the public address of router 2, which would then pass those packets on to the private IP address of your PC. The second will not work because the router filters broadcast traffic, which is how the Xbox is found on the network by XLink (and other tunneling softwares).

Do you see your local XBox in either program?

#4 burgerboy

burgerboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:08 PM

I have tried putting the computer running xlink/xbconnect on the DMZ in both routers. Same problem, I can log in fine, and get to the "lobby" or "rooms" ok. I join a game, and in the programs, I'm in (I can see myself as well as the other players in the game) but on my xbox, it just keeps looking for the game, or can't find the game.

Right now, I have it connected by the 2nd description.

Internet -> wired router (PC connected to it via cat5) -> wireless router (Xbox connected wirelessly via game adapter).

The second will not work because the router filters broadcast traffic, which is how the Xbox is found on the network by XLink (and other tunneling softwares).

You lost me a bit here. What do you mean by "filters broadcast traffic"?

I will try connecting the PC to my wireless router (which has 4 ports) and see if that fixes things. Do I still need port forwarding for both routers? Also, should I be using the WAN port on the wireless router to connect it to the wired router, or should I use a normal port? The wireless router is not used as a gateway in anyway, more like a hub/switch.

Can someone shed some light on xtest?

Thanks for yoru responses.

PS. The mac address of my xbox is detected by both programs, so yes, they both see the xbox.

Edited by burgerboy, 18 December 2003 - 04:08 PM.

#5 taz1975uk

taz1975uk

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (burgerboy @ Dec 18 2003, 06:08 PM)

Can someone shed some light on xtest?

instructions on this post

http://forums.xbox-s...=46&t=100605&s=

#6 cybrpunk

cybrpunk

X-S Member

• Dev/Contributor
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:08 PM

"Broadcast traffic" is how network devices find each other on a network when there's no way to resolve a name to an IP or MAC address. This is a very common practice in many protocols used on data networks. In the absence of DNS or WINS servers to perform the functions of name to address mapping it's one of the few other ways for devices on an IP based network to find each other (I won't go into hosts and lmhosts files).

To describe it very simply -

When one network device wants to reach another on the network it sends out what's called a "Broadcast" announcing to the network that it's looking for "X". All of the devices on the local network receive this packet, but only "X" responds back and says "I'm here!". It's easy for "X" to respond because the originating address is contained within the initial broadcast. So now both network devices have each other's addresses and can start using those for direct communication.

A routers job is to filter these broadcasts and create seperate "segments" on a network. If your XBox and PC are not on the same segment, XLink will not be able to find your MAC address - period. This means you cannot have a router between your XBox and PC and have any hope of it working - ever.

If you look at any XTest you'll see a line that shows the XBox MAC address pointing to the broadcast address that looks like:

0050f2xxxxxx --> FFFFFFFFFFFF

An address populated with all 1's (in binary) is considered the broadcast address. That's why, on an IP network, you cannot use the .255 address of the network for one of your network devices (in subnetted networks this may vary).

I hope this clears up a few things for you - and possibly others out there as well.

Edited by cybrpunk, 19 December 2003 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users