#1 kgibbons

kgibbons

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:50 PM

Hello all,

For some very very strange reason, some of my NES roms simply will NOT transfer to my Xbox via FTP. I'm running EvoX FTP server on my Xbox, and usually have no problem transferring any files from my main PC (using flashfxp) to the xbox.

I have the full NES 8820 romset, and I'm looking to transfer the whole lot over. I would say about 60% of the roms do transfer over just fine, but then the other 40% are showing a red arrow in the transfer pane of FlashFXP, and do NOT transfer over.

I thought this might have been a "read only" problem since I did have these roms on CD. So I made sure the attributes of the roms were set properly -- but still same problem.

I also then tried the transfer in reverse -- I setup an FTP server on my PC, and used the FTP client software on my Xbox to login to my PC to initiate the transfer. Pretty much the same deal... some transfer over, some don't.

The only thing I can possibly think of is this might be a file naming issue. Some of these roms have really long filenames, and use alot of bracketed characters -- here's an example: 10-Yard Fight (J) [p1][o3].zip

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?

Edited by kgibbons, 19 December 2003 - 02:51 PM.

#2 gfk

gfk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:everything computer related
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2003 - 02:54 PM

yeah i get this sometimes
its mostly because it has a long filename
try shortening them

#3 kgibbons

kgibbons

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (gfk @ Dec 19 2003, 04:54 PM)
yeah i get this sometimes
its mostly because it has a long filename
try shortening them

Only problem with renaming the roms is that I literally have sooooo many roms, that it's just about impossible. I have the full NES 8820 set -- which is all the known NES roms in existance.

Even using a mass file re-namer program, I'm not sure how I would accomplish this. The program would have to be capable of removing XXX number of characters from filenames.

Anyone have any further info on this situation? Such as, how many characters are acceptable for the Xbox file system and/or EvoX ftp server?

#4 ReKlaTs

ReKlaTs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 04:23 PM

Long filenames is a pain in the ass and I haven't seen a decent program to handle this yet. Some people have attempted to write programs to rename files but they always garble them up so badly you can't tell what they are any longer. Mostly with real long names like MP3 files and such.
Roms are bad as well especially version numbers, languages and so on. It's a pain in the butt. Try a couple of mass renaming apps and see if they work for you. If not, write a new one for all of us ! smile.gif
For MP3's there are a bunch of apps out there to help manage the file names based on ID3 tags and such so it's not as big a deal as the ROMS..

#5 kgibbons

kgibbons

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (ReKlaTs @ Dec 19 2003, 06:23 PM)
Long filenames is a pain in the ass and I haven't seen a decent program to handle this yet. Some people have attempted to write programs to rename files but they always garble them up so badly you can't tell what they are any longer. Mostly with real long names like MP3 files and such.
Roms are bad as well especially version numbers, languages and so on. It's a pain in the butt. Try a couple of mass renaming apps and see if they work for you. If not, write a new one for all of us ! smile.gif
For MP3's there are a bunch of apps out there to help manage the file names based on ID3 tags and such so it's not as big a deal as the ROMS..

Thanks for the response ReKlaTs,

I've used a LOT of file re-namers in the past, but probably one of the best and fastest I've ever used is 1-4a Renamer -- found at http://www.1-4a.com/rename/ Not to mention it's freeware as well smile.gif

If I actually knew the allowable filename length for Xbox files, I might be able to have it mass rename the files appropriately. But without knowing the actual allowable length of filenames, I would be taking a stab in the dark.

Any info on this?

#6 mcdonaldpd

mcdonaldpd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:49 PM

I think it is a 42 character limit. There are some symbols that XBOX doesn't like, but it has been forever since I have dealt with the subject.

#7 kgibbons

kgibbons

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:01 PM

Just a little update.... I tried using "baRenameX" on my roms, and initially I thought it did work. It seemed to find a whole bunch of illegal rom names, and renamed them appropriately for Xbox.

However, when trying to transfer the roms again I got all the way up to the letter L in my rom list, and it starts doing the same thing when attempting to transfer.

It seems like as soon as FlashFXP senses that it can't upload one file, the rest of the files in the queue don't transfer either. Soooooo frustrating grr.gif

I'm seriously at a loss now... baRenameX did its work in renaming, but I'm still having the same problem. Any possible suggestions before I punt the xbox across the room?

#8 XBoxgeek

XBoxgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:23 PM

Use Prexboxcopytool it will shorten the file name to 42 & remove any invalid characters.You can get it from this site.

Xboxgeek

#9 gfk

gfk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:everything computer related
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:51 PM

maybe you should try a different ftp cilent
i have just remembered that i have this problem with flashfxp when transfering gba roms
now i use cute ftp and dont have much problem with it for transfering files over

or you could try doin transfering the roms one by one

gfk

#10 XBoxgeek

XBoxgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:01 AM

I use FlashFXP without any problems. I also have full sets of nearly everything, all named to the tosec naming standards. I then use Prexboxcopytool to strip out and truncate filenames to FatX standards. Never had a problem.

You could try another FTP client, but I don't think that's it.

Xboxgeek

#11 gonkle

gonkle

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:50 AM

the problem that comes up with shortening the filenames is that than some screenshots donīt work for me, i made a CD with screenshots for nearly every Emu.

#12 Ceazer

Ceazer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 December 2003 - 12:49 PM

heheh long file ext can cause it , also there seems to be a limit of how much info you can put into a folder on the xbox hard disk.

there are 2 renameing programs here (or at least there use to be..)1. prexboxcopytool and 2.xboxify
found here: http://www.xbox-scen...p?page=managers

also try and make say 3 or 4 rom folders , and split up the roms in them..
say a - f in folder one and so on or just say like 4.2g of data in this folder and then start on the next folder etc.. and so on..

this should work to get those roms on the hard disk smile.gif

#13 kgibbons

kgibbons

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (XBoxgeek @ Dec 20 2003, 11:01 AM)
I use FlashFXP without any problems. I also have full sets of nearly everything, all named to the tosec naming standards. I then use Prexboxcopytool to strip out and truncate filenames to FatX standards. Never had a problem.

You could try another FTP client, but I don't think that's it.

Xboxgeek

Wow... amazing. I re-copied my roms from my archive DVD, then used Prexboxcopytool to name them according to Xbox standards. As I had mentioned above, my roms from letters A thru K transferred with no errors. So I decided to start at letter L again to see what would happen now.... and wouldn't you know it, SAME thing!

So I'm guessing that both Prexboxcopytool & baRenameX probably do the same job of renaming the roms. But for some strange reason, these roms still won't transfer.

As suggested.. I tried multiple FTP clients from FlashFXP to CuteFTP to CuteFTP Pro & even WS-FTP as well. All encounter the same problem.

So as Ceazer had mentioned, I think this very well might be an issue with too many files in one directory. Question however... if I do split my roms up into 2 or 3 separate directories, what kind of changes do I have to make in my fceu.ini file to make the program see all the roms?

As of right now I have all my roms in a subdirectory called /nesroms inside the fceultra_v14 main program directory. And I didn't make any changes to the fceu.ini file previously -- because it's able to see the roms in the /nesroms directory.

Again, any help on this matter is greatly appreciated smile.gif

#14 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:12 PM

4096 files in one directory is the limit.

Prexboxcopytool should do the trick. If you have problems beyond that....how about abit more info? Which file does it stop on? Exactly how much free space do you have at that point?

#15 Chaz Ashley

Chaz Ashley

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

I also used Prexboxcopytool to rename my NES-roms (like I do for anything else), did some additional "cleaning up" with Total Commander and had no problems whatsoever. My advice for you is to put the roms through GoodNES, use the Prexboxcopytool and try again, if it still doesn't work then maybe use another FTP-program and / or check the network-cable.

Chaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users