#1 (>Stormy<)

(>Stormy<)

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 06:31 AM

Hi all.
I'm sure some people are aware of just how easy backing up your DVD movie collection can be with an Xbox. For those who don't, read on.

Programs needed:
1. DVD2XBOX - Latest version (consent boards for preferred/stable version)
2. AutoGordianKnot - Latest version (0.5 is latest non-beta/ Xvid only) Get Here. Direct links, here, and here, and here.
3. Recommended - Get latest audio/visual codecs

Okay got those? Ready? Good.

Steps:
1. Feed DVD to Xbox.
2. Use DVD2XBOX to extract/decrypt contents to the harddrive.
3. Transfer folder DVD2XBOX creates to your PC.
4. Use AutoGordianKnot on the folder and select desired size of outputted file. I personally choose around 865 for my files so that I can fit five onto a single DVD+R.
4.5 - Here is a tutorial about how to use AGK. Just consider step one in this tutorial as our steps 1-3.
5. Wait 5-20 hours depending on the speed of your computer to finish the encoding.
6. Enjoy your new Xvid backup!

This process is super duper idiot proof easy. My computer has about 2.4 ghz / .5 gig of ram and it finished an encoding in about 6 hours. And GK does do a few passes on the encoding so the quality is great.

Hope this helps and hasn't been common knowledge for too long biggrin.gif

Edited by (>Stormy<), 20 December 2003 - 06:43 AM.

#2 StevenC

StevenC

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:56 AM

where can i uppdate my codecs?

#3 cheatman

cheatman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:59 AM

I'm sure some people are aware of just how easy backing up your DVD movie collection can be with an Xbox. For those who don't, read on

lurk.gif

How is it easy? As you are transferring the ripped DVD to the PC to do all the encoding why not just use DVD Decryptor to read the DVD in on the PC in the first place....a LOT easier. Now if there was software on the xbox to convert it to xvid I could see the point in it as it stands it's just a lot more hassle unless you have NO dvd drive in your computer...which you obviously have because you want to fit five encodes on a DVD+R.

#4 (>Stormy<)

(>Stormy<)

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 07:17 PM

How is it easy? As you are transferring the ripped DVD to the PC to do all the encoding why not just use DVD Decryptor to read the DVD in on the PC in the first place....a LOT easier. Now if there was software on the xbox to convert it to xvid I could see the point in it as it stands it's just a lot more hassle unless you have NO dvd drive in your computer...which you obviously have because you want to fit five encodes on a DVD+R.

I dunno... I guess I just thought this was easier. Putting a DVD into the Xbox, pressing a button, FTP'ing the resulting folder and hitting another button in an automated program. As opposed to using a dvd decrypter on the computer. If you don't think it's easier you don't have to use it, but some people might not know they have the option, a very easy option, to do this. I began by admitting that many many people will know of easy ways to backup their DVD collections, so congrats to you for being oh so smart. Also your point on the DVD drive is valid. Maybe some people don't have a DVD drive and this would enable them to back up their DVD's and store them on the computer/xbox harddrive without the need for one on their computer.

where can i uppdate my codecs?

www.doom9.org will have all the information you need, I'm not going to get into the business of telling anyone what codecs to use/what version because there are too many. For this process just make sure you have the latest Xvid codec.

#5 rob1309

rob1309

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 December 2003 - 10:20 PM

yep pc dvd ripping is way faster plus no ftping of files over which saves even more time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users