I'm sure some people are aware of just how easy backing up your DVD movie collection can be with an Xbox. For those who don't, read on.
1. DVD2XBOX - Latest version (consent boards for preferred/stable version)
2. AutoGordianKnot - Latest version (0.5 is latest non-beta/ Xvid only) Get Here. Direct links, here, and here, and here.
3. Recommended - Get latest audio/visual codecs
Okay got those? Ready? Good.
1. Feed DVD to Xbox.
2. Use DVD2XBOX to extract/decrypt contents to the harddrive.
3. Transfer folder DVD2XBOX creates to your PC.
4. Use AutoGordianKnot on the folder and select desired size of outputted file. I personally choose around 865 for my files so that I can fit five onto a single DVD+R.
4.5 - Here is a tutorial about how to use AGK. Just consider step one in this tutorial as our steps 1-3.
5. Wait 5-20 hours depending on the speed of your computer to finish the encoding.
6. Enjoy your new Xvid backup!
This process is super duper idiot proof easy. My computer has about 2.4 ghz / .5 gig of ram and it finished an encoding in about 6 hours. And GK does do a few passes on the encoding so the quality is great.
Hope this helps and hasn't been common knowledge for too long
Edited by (>Stormy<), 20 December 2003 - 06:43 AM.