#1 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 December 2003 - 05:34 AM

i put a file called strictly aaaa.aaa (originally a zipped folder of mp3's) and linuxbio.bin (originally called "xecuter2_4973_xbox1.1_256k") and put them both on a sony cd-rw and turned my box on, waited 2 mins, inserted the disc...

my drive can read the cd... the title of the cd was defaulted by Nero to "My_Disc" and the chameleon displayed exactly that... ("Cdrom: - MY_DISC")... directly under that it says "Looking for Linuxboot.cfg..." for about 4 or 5 seconds... then it ends up sayin
""Looking for Linuxboot.cfg... Unable to find it, halting"

ive tried the disc (and another with my dummy alternately called "0dummy.zip" and i get same exact result) about 20 times now...

do i need to put a file called linuxboot.cfg on my cd-rw??
or is my drive just still being a retard?

#2 tiger

tiger

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 01:15 PM

Does the Chameleon LED flash?
More details of the Xbox Version and Chameleon Version?

#3 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Music Production<br />XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 December 2003 - 02:38 PM

First of all, you do NOT want X2 4973 for XBox 1.1. You want a multi bios. Goto #xbins on Efnet and follow the directions. Get Evox M7 (eject fix) or X2 4979.

It sounds like your disc IS readable. And your dummy file is correctly named. Double check the name of LINUXBIO.BIN. You can insert the CDRW into your PC drive and read it. When you pull up the folder you should see:

AAAA.AAA
LINUXBIO.BIN

Make sure you recorded this DISC AT ONCE, CLOSE SESSION, and JOLIET OFF (which I am pretty sure you did JOLIET OFF) and recorded at the SLOWEST speed possible.

At least your getting closer.

JD

#4 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:21 PM

yes, LED flashes blue like it should
xbox version is 1.0, chameleon is 1.8... (boot screen says "Xbox Linux Clean BIOS 1.8")

disc is confirmed recorded at once, joliet definitely off, no multisession and at 4x... im assuming if it reads the disc after being burned at 4x, it should be fine. but ill try 2x or even 1x but id rather not be waitin around for a while to find out nero decides to crash (hapnd 4 times)...

when i load the cd on my computer this is what happens...
windows xp asks what i want to do with it of course and i open folder to view files blah blah blah and it shows these 2 files:
AAAA.AAA then under details it says "AAA file" which is good...
LINUXBIO then under details it says "BIN file" which i think is good... its just not displaying the extension in the icon

one other thing... im having trouble erasing the discs... every attempt ive made has been on a new disc, but i'd still like to empty the failure discs and nero just wont do it... in the quick erase it's supposed to take 2 mins and it ejects at around 1:30... in the full erase it's supposed to take around 25 minutes and after about 15 mins it jumps the count and spits the disc out... then it claims it is empty, but i go to burn on it, and it starts bitching about how "the disc in the drive is not empty, u want nero to erase it?" and i say sure why not but it does the quick erase which doesnt accomplish anything...

any input at all is appreciated, thanks guys

#5 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:29 PM

Man I am sorry you are having so many problems. 25 minutes to wipe a disc??? That is just plain weird. Mine takes MAYBE 10 minutes if the whole thing is written. I the quick-erase is fine. I have done that so many times...it merely overwrites the "boot" sector.

BTW, are the extensions shown in Nero?

JD

#6 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:35 PM

yea, nero tags on all extensions...
version of nero is 6.0.0.28... it installed the 'startsmart' shortcut to my desktop but i found the exe for nero burning rom and im using that and it matches your guide/tutorial perfectly, cept mine looks a little updated... but just visual stuff, same exact layout otherwise.

#7 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

couple things quickly... do i need to make an iso out of the folder that holds my two files linuxbio and aaaa.aaa ???

the guy who got me into this whole modding dealie never modded his own box (someone did his for him and he just got good at hackin halo) so he was tryina figure it out and he burned an iso to an imation disc and it worked in his 1.0 box, thomson drive, same as mine (though i know all drives are different... )

i mean ive been told to make an iso, and ive been told to just throw the files directly to the disc... will one or the other or both work?

#8 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:49 PM

another sidenote... i wish my brain would think of these things all at once, and i know i could just edit my post but... that would be too logical

i google searched on "linuxboot.cfg halting" and found a forum where some guy was having the same exact troubles as me and some people told him to name the file "linuxbios.bin"... yes with the 's' after the 'o'... another person said do it in lower-case, and the usual stuff like increase dummy size, try different media... then someone says to use ISOMaker or Craxtion to make the ISO... well i looked for both and couldnt get a valid copy of either one... by the way, xbins is being difficult and wont log me on... ive had zero difficulties since i got it (TIRC, that is) a week ago, and now i cant get on, couldnt get on all day...
uhhm.... cant think of anything else currently... =)
link to that forum = http://forums.afterd..._view.cfm/51257

Edited by Fastarr, 21 December 2003 - 08:54 PM.

#9 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 09:16 PM

The cromwell in the Chameleons are different, and are designed to look for specific files. Some chips look for BIOS.BIN. So keep everything you have done the same.

You do not want to make an image of the folder...it looks for the file in the root directory.

JD

#10 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 09:24 PM

alright... im trying this again... i also have a file called "EvoX V3.6 - V1.1" that i named linuxbio.bin...... its 256k so its the bios obviously, not the dash.

i im experimenting with the smallest dummy file size to speed up my burning process... currently trying 106 MBs...

anyways, what should i do if i still get the same old stupid "Loading linuxboot.cfg from CD-ROM... Unable to find it, halting" error???

where IS linuxboot.cfg?? is it imbedded in the bios bin file? if so its not in any possible way extractable i'd imagine... how the crap is this just magically gonna work... i think im sh!t outta luck

#11 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 09:58 PM

You are where hundreds of us (YES myself included) have been before. That is why I "invented" the two minute rule. I didn't invent it, but it works.

The cfg is embedded, and there is nothing you can do.

Trust me. It will work. I do not know why you are using an old non-multi bios. PM me if you need something newer.

JD

#12 Fastarr

Fastarr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 02:18 AM

thanks for the support and the offer... i found "EvoxM7.bin" as well as "EvoxM7_ef.bin" in what i think is the latest build... (EvolutionX Build 3935)

my expertise tells me "ef" stands for eject fix, so i used that one.
by the way, nero decided to cooperate and both the quick-erase and full-erase seem to be functioning well...
but poop on a stick, i put a dummy file over 500 MBs called aaaa.aaa and linuxbio.bin and... =( still got that godstinkindamn "unable to find it, halting" message referring to linuxboot.cfg...

no need to tell me what to do anymore... ill try different media, different dummies, and ill probly give that non-ef a go...

its been a blast posting all my issues here, thanks to everyone for the help, jon thanks for gettin me this close...
laters

#13 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:03 PM

There is most definately something wrong with the way it is being burned or SOMETHING. Hope everything works out ok. Let us know.

JD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users