#1 da_frog

da_frog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Chilling

Posted 21 December 2003 - 05:39 AM

ok im starting my own business and now i would like to start selling shit online the only thing i have to sacrifice into a server is my xbox. i beefed up the fan speed so it can stay on longer and will be putting a 120gb western digital into it soon is there a way i can host my server on my xbox say through linux somehow keep in mind im not some kind of linux expert the most i have ever used linux for is surfing the net and sometimes il host half-life games on it but thats about it so my

question is: how would i go of hosting a website through my xbox/linux

#2 shortstuff22090

shortstuff22090

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 December 2003 - 03:04 PM

first off, download gentoox pro v1.1

use the stardust cd to flash ur modchip with the gentoox version of cromwell. then just use the cd to do a native gentoox install. then once its done just use emerge to install all ur apps. (e.g. emerge apache)

if ya need any help drop by #GentooX on irc.freenode.net and we will help ya.

(my name in that channel is MaDsKiLLz)

#3 da_frog

da_frog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Chilling

Posted 22 December 2003 - 01:36 AM

thanks looks easy to me im not a n00b to the xbox scene or servers i have worked with them before so i know all about servers i just was asking if it was possible thanks.

#4 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:40 AM

it's possible because the xbox, when running linux, is a full working computer. but keep in mind that it only has 64 mb ram so don't install any desktop manager. stay command line and if your site gets many hits it might run a bit slow.

#5 xstaci

xstaci

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:30 PM

if your website/server is going to be hit a lot. then 64mb of ram isnt going to be able to handle too many people. including if you plan on using ANY sort of database.

you mention that the most you've really done in linux is surf the web and play games. now your going to have to get into editing config files and learning the directives of apache. unless you set it up very default like. but that can lead to insecurity.(makes me wonder how many compromised xbox's there could be out there.

gentoox is a VERY VERY GOOD distro. and if you have an extra PC i suggest installing the original GENTOO for PC onto that to get more acquainted with the way its package system works, and how linux works in general.

even then if you require any tutorials or guides, the guides on gentoo.org should apply to your xbox as well.(except in-depth hardware stuff)

#6 shortstuff22090

shortstuff22090

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:35 PM

actually that isnt completely accurate. shallax had his server running gentoox on an xbox and it worked fine. and he gets plenty of hits. although his is now upgraded to 128meg it will work fine with 64.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users