82 replies to this topic

#1 ftothe3

ftothe3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:33 PM

Into: I used hotswapping and the audio exploit to recently mod my v1.5 xbox. The problem I ran into was the hotswapping proccess itself. All the tutorials didn't really describe it well. Anyway, here are some tips that helped me with the hotswap:

Basic Hotswap method:
Plug in your power cord and video cord to the back of your xbox with no game in the DVD drive. Then, wait 5minutes for the xbox to load to the dashboard and then pull out the xbox IDE cable and plug in your PC IDE cable.

Tips:
1. Try not to shake the drive too much while hotswapping.
2. Try to do the hotswap quickly. (Have the PC's IDE cable in your hand while pulling out the xbox's IDE cable).
3. Just because the computer detects the drive (in bios or device manager) doesn't mean you did the hotswap right!!

Windows HDD Driver tips:

1. Hotswap while windows is loaded. This is by far the EASIEST method to get your drive recognized. To do this load windows (xp or 2k) and do the hotswap. Then after the hotswap, right click my computer, goto properties, hardware tab, and load up the device manager. Expand the "Disk Drives" icon. Finally click the "scan for hardware changes" button (looks like a computer with magnifying glass). If you did the hotswap correctly, it will only take a minute for your drive to show up in the device manager. If it takes a long time to detect, then you probably did the hotswap too slowly.
2. ONLY left click when necessary in the HDD driver program because it is very buggy and will crash if you left click too much. Use right clicks almost exlusively.
3. Do right click "insert file" to put files on the xbox harddrive.
4. FOR THE AUDIO HACK: Hdd driver will crash if nothing is in your "music" folder. Therefore, you will never be able to use the HDD driver to do the audio exploit if you dont insert an audio cd in your xbox and click copy track to harddrive within the MS dashboard. (This will create stuff in the music folder so HDD driver wont crash.)

Xlinux Tips:
1. Put the xlinux cd in your cd drive, turn the computer on, and be ready to hotswap the xbox harddrive.
2. When the ascii picture of that guy loads up do the swap.
3. Then press enter to boot. If lots of errors pop up, the HD Is locked, try to swap again from step1.
4. All the tutorials i read assume you have a fat harddrive on your PC. i didnt so i had to figure out these commands for myself:

Basic Linux commands to get XLINUX working:

linux command_____________dos equiv___________function
ls_________________________ dir ___________ tells you whats in a directory
cd_________________________ cd ___________ lets you go into another directory
cp________________________ copy ___________ copies a file from one directory to another
mv________________________ move _________ moves a file from one directory to another
(note mv is used to rename files in linux, ex. mv xboxdash.xbe linux.xbe renames xboxdash.xbe to linux.xbe)

/dev/hda /dev/hdb /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
are the drives in linux. the A in hda means primary master drive. B is primary slave. C is secondary master and D is secondary slave.
So, if your xbox is on primary master use hda in your mount command, etc.

if you dont have a fat harddrive for your exploit files, burn a cd with the exploit files, then mount the cd:
mount -t auto /dev/hd* /cdrom
(note, make the * A B C or D depending on where your CD drive is plugged in)

To mount the xbox drive:
mkdir /xbox
mount -t fatx /dev/hd*% /xbox
(note, * is A B C or D depending on where the xbox HD is hotswapped to % depends on which hack you are doing. For the audio hack you need to access the E: drive so, you need to make % = 50 for the font expoit you need to access the C drive so % = 51.
ex. for using the audio exploit with the xbox hardrive on primary master:
mount -t fatx /dev/hda50 /xbox

if anyone wants to add to this to make it some sort of tutorial, just reply to this thread. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

Edited by ftothe3, 22 December 2003 - 04:43 PM.

#2 n3o

n3o

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:44 PM

thanks for the advice. for some reason I still can't get the hotswap working though, despite trying all that tons of times. hdd-driver just won't read the disk

#3 denky

denky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 22 December 2003 - 11:56 PM

ftothe3, excellent post. You have compiled info spread out elsewhere and added more.

For the fat harddrive part, does fat=fat32 too?

And everyone don't forget to do a image backup of your xbox hdd once it is recognized in Windows/Xlinux. For Windows, there were reports of HDD Driver backup reliability. So I suggest WinHex, Ghost, Driveimage or other tools that supports imaging.

#4 ftothe3

ftothe3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:40 AM

yes fat=fat32. if you look at the other xlinux tutorial, it tells you to mount your hard drive using the command:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda this only works if you have a harddrive that has a fat (or fat32) partition. if its ntfs (like most xp and 2k installs) then this mount command wont work. the work-around i suggested was putting the files on cd and mounting that.

@n30: if hdd driver doesnt recognize the drive that means you're not doing the hotswap correctly. try using my tips. hdd driver is buggy, but it def. does tell you if you do the swap correctly (it'll say "found xbox drive")

#5 n3o

n3o

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:18 AM

am up to 30 attempts or so now...seems I can't pull it off for some reason...been really careful not to stir the box, to do it fast..but still...am I the only one that can't get the hotswap working?

is the xbox supposed to react in some way when the xbox ide is removed? the dashboard kinda freezes..then starts blinking again...the dvd player tries to detect a disc

#6 denky

denky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:22 AM

Have you tried some of these tips others have posted?

1. Wait 10 mins at the dashboard for xbox hdd to spindown to standby mode then swap.
2. Remove IDE cable from DVD drive, wait for error message then swap.
3. Select Memory on dashboard, select Xbox Hard Disk, then swap.

Actually I personally don't see why these tips matter because accord to xbox-linux docs, the hdd is unlocked after the startup animation and logo.

Also test your PC's IDE cable use for the swap on another hdd to ensure it is not a bad cable.

Edited by denky, 23 December 2003 - 09:25 AM.

#7 DanShapotsky

DanShapotsky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:16 AM

I have done this on a 1.3 box and was also having problems with hdd driver and hotswapping... I used the xlinux disk and followed the instructions in this thread

http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=45&t=74925

up to and including the mounting of the drives in xlinux.... things I did differently

..I loaded a game, went to game options, turned sound off in everything (game was midtown madness.. the first that came to hand), then I left the box about 10 mins - if you pay close attention you will hear the drive close down and all that will be left is the noise of it spinning, but no write activity...

..then I loaded the phoenix bios as per my post at the end of the thread above... worked first time... and I have used the xlinux mount/unmount method 5 times with complete success .... after being up to around the 30 hotswap fails mark myself I can recommend this method.. it definitely unlocks the drive... what you copy on from that point is up to you - make sure you follow the instructiions in the above thread to unmount the drives when you are fininshed... and the mounting and unmounting instructions for the pc drive you are copying from are for a fat32 drive only.. ntfs will not mount... any questions.. lemme know

Dan

#8 iLLNESS

iLLNESS

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, my gf, movies, drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:56 AM

most people think theyrwe xbox hdd isnt unlocked

but it unlocks soon as the dash is loaded

and is fine for a hotswap then

its all about your pc

some pcs bios's are very picky about when u plug it in
some dont care

if u get that ide detection screen pause it right before it detects anything

if it detects the xbox hdd and restarts u gotta hotswap again.. and pase the pc again

if it doesnt detect it it isnt locked

i dono
but i know its locked soon as dash loads

#9 thadude

thadude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:04 AM

when i swap, my bios detects the drive and asks me for the hard drive password....i wait until the dash loads but for some reason either my drive doesnt unlock or relocks its self or something....any ideas?

#10 ftothe3

ftothe3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:23 AM

try another computer or if you're using hddriver, load up windows first before swapping. if using xlinux, swap when the picture of the guy loads up.

#11 thadude

thadude

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (ftothe3 @ Jan 3 2004, 03:23 AM)
try another computer or if you're using hddriver, load up windows first before swapping. if using xlinux, swap when the picture of the guy loads up.

thanks...I have tried everything except xlinux because i am limited in what i can do because I have raid on my machine...

I can access the drive in liveinfo...I got the password....but it doesnt work for unlocking the drive, and the drive still isnt found by hdd driver....

#12 SpecialAgent420

SpecialAgent420

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:28 PM

I'm also stuck with hdd_driver...
my bios detects the xbox drive no problem, windows detects the drive no problem.... hdd_driver dosn't, any ideas?

#13 ftothe3

ftothe3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (SpecialAgent420 @ Jan 8 2004, 08:28 PM)
I'm also stuck with hdd_driver...
my bios detects the xbox drive no problem, windows detects the drive no problem.... hdd_driver dosn't, any ideas?

look at tip #3.

#14 megaflux

megaflux

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:28 AM

isnt there a "package" of all the missing .dll's for hdd driver? i had it working once b4 but now i switched my os to xp pro instead of just xp (i also have debian linux on there...and win me..but anyways) and i cant get hdd driver to work for crap. ive tried like i dunno about 50 msvcrtd.dll's and none have worked, can anyone link or compile for me? i ALWAYS just unplugged the dvd drives yello wires and got the error message and hot swapped from that screen, while pc was paused b4 detecting drives and i never had a problem (well other that the fact that the drives image was 9 gigs and really hard to hexedit). thanks in advance

#15 spaar

spaar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:20 AM

I'm looking for a detailed step by step instructions on doing the audio expliot using windows xp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users