Photo

Why Do Retail Mod Chips Work On 1.3-1.5?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Puunda

Puunda

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:01 PM

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've been trying to mod a 1.3 and 1.4 xbox, and having no luck. I've done many before using the Cheapmod, and they've all worked fine. I believe it's becasue of the 'LFRAME' not connected to the MCP chip. I also believe that retail chips you can buy, such as the Akira, Alladin + etc works. I've cheked the Alladin, and I from the picture, that appears to be using the SST29LF020 chip, which is the same as the ones I use for the Cheapmod.

My question is, why does these retail chips work on the newer xboxes, without a need for connecting to the LFRAME pin? I see there are other chips on there, and was wondering what they actually do. Does it generate it's own LFRAME? Or does it not use the LPC in like the Cheapmod does.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

#2 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

Not at all a stupid question; in fact you've already answered it yourself. The newer chips generate their own LFRAME.

You can grab LFRAME from the nVidia MCPX chip and still use cheapmods on 1.3 and higher, but it's a VERY small point.

#3 Puunda

Puunda

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've read that thread and have been able to successfully mod a 1.3 and a 1.4 machine. It wasn't actually as hard as I thought it was to solder to that micro via on the MCP chip. But my question now is, HOW do those chips generate their own LFRAME? It can't be on the SST chip, beucase that is the same as those in the cheap mod. So I'm assuming it's some external component. Is it easily done is my question.

Thanks.

#4 Ghostyposty

Ghostyposty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 12:10 PM

Theres a pld on the board as well as the lpc flash. Usually a cheapo
xilink fpga part. Check the SST49LF020A specs (the 29 series you mention is parallel btw...)
and you can see its pretty easy to regenerate the lframe by checking whats on the data bus and then counting clocks. If you can figure out how to do this with a 508 pic let us know wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users