aceboomer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 July 2002 - 03:19 PM

how about a tool to defrag the xbox HD, especially for pwople that install a bigger one, with all this moving data around, even games using it as a buffer, it would be nice to have some kind of tool to keep it reading smoothly, just a thought
biggrin.gif

#2 Nigma

Nigma

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 03:52 PM

I concur... but I think it would involve a bit of work because of the FATX format of the drive.

Perhaps someone could start with an Open Source defragger and port it for XBox use with FatX support?

#3 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2002 - 08:04 PM

yes , this will be a much needed tool !
-- After installing Halo [ 3.47GB ] to the Hard Drive it started making noise that it had not made previously with other smaller games installed .
-- I don't think you should be able to hear your hard drive seeking ....
-- DGP --

#4 Nigma

Nigma

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 08:06 PM

BTW, with Halo there is a ~1 gig XDemos directory that you can delete and save yourself some space. It's just demo movies for other games.

A few other launch games have similar directories that you can blow away to save space on your HDD.

#5 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 11:20 AM

Yes Please laugh.gif

We need a defrag util for the xbox ASAP ohmy.gif

#6 ray-ray

ray-ray

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 03:18 PM

is it possible to defrag the xbox hard disk?

#7 KJL89

KJL89

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 05:15 PM

Yes Right Now It Is Impossible. But I Think That Latter On, Someone Will Code A Tool That Can Defragment Your Xbox's Harddrive. But Right Now We Will Just Have To Deal With It.

#8 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 11:40 PM

Exactly like the subject says, is there going to be a scandisk and defrag for the xbox and how soon can we expect to see them?

#9 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 11:54 AM

I hope that there is a defrag util soon as i know that mine needs a defrag soon as i can hear the hard drive hunting for files like on a pc and even if there is no defrag util on the xbox i wish there was a driver for the xbox file system on the pc so i could connect my xbox hard drive to my pc and defrag it and replace it back into the xbox

#10 alanbenjo

alanbenjo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 04:59 PM

is it possible defrag,scandisk,or format the original xbox hd?what software can i use?please help me i m a newbye....step by step would be appreciated...very thanks.i think there is a damaged cluster in my original xboxhd......it says me that the space total of e: is 4,7 giga,but free 0nly 2,5giga.i have nothing in e:except the tdata and udata....help sad.gif

#11 kanchke

kanchke

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 07:00 PM

I was wondering myself the same thing ... I've been fooling alot with my 120Gig HDD, doesn't the xbox's HDD needs defrag or something ?

#12 82ross

82ross

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 September 2002 - 07:11 PM

I dont think so.

#13 akarnid

akarnid

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 07:25 PM

I don't think so either. You can't really compare the wear and tear of the Xbox HD to a HD in a wintel box. Windows is always writing and deleting something on the HD(virtual RAM, Temp Internet Files) while the Xbox just reads alot. you would have to be deleting and copying something alot for the HD to suffer crashes and bad sectors. Do not think tha M$ didn't think that one out before allowing people to rip their own soundtracks to the hard drive.....

#14 kanchke

kanchke

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 06:05 PM

you would have to be deleting and copying something alot for the HD to suffer crashes and bad sectors

That's what I was fearing ... I copied/deleted a lot of divx movies (big files)

Guess I'd be better off modifying the xbmpconfig and burning my movies on CD-RW, or use the .NET framework from M$ (is this stable for XP ?) and stream them

#15 psybintea

psybintea

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 04:01 AM

Why hasn't anyone figured out how to do this yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users