10 replies to this topic

#1 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:07 PM

I just have a few questions, and I can't seem to find the answers via searching...

First off, I sort of understand how to use XBtool, and I've used it to create custom bioses for my X2.2Pro.

I've softmodded a v1.0 xbox (audio exploit) and what I'd like to do is create a custom bios for PBL (since all the ones I have load 'default.xbe' from some strange directory. But, (and I'm sure you've heard this before...) whenever I use a different bios in PBL, it freezes. And, I can't open the bios that came with it in Xbtool (because the kernel extraction failed...you already know that though)

I tried adding the RC4 key from boot.cfg to debug.ini and moving debug.ini to the config folder for Xbtool. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Can someone give me some specifics as to how to create a new bios for PBL? (or how to edit one that is included?)

Also, what does the BFM flag do exactly? I know it's 'Boot from Media', but does that mean when this bios is loaded it will (and this seems too obvious) automatically boot whatever is in the DVD Drive, and if that flag is not checked then it WON'T automatically boot whatever is in the DVD drive?

And finally, from what I've read, v1.0 xboxs use a 1mb bios and v1.3+ use a 256k bios. So, am I correct in assuming that if I soft mod a v1.5 and use PBL I need to use a 256k bios?
Thanks

#2 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:18 PM

Oh come on....Anyone... I stayed up all night dying my underwear for this...

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 December 2003 - 05:42 PM

since all the ones I have load 'default.xbe' from some strange directory.

huh.gif What bios does that?
I tried adding the RC4 key from boot.cfg to debug.ini and moving debug.ini to the config folder for Xbtool. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Sounds like you did it wrong.
Can someone give me some specifics as to how to create a new bios for PBL? (or how to edit one that is included?)

Better question - why would you want to? There is a BFM version of all the bios' on xbins already. The boot sequence is not changed, they all boot to whatever that bios boots normally.
Also, what does the BFM flag do exactly? I know it's 'Boot from Media', but does that mean when this bios is loaded it will (and this seems too obvious) automatically boot whatever is in the DVD Drive, and if that flag is not checked then it WON'T automatically boot whatever is in the DVD drive?

Its "BootABLE from media", meaning, the bios itself boots from media, not the bios boots media. Any bios does that.
So, am I correct in assuming that if I soft mod a v1.5 and use PBL I need to use a 256k bios?

I dont think the xbox version matters, but trial and error wont kill you. If you are having problems with some bios's, upgrade PBL.

#4 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 04:14 PM

since all the ones I have load 'default.xbe' from some strange directory.

huh.gif What bios does that?

It's one that came wht Morden's install. It loads e:/MXM/default.xbe

Sounds like you did it wrong.

Can you tell me how to do it RIGHT?

Better question - why would you want to? There is a BFM version of all the bios' on xbins already. The boot sequence is not changed, they all boot to whatever that bios boots normally.

Do I need a BFM bios to run with PBL? Then why wouldn't one of the 4979 bioses (that I used XBTool to enable BFM) work? What else has to change for it to work properly?

If you are having problems with some bios's, upgrade PBL.

I have 1.3.5i. Is there something newer?
Thanks

#5 NghtShd

NghtShd

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Trying to think of absolutely nothing for extended periods.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 December 2003 - 04:36 PM

Do I need a BFM bios to run with PBL? Then why wouldn't one of the 4979 bioses (that I used XBTool to enable BFM) work? What else has to change for it to work properly?

I assume you did a BFM conversion rather than just setting the BFM flag?

#6 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 06:02 PM

Uhhh....I'm not familiar with a BFM conversion.

So, yes, I probably just set the BFM flag.

Can you explain to me what the conversion is and how to do it?

#7 ddaddy

ddaddy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 10:47 PM

move the debug.ini file into the config folder in xbtool, add you rc4 key to it, now it should open your bfm bioses.

#8 NghtShd

NghtShd

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Trying to think of absolutely nothing for extended periods.
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (ddaddy @ Dec 28 2003, 07:47 PM)
move the debug.ini file into the config folder in xbtool, add you rc4 key to it, now it should open your bfm bioses.

Yeah, I'd do that rather than bothering with conversion unless you need to convert something that isn't already available as BFM.

#9 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:51 AM

like I said...

A bfm version of 4979 is already on xbins.

#10 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:27 PM

Thanks all. I think I got it down now.

#11 ddaddy

ddaddy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (heinrich @ Dec 29 2003, 04:51 AM)
like I said...

A bfm version of 4979 is already on xbins.

Some people, myself included, like to launch the default.xbe or whatever from a different location than is included in the released bfm bioses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users