12 replies to this topic

#1 Mike117

Mike117

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:09 PM

Ok, so I was looking on metku mods (great site if you have never checked it out before) and they had this...

user posted image

You can check out the full tutorial here.

As you see, he has kind of cut some out of the connector and made a regular USB connector to it. I am interested in linux and installing it on my xbox and I am wondering if I could just take a USB input and do just about the same thing and have it work to where i can put in a mouse and keyboard? Thanks.

#2 Dan Wysocki

Dan Wysocki

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:Modding my xbox<br />Sleeping<br />Eating<br />Revo!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 December 2003 - 07:27 PM

u mean put a female connector there rather than a male?? sure that will work fine.... wen ppl put usb hubs into xboxes, they connect them using the controller ports internally, so it will b fine odin it like that.
beerchug.gif

#3 Guest_chillinhh_Guest

Guest_chillinhh_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:11 PM

Hey mike can i get that skin your your sig for evox i really like it?

#4 vona_a

vona_a

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 December 2003 - 08:53 PM

u mean put a female connector there rather than a male?? sure that will work fine.... wen ppl put usb hubs into xboxes, they connect them using the controller ports internally, so it will b fine odin it like that.

Actually, I dont think its a good idea to do it that way...... Heres why: If you put the female connector on this end, and plug in another device, you'll have direct contention of the data lines between your added device and your controller.... this will most likely end up blowing a line or two in either your controller or your device.

The reason people put it on the controller end is that there is a USB hub up there... so connecting it later on where the mem cards go isn't the same as connecting it directly together.

NOW, all I just said is worthless if you just make sure that the controller itself is unplugged from the dongle when you want to use your 2nd device (mouse/keyboard etc).... then it will work. So to sum up again it will work if the controller is unplugged whenever you want to use it, but I dont recommend it because if both are connected it could lead to problems.

#5 Dan Wysocki

Dan Wysocki

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:11 PM

i would think this was ok, if you disconnected the controller at the safety thing
beerchug.gif

#6 puppetm

puppetm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:19 PM

add a little switch in the plastic thing?

#7 Dan Wysocki

Dan Wysocki

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

Mayb a good idea puppetm, but possibly hard 2 fit it in2 the small connector??
beerchug.gif

#8 Mike117

Mike117

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (chillinhh @ Dec 23 2003, 10:11 PM)

Thanks dude! I thought my skin was pretty cool, but its even cooler to see others that want it too and like it. Anything you see in my shot that could be fixed? If so I will fix it and then probably put a link in my profile for downloading.

Is there somethink I can put in there or attach that would switch automatically and allow only the usb connected device if present?

#9 Dan Wysocki

Dan Wysocki

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:14 PM

Im guessing you would want some sorta relay, but i realy wouldnt think you would get it all to fit....im wondering if you just put a small switch on the negative and had it poking outta the top of the connector, you could just switch which connection was grounded and enable/diable them?? im think this would work, cause there would be no power through the thing u rnt using?
sum1 just back me up on this tho?
beerchug.gif

#10 Guest_chillinhh_Guest

Guest_chillinhh_Guest
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Mike117 @ Dec 24 2003, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (chillinhh @ Dec 23 2003, 10:11 PM)

Thanks dude! I thought my skin was pretty cool, but its even cooler to see others that want it too and like it. Anything you see in my shot that could be fixed? If so I will fix it and then probably ut a link in my profile for downloading.

Is there somethink I can put in there or attach that would switch automatically and allow only the usb connected device if present?

I dont think it really needs anything maybe show hard drive space left for C and E, you already have one of those but cant tell which it is
Also maybe something in the center, like Evolution X kind big or name of skin or something there, if you want to put something though.But i like it how it is.

#11 vona_a

vona_a

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, a switch like Dan's saying would work... although instead of ground you'd more likely want to switch the Red +5V wire.....

#12 puppetm

puppetm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (Dan Wysocki @ Dec 23 2003, 11:26 PM)
Mayb a good idea puppetm, but possibly hard 2 fit it in2 the small connector??
beerchug.gif

I think it can fit, i have seen small switches.
And as someone else says here, u just have to switch the +5V (red)

#13 SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 11:35 AM

I was wondering about something the same myself. could i just connect up a regular usb drive then to the usb socket and use it as a xbox memory card? Or would i be better off connecting up the usb drive to the regular xbox memory card slot in the controller?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users