dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:50 AM

Hopefully it loads as quickly as the Cromwell BIOS. Damn that thing loads fast! The bootscreen seems to appear even before my finger has left the power button!

#62 gOoBaLL

gOoBaLL

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:27 AM

Hopefully it loads as quickly as the Cromwell BIOS.  Damn that thing loads fast!  The bootscreen seems to appear even before my finger has left the power button!

I hope that's the case, and I'm pretty sure it will be. The review led me to believe (due to it listing loading time as a con) that it would be signficantly longer.

I think I'll try and contact the review author to get a clarification....

#63 Puckster069

Puckster069

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 January 2004 - 06:09 PM

Im still not sold on the idea.... i had posted in another thread that the OS is a turn off and still dont buy it yet. Heres the problem with a supposedly "upgradeable" OS. You have to rely on OzXodus to actually put out upgrades. I remember when the Chameleon was first being hyped (and yes contrary to what people will have you believe it was hyped just as much as Xecuter chips) that Xodus hyped the fact that the cpld chip was upgradeable and they would be giving more information in the future on how that could be used. Well suddenlt the next generation Chameleons came out where you could boot to the 512 first in mode 4 but us with the first release Chams were S.O.L and from what I understand all that took was updating the cpld chip which is supposedly something I should be able to do according to the sales hype. But im still waiting for the method to be revealed to me. So be careful when you buy into the "upgradable OS" hype because its only as upgradeable as the upgrades are available. Plus I dont care how fast this OS boots up its still more time then me pushing the eject or power button to bring up different bios's. Its still taking up 1MB of a 2MB chip that I have no access to accept to "upgrade" the OS. Sure we will have no use of a 2MB chip for a bios i've heard the rhetoric before.... what was that famous quote by Bill Gates about RAM again? Anyways I digress, it does indeed seem like an interesting chip, and my intentions are not to slam OzXodus in any way. I am excited for both chips X3 and Xenium, hell I might just buy both to determine which I like best, however this forced OS bit is a sticking point for me. And really people, external switches are only as ugly as you allow them to be, be creative, i've seen some pretty sweet setups with external switches that were not an eye sore. Good luck OzXodus I hope this chip suprises me, because I love my Chameleon.

Edited by Puckster069, 07 January 2004 - 06:10 PM.

#64 douceur

douceur

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Puckster069 @ Jan 7 2004, 02:09 PM)
what was that famous quote by Bill Gates about RAM again?

As a side note, he never actually said that. It's a myth. Plus, it wasn't RAM that the quote was about. biggrin.gif Just FYI.

#65 swolsten

swolsten

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:03 PM

I have been fortunate enough to get some clarification on how the XeniumOS works and I have been told that the XeniumOS only boots up on power-up and not from a reboot. It also will automatically boot the default bios without pressing any buttons after a set number of seconds (this is configured in XeniumOS).

Like I said in my previous post, im sure the OS will be based on some sort of cromwell spin off, given that it takes only about a second to boot Cromwell plus a config timeout (if set to 2 seconds) the boot time would be increased by 3 seconds, omg that will takes years of everyones life tongue.gif

I am convinced that even if the XeniumOS does add a few seconds to the boot time it is well worth the sacrifice. And I think everyone should remember that this review is of a pre-production sample with a beta XeniumOS, I am sure that when the final release comes out it will have some extra features. Best of all we can always upgrade the XeniumOS as many times as we want to keep adding new stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users