16 replies to this topic

#1 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:47 AM

I was thinkin....if you hook up 4 extra ports from an old or broke xbox to a workin one......will it work? so in total you will have 8 ports on one box.

#2 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:57 AM

What would the point of this be?

As far as I know, nothing would support 8 controllers on one Xbox anyways.

#3 riotsone

riotsone

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:59 AM

yeah i belive rainbow six supports up to 16 players not sure if it talking bout all together over live

#4 vona_a

vona_a

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:03 AM

Nope, it wont work.

you'd have to put in a hub for each connection you want to split into 2 (stealing the hub from a controller is a possibility) and then you could technically hookup 8 controllers upto it, but like brahm said, whats the point?

#5 Nocturnal

Nocturnal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:07 AM

I just wanted 2 know if it could be done.......but thanx

#6 talkingwires

talkingwires

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (vona_a @ Dec 29 2003, 02:03 AM)
but like brahm said, whats the point?

Well, USB keyboards, mice, ect. for Linux. You can more ports without breaking your existing ones. There are tutorials for adding two USB ports or wiring the remote IR receiver without taking up one of your controller ports. And if you add a regular USB port, you can hook up a hub to it and gain four, eight, or more ports.

I thought I read somewhere that the Xbox had a second hub with nothing connected to it... and you'd have to solder your own connections... correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Of course, none of these options would let you add more controllers. Xbox games support a maximum of four controllers. Unless some developers are supporting the mod community now! laugh.gif

Edited by talkingwires, 29 December 2003 - 06:16 AM.

#7 vona_a

vona_a

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:56 AM

Well, USB keyboards, mice, ect. for Linux. You can more ports without breaking your existing ones. There are tutorials for adding two USB ports or wiring the remote IR receiver without taking up one of your controller ports. And if you add a regular USB port, you can hook up a hub to it and gain four, eight, or more ports.

I thought I read somewhere that the Xbox had a second hub with nothing connected to it... and you'd have to solder your own connections... correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Of course, none of these options would let you add more controllers. Xbox games support a maximum of four controllers. Unless some developers are supporting the mod community now!

All very good points, but I dont think that was the scope of the original question, as he was asking about using existing ports off an old case, while linux would rather like the traditional female USB ports computers use.

Edit: can you link me to any tutorials that contain that information about the extra ports? all I found was a nice one by twistedsymphony to add the remote IR, but it disconnects the 4rth port to use the IR, and reconnects it when a controller is inserted into the slot, so its not really an extra port, just some clever engineering.

Edited by vona_a, 29 December 2003 - 07:08 AM.

#8 Captain Wiggles

Captain Wiggles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (vona_a @ Dec 29 2003, 08:56 AM)

...can you link me to any tutorials...

There's a couple that may be of interest here and here.

Cheers.

#9 vona_a

vona_a

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the links.

They are interesting, but they still use an existing controller port on the XBOX to work..... I was hoping talkingwires was right when he said there were unconnected USB ports in the 'box to use, but I have been unable to find any information proving that point, as all these projects merge into existing controller ports.

#10 Captain Wiggles

Captain Wiggles

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (vona_a @ Dec 30 2003, 12:53 AM)
Thanks for the links.

They are interesting, but they still use an existing controller port on the XBOX to work..... I was hoping talkingwires was right when he said there were unconnected USB ports in the 'box to use, but I have been unable to find any information proving that point, as all these projects merge into existing controller ports.

Yes, that's what I thought and I've not heard that before either.

I'm not familiar with the USB standards though so I thought I would take advice on it :-)

It would be interesting if it could be done though.

#11 Muntzster

Muntzster

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Fire

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:57 AM

what if u somehow changed the system link files.. so the game thinks ur playing system link then u can do 8 players...

or u can wire another lan port and just hook ur xbox to its self..

idk just my dumb non working sugestions

#12 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 01:27 PM

guys, even if you found a way to make it work, game dont support it.
But then if you managed to get a game top suppor tit (which is possible I mean someone could probably make patche for it) but even still games would be unplayable. I mean even on a big screen TV four player split screen is sometimes hectic imagine how it would be with 8 players. That would be awful!!

just my input

#13 F1xXx3r

F1xXx3r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Hardware Case Mods and What not

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:14 PM

i believe the controller on the xbox only supports 4 but if you did get it connected you would only be able to use 4 at a time

#14 L33

L33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (F1xXx3r @ Jan 5 2004, 05:14 PM)
i believe the controller on the xbox only supports 4 but if you did get it connected you would only be able to use 4 at a time

Correct. You could connect 8 ports, but you'd only be able to use 4 at any one time.

#15 SSJDemon

SSJDemon

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (L33 @ Jan 5 2004, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (F1xXx3r @ Jan 5 2004, 05:14 PM)

Correct. You could connect 8 ports, but you'd only be able to use 4 at any one time.

well, that makes the whole project useless tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users