• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 X-KaLiBeR

X-KaLiBeR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 04:21 AM

A friend of mine just got 3 new screens for his truck and i was thinking of installing an xbox for the main screen with a Decoder for DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 for his stereo system.

I looked into getting some Logitec wireless controllers to access the menus for games and DVD's but was wondering if anyone knows about getting a remote to work with the xbox to access the XBMP menus for MP3's. Since the box is going in a Truck we can't really have a driver messing with the xbox controller to change songs.

Does anyone know how i could get a Remote to work with the xbox?

Edited by X-KaLiBeR, 05 January 2004 - 04:27 AM.

#2 da_frog

da_frog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Chilling

Posted 05 January 2004 - 04:56 AM

just get the official ms remote works for me

#3 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:16 AM

At the very least you will need the IR receiver (Dongle) from the DVD Remote package. After you have that, any universal remote with codes for an RCA DVD player will work fine including the remote that comes with it.

A few things:

1) There is a link in my signature to the XIR remote modification to provide on/off funtionality if that interests you.

2) In addition there is a tutorial somewhere about how to modify the dongle to mount it inside the Xbox. If you found the need to conceal the Xbox and don't have good line of site you might either examine the wiring for this tutorial and locate the dongle in an alternative place more accessible to the remote - or - try figuring out how to get an extension cable for this.

#4 X-KaLiBeR

X-KaLiBeR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:16 AM

We were planning on installing the box and amps in a fiberglass enclosure with a fan rack so i don't know if the xbox will work without the remote pointing at the box . . . the controllers we're putting on it are the logitech wireless controllers like these . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=41017

Is there anyway to get a remote working for the box with that wireless technology?

And thanks for the link . . . that was very helpful.

Edited by X-KaLiBeR, 05 January 2004 - 05:25 AM.

#5 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:46 AM

the dongle is USB based, so just put an extended lead on, up to a maximum of 4.5 meters - use good quality shielded cable, and dont worry about having to point the remote at the dongle, theres a LOT of IR reflective surfaces in a truck, so you should find that you can point it almost anywhere and itll work,

i just tried this and found that you can operate the remote behind my xbox in my living room, pointing slightly off centre at the wall behind and the dongle still picks it up, at least 3 bounces off walls / ceiling needed!

and dont bother with wireless in car, its unreliable

#6 X-KaLiBeR

X-KaLiBeR

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 06:42 PM

Thanks a lot . . . we're just going to mount the box in the enclosure and then extend the wiring on the controller ports and relocate them somewhere in the center console or dash. Use the xbox DVD remote with that XIR remote kit to power it on and off. If anyone has any other suggestions on approaching this install they are appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users