14 replies to this topic

#1 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:14 PM

Compusa has a deal this week for a 25 Pack of DVD-R's but I can't get them to work with Nero 6 Ultra or Alcohol 120%. Just boots to the Evox Dash and says its unknown or no disc.

First time using this media (had success with all others) and no luck.

Ohh I have a Thompson Drive.

I saw the compatibility list and it seems that the Compusa brands do have goog success.

#2 IndieSnob

IndieSnob

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Try using some sort of software to identify the brand please, such as info in nero or downloading a another program. I know when I bought the older Compusa blanks, they were FMI's, and I had great sucess with them. Also, try burning them in Recordnow and see if that works.

#3 realjones

realjones

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

i saw the compusa ad as well, and first off the DVD's only burn at 1x, which, well, sucks.

Second, you can buy ritek 4x dvd-r G04's, which work in every xbox DVD drive and are widely considered the best DVD media available, for about a dollar each on ebay.

In other words, the compusa thing is hardly a deal at all.

Edited by realjones, 06 January 2004 - 09:42 PM.

#4 BonerDoner

BonerDoner

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:57 PM

For one thing, 1x burning isnt that bad. It's what you really should do every time to ensure compatibility, and also, riteks dont work in every xbox. No media does. Ritek doesn't work in my box, but princo does, so I stick with 1x princo.

#5 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:21 AM

First of all not everyone shops on Ebay. Second I don't care about what the speed is (if it takes an hour to burn a backup this so be it).

As far as knowing who makes the DVD Media what where I find out. In Nero 6 Ultra they have InfoTool but it just says n/a for the publisher. In the View Media (in the main program toolbar it just says the disc is empty. I am going to burn with RecordNow (Stomp version).

#6 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:38 AM

These are Princo 1X DVD-R Blanks (used my LiteOn Smartburn Software which gave me the info-very nice). By the way to anyone using a LiteOn Dual format drive there is a driver you can download for better compatibility for Xbox drives (imagine that). Now to see if it works. I will post results.

#7 realjones

realjones

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:33 AM

you can buy them from other places than ebay..my point is you are overpaying for the disks. You can still burn riteks at 1x if you want to anyway. If you want to ignore speed that's fine; the dye on the riteks is better than princo, which means less coasters.

as for them not working in your dvd drive, you must not have one of the stock xbox dvd drives because no one in the entire huge DVD media thread reported them not working.

#8 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

What retail store sells DVDR Blanks from less than $1.00 a disk (I live in Baltimore, MD). I know there are many places online.

By the way I tried again with the firmware update but still no go.

Edited by mr69ways, 07 January 2004 - 01:57 PM.

#9 Aron Parsons

Aron Parsons

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (mr69ways @ Jan 7 2004, 08:57 AM)
What retail store sells DVDR Blanks from less than $1.00 a disk (I live in Baltimore, MD). I know there are many places online.

By the way I tried again with the firmware update but still no go.

Why not just buy online? You save money and get the exact media you want.

As for burning at 1x, that should be your only option if all you have is a 1x drive. There is no reason to burn slower than the max your drive can handle, unless it constantly spits out coasters or you bought crappy media. I've burned over 30 discs now (Ritek G04s) @ 4x, and haven't had a single coaster (Pioneer 106, Xbox games and DVD video). If I wanted to burn at 1x, I would have bought a 1x drive. So to me, burning slower than what you can is just a huge waste of time.

#10 FlashJim

FlashJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:19 PM

When I first got my DVD burner I got a 10 pack of generic DVD-Rs from CompUSA for $7 to test with. They all burned well and I actually got 2x out of them. I didn't even check to see who made them.

Now, I personally use nothing but Ritek G04s with my NEC ND-1300A. I've burned almost 400 discs so far. The Riteks are fantastic.

I buy them 100 at a time from Meritline dot com for $100 shipped UPS. Very cool deal. They have 50 and 25 packs as well, but for just a little bit more. I always worry when I buy something from someone on Ebay. smile.gif

I've just started doing Xbox stuff. I got one for Christmas and just had it modded by Cyon here in Houston two days ago. All of my DVD burning experience is with making DVD movie backups. smile.gif

#11 dvd-rip

dvd-rip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

CompUSA DVD-r's work just fine for me...I've backed up at least 25 games and no problems so far at all. I too have a Thompson drive but I burn with Prassi only and 1x doesn't bother me one bit I just actually play a game (what a novel idea) while one is burning.

#12 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:05 PM

DVD-Rip what do your Compusa brand DVD-R's look like. When did you buy them. Also what kind of drive do you have. When I get home tonight I am going to try using a blank DVD+RW.

#13 XDAWG

XDAWG

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:50 PM

Ritek seems to work for everyone in the thread in my sig. I do recall 1 person saying Ridata+rw which are Ritek not working on 1 drive. Other than that Ritek are great thats all I buy.

XDAWG

#14 Ogrt48

Ogrt48

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:53 PM

I bought both a 25 pack of compusa's dvd-r and dvd+r this week. For the DVD-R they use Princos which are known to be very bad yet so far all 5 I tested on them work great for me. o.0 The dvd+r they sell as theres are from optodisc which work great and are known to be pretty good.

#15 mr69ways

mr69ways

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 12:11 AM

Now thats funny you say that about the Princo because I have been reading the forums and most ppl say the are very good "cheap" DVD's. By the way I have a little better luck.

Lite On released another firmware update for the 411s Dual format burner and I updated it. On thing that is different is that it thinks the compusa 1x are now 2x (burns anyway thou). Now I am able to get my Xbox to see the game and start it up but then it gets a dirty disc error right around the title screen. Any clues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users