5 replies to this topic

#1 joebob2000

joebob2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 06:46 PM

I am trying to get an xbox going with a new hard drive, the old one failed and is more or less useless (it can access the savegames area but not the dash area of the disk). So, im counting that drive out, and have added an x-bit and new hard drive (same model WD, 20GB) to the box and everything looks good. I try to boot with evox M7 and it gives me what appears to be the exact MS bios screen, with error 16. I tried an old evox color bios, and it booted to that okay, and took me to the custom error screen and showed error 16 again. The chip has a green light on at all times which means that the bios is properly located and the chip is ready to go. I have tried several boot CDs, the slayers auto install and an evox 'new hdd' boot cd both of which havent loaded at all.

So where can i start? Is it important, in this case, for the boot cd to have 'padding' before it will try to recognize it? (the evox is 16MB and slayer is 250MB)? I know its booting from the chip OK, the colormod bios proved that, but why does the evox M7 act exactly like the MS bios? Should it in the case of this error? Thanks in advance, hope this isnt something stupid im missing.

joebob

#2 HAL2001

HAL2001

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

There is no visible different between the EvoX M7 bios and the ms bios. If you modchip's bios is loading, then the problem is with your boot media. Make sure you are using a dummy file. I would recommend a dummy file no smaller than 500MB to push the default.xbe file to the edge of the cd-rw.

You may also need to try different media types. I have heard as well as had lousy luck with Sony, so I'd avoid those discs. People, myself included, have good luck with Memorex cd-rw's. Make sure you are either using SimpleXISO or Craxtion to make your .iso image and make sure you are burning it as an image, no-multisession, disc-at-once at the slowest speed possible.

Since your bios is booting up that means your xbox is fine, it just may take a little expiramentation on your part to find media that your drive likes.

#3 joebob2000

joebob2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for your help, i noticed that the appearance of the error screen was different (different wording in each language) between the MS and the evox bios... so I know the chip is running good, that was a relief. When you say use a dummy file... I know the point is to get the data toward the edge of the disc, but how can I be sure that the dummy file goes on first and not last? By naming it AAAA, or by using a multisession? From what i understand the iso has to be written to the disc after its been xbox encoded, which ive been doing, so how can i be sure of the file structure?

joebob

#4 HAL2001

HAL2001

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:20 PM

Just name your dummy file alphabetically or numerically ahead of default.xbe. I used 000dummy.rar, but it doesn't really matter of the name so long as it comes alpha/numrically before default.xbe.

So you'll end up with the following files:
000dummy.rar (or whatever you call it)
default.xbe
evox.ini
(maybe you'll have some folders as well, such as 'backup,' 'trainers,' and/or 'skin' - those aren't necessary but it doesn't hurt if ya' have them)

Put all the files/folders into one folder and make an .iso out of that folder.

#5 joebob2000

joebob2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, with this method i was able to get a cdrw to boot, and i used the HD format tool and HD fixer to add the files and whatnot. This is where my lack of xbox filesystem knowledge comes into play. I believe it has the dash loaded (unless it failed and didnt tell me) and it still returns error 16 on a disc-free boot. I used the cd to change the param for clock setting to 'use ms dash' and tried a few other settings and nothing seemed to work, but I did get error 13 instead of 16 as a result. Is it a problem that the clock isnt set and I dont have a MS dash on the drive to set it?

joebob

#6 joebob2000

joebob2000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:18 PM

Well here i go replying to my own reply... good news is i got it to work! I logged in via FTP and noticed that the cd didnt put any files except a bunch of skins on the C drive. Im not sure if i set it up wrong or what, but i tossed an evox ini and dash on and bingo up it comes. I did follow the instructions about adding the dashes to the 'cdrive' folder and that they should end up on the hard drive once the tool was done. Im not sure if i have a good boot cd, it was one i found on a p2p network, it claims to be the 'evolutionx new hd installer by GreenGiant v 1.2' Not sure if that rings any bells or if there's problems with that tool, but it worked in the end anyway. Thanks for your help!

joebob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users