• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 recondite

recondite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:52 AM

Today, January 7, 2004, "MS announced the Xbox® Media Center Extender Kit, which will combine an Xbox DVD title with a dedicated remote control, allowing consumers to extend their Windows XP Media Center Edition experience around the home using their Xbox game console."

Read the entire press release here:
MS Windows Media Center Extender Technology Delivers Digital Entertainment and the Media Center Experience to Any Screen in the House
(copy link location, paste into address bar and change MS to the full name of the corporation in the URL as the board is replacing it with MS)

Neowin.net also has some more interesting tidbits, including codenames for this and related products, a screenshot, and a link to a Windows Media Center Extender Brochure from MS.

This is an interesting development and goes along well with Bach's (Chief Xbox Officer) comments (from the Reuter's news item featured earlier today on the X-S home page) concerning MS doing upgrades via software rather than hardware.

That said, perhaps it also gives us a glimpse into what may be in store for the next generation of the Xbox...

#2 xionanx

xionanx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 03:12 AM

laugh.gif Told ya so biggrin.gif
Where I spill the beans on MSs plot

#3 bigcol

bigcol

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:22 PM

LOL the xbox version of this software looks surprisingly familiar to xbmc/xbmp.... have a look at this picture on the official pdf (brochure thingy) for this media center stuff....

user posted image
here is the pdf

hmmm i wonder if MS made this program 100% on their own, or if one/some of the xbmc developers were hired by MS, or if MS just stole the xbmc/xbmp source code and went on from there!

Edited by bigcol, 08 January 2004 - 04:24 PM.

#4 avengingangel

avengingangel

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

I maybe mistaken but I think XBMP/XBMC used the MS Media Center design for their apps.

#5 LiGhTfasT

LiGhTfasT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (avengingangel @ Jan 8 2004, 06:27 PM)
I maybe mistaken but I think XBMP/XBMC used the MS Media Center design for their apps.

Yup xbmp was based upon the "freestyle" look of windows media center... Theres a skin on AXS that is pretty much windows media center 2004 ( the version thats gonna be displayed on the xbox)

the homebrew xbmc will be much better anyway

#6 jacobesterque

jacobesterque

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:03 AM

what about the possibility of hacking the xbox via the xbox media center extender kit? that would require no physical hacking ... your thoughts ...

#7 recondite

recondite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

I thought about something like that a while back, but using the Xbox Music Mixer to get files (maybe a gamesave?) to the Xbox instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users