• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ren the Unclean

Ren the Unclean

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:48 PM

I modded my xbox a while ago and it has been working fine, but now when i power it up it FRAGs. It doesnt put any kind of error message to the screen and If i keep restarting it, it will eventually boot to the dashboard and work fine. It has also (twice) locked up during use and on restart has FRAGed until i restart it a number of times, at which point it works fine again.

I have a 1.0 xbox and the chameleon(matrix?) mod chip.

like I said it was working fine originally and it does work ok sometimes now.
I have opened it up and re-aligned my chip, I also made sure all the hardware was plugged in securely.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ren the Unclean

#2 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:20 PM

An Xbox frags when D0 is grounded correctly and the Xbox cannot find a bios on the LPC points. Since the chip works intermittently you know your bios is fine. The issue is contact with the LPC points. For whatever reason your chip comes out of alignment ever so slightly with the LPC points and then returns (could be anything - temperature - minute shift). This isn't exactly an uncommon problem with non-solder mods. Some people have a bitch of a time and others have no issues at all and wonder what all the bitching is about. You can keep trying to reseat the chip until you get one that really takes well. You could also try soldering it if that fails.

#3 Ren the Unclean

Ren the Unclean

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way to clean/polish the LPC points? I've heard about something called a fiberglass pen, but i dont really know what that is or where to get it or if there is a solution that is basically free.

thanks,
Ren the Unclean

#4 rekphour

rekphour

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 January 2004 - 12:29 AM

Im having the same exactly problem, 2.3b pro works sometimes, most of the time it starts, stops in 2 seconds, starts, stops in 2 seconds, starts and stays on without any video tho.... this only happens when the chip is turned on tho.

#5 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:50 AM

MODCHIP INSTALLATION TROUBLESHOOTING - SYMPTOMS AND SOLUTIONS:
This tutorial is to help you troubleshoot install issues and give you a fairly comprehensive understanding of what is going on when you install a modchip. This covers about 95% of the problems that people have. If you need further assistance or your symptoms don't seem to match what's here, please post in the forums. Do not post in this thread and DO NOT PM ME with install issues.

HOW A MODCHIP WORKS:
Turning the chip 'on' only serves to ground D0. When D0 is grounded the Xbox looks for a bios on the LPC points instead of the usual TSOP location on the motherboard. If the Xbox can't find a bios on the LPC it frags (turns itself on/off and flashes lights). With the chip off it never looks to the LPC so there is no problem. It's literally that simple. All a modchip really does is hold a bios for you.

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING RULES:

1) If the Xbox frags with the chip enabled and boots normally with the chip disabled - your D0 is fine and the problem is the LPC:
- In most cases the chip isn't installed correctly (reinstall, resolder)
- It will also frag if the chip itself doesn't have a bios on it. Certain chipmakers preflash their chips with a bios a la Xecuter who uses a version of Cromwell - other chip makers send their chips blank a la the Xbit chip. Hint - know your chip and whether or not it should have a preflashed bios on it so you know whether or not this point matters and what it means to you because no bios or bad bios = frag.
- In some rare cases this can indicate motherboard damage localized on the LPC. The Xbox is still fully functional with the chip disabled but there may be a burnt/bridged trace or some other issue that prevents the LPC from functioning properly.
- It can also be something as small as heat related effects on the contact but this brings us back to a poor installation or solder job.
- If you are confident all of the above is fine then test the modchip itself in another box or send it back for testing (99% of the people reaching this stage after trying everything else are certain it's the chip and only find out it was one of the other issues all along - of course bad chips do occasionally happen).

2) If your Xbox boots the standard MS bios regardless of the chip being on or off:
- Your D0 is not properly connected (resolder/reseat to get D0 connection). Also - carefully read the next point below.
- Does the hacked bios you are using look VISIBLY different from the stock bios? This is important. As of writing this the Xecuter bioses all say Xecuter when they boot but the EvoX bios looks identical to the stock bios. So either use an Xecuter bios or download XBTool and color/modify your bios before flashing it to the chip. This alone causes a thousand hours of wasted boot disc and media testing along with a few people replacing their DVD drives with Samsungs only to later figure out that their D0 wasn't properly connected. USE A VISIBLY DIFFERENT BIOS - there are too many variables in creating a boot disc to complicate it with an unconfirmed install.
- In the rarest of instances there is a chance that the chip is malfunctioning and is not grounding D0 properly by the enable/disable. To test this you can manually ground the D0 by soldering/connecting a wire to D0 and the groundpoint screw. This is really so rare I've seen it only once and if you are reading this guide your chances of reverse engineering a chip to repair it are slim to none.

3) If your Xbox frags when enabled and disabled:
-You likely have a problem on your motherboard unless the grounding mechanism on the chip is having issues.
-Remove the chip and all connection from D0. If it still frags, it is definitely damage to your motherboard if there isn't excess solder somewhere.

4) If your Xbox sometimes boots the hacked bios when the chip is enabled but sometimes frags:
-You have inconsistent LPC contact. Reinstall chip on the LPC.

There you have it - you should be able to diagnose 95% of the symptoms that cause problems as well as anyone on this board.

If you run into further problems DO NOT PM ME. Post a message in the forum - not on this thread. You will get help much faster and may also get someone who has specific experience with your issue.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Edited by ChrisF, 29 April 2004 - 04:42 AM.

#6 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (Ren the Unclean @ Jan 8 2004, 11:33 PM)
thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way to clean/polish the LPC points? I've heard about something called a fiberglass pen, but i dont really know what that is or where to get it or if there is a solution that is basically free.

thanks,
Ren the Unclean

I'm not entirely sure it's a cleanliness issue. You can certainly try cleaning the area though(unhook the powersupply first). Not really sure what you'd use. Canned air, maybe some thing to scrape lightly with, I'd ask at Radio Shack.

#7 rekphour

rekphour

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

fixed the problem, went to the solderin iron, heated up each pin headers point, added a very small amount to each, xbox works fine now..... NES TIME!

#8 Oggy

Oggy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 03:00 AM

having trouble.

xbox 1.0, xbit chip and I am trying to go the non pogo route. I first tested the chip with executer bios and pogo install and it worked perfectly. Now when I try and soder, the xbox frags red and green. Getting a bit frustrated, this is the 3rd modchip I have put in, the first one trying to soder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users