#1 ddkore

ddkore

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:50 PM

If this idea is bass ackward, my apologies. I've been reading the forums for only week. haven't even ordered my chip yet.

Could you write a bios that would flash the eeprom with a bogus/banned eeprom on boot. That way you don't have to worry about going Live with your chip on, cause it would already be banned. then if you wanted to play live, add a script to the dashboard that would replace your banned eeprom with a good one and shutdown the box. If you started back up with the stock bios everything is cool with a good eeprom. but if you screwed up and started the mod chip, no worries cause it put the banned eeprom back in. Seems alot easier then patching memory on the fly. And it doesn't hurt system-link either

#2 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

What's wrong with the current way it works, where there is a change made to the Live library in memory to report that the Ethernet cable is unplugged? If the EEPROM is flashed on each bootup, the chances are quite high that it will have a bad flash within a short time.

#3 ddkore

ddkore

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:09 PM

I've read some post saying the new 4780 bios good, but not 100% effective. but i see your point, flashing every reboot could cause the eeprom to fail pretty quick. how bout a checksum to determine if it is the bogus eeprom, and flash if it was different? still probably too much flashing. probably best to just be careful with the system we have. does any body know how many flashes the eeprom chip is rated to?

#4 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:18 PM

plus everytime you flash the eeprom you have to unlock and relock your HD. I can forsee problems coming there....

#5 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (ddkore @ Jan 9 2004, 11:09 AM)
I've read some post saying the new 4780 bios good, but not 100% effective. but i see your point, flashing every reboot could cause the eeprom to fail pretty quick. how bout a checksum to determine if it is the bogus eeprom, and flash if it was different? still probably too much flashing. probably best to just be careful with the system we have. does any body know how many flashes the eeprom chip is rated to?

No, but it would probably die within a week of constant use.

What the new X2 bios does server the purpose, as Xeero said. The only thing I can think of that WOULDN'T make this effective is if MS changed the XBL hex location... in which case a new BIOS would simply be released. This hasn't happened yet, but Team Xecuter just gives the warning in case something goes wrong... and they don't get yelled at too much...

So EEPROM flashing is kinda out of the question... Unless you want to solder a new EEPROM chip in every few days...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users