15 replies to this topic

#1 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 02:56 PM

Right, After having other probs and having the alladin chip out before and then installed it again. (either a v1.0 or v1.2 xbox)

The xbox boots upto the M$ dash no prob (quick press of power button)

When i try to boot up to evo -x (which i installed first time round) the light sequence is right but the xbox just shuts down. When i lboot back to the M$ dash the clock has reset.

I then tied the DO connection (alladin advance 32) on the chip to earth so the chip should always be on. When i quickly press the power button it boots upto the M$ dash when i hold down the power button the light sequence is right (red-orange etc) but it also boots upto the M% dash. When i try to play a copy game it says it cant recognise the disk.

Could it be a dodgy chip, or something else ?

#2 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 03:54 PM

Just to add that the chip did work prior to me removing it.

#3 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:21 PM

C'mon folks.

Another Update.

I removed the chip again and it looks like i had 2 wires on the lpc crossed. Bugger.

I now intalled the chip and am using the alternative DO (Underside of the MB - How easy) and the prob still exists.

Now after a good hour of searching it looks like i have a BIOS prob and something to do with a clock reset. Due to me having the chip previously installed properly it could be that i have fried my chip or delted the BIOS. Now the xbox wont read the Evo-x auto installer that i always use. Would an xbox without a chip installed still read the evo x cd ?? If not then it must deff be a fried chip.

I have the aladdin advance in my xbox but i dont know if i can just remove the chip or not. Iam going to have a look in a moment and if i can then i will swap them over. In the meantime if anyone agrees with the above or have any other suggestions please say.

Craig

Edited by craigb, 10 January 2004 - 07:23 PM.

#4 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:37 PM

From what I've read, you can't read the evox discs w/o the mod, as they don't have valid boot files for a standard xbox boot..
I'm having a similar (ish) problem with my own modchip, but I'm still able to boot as normal

You should be able to fix the clock error by booting the standard xbox bios and setting it at the prompt.. If you don't get prompted, then either the error code list you're using is wrong (doubtful, especially if its from here) or the bios on your chip is screwed.

If its coming up with that error on the retail hdd with the m$ bios, you're probably in trouble....

#5 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:54 AM

Hi , Thanks for your advice.

I dont get an error code.

If i boot up without the chip then all is ok, it saves the time, etc and keeps it even after several reboots. Everything works fine, all games play etc.

The fun only starts when i try to boot up with the chip enabled. The light goes red orange then the xbox resets and auto boots upto to the M$ dash. This is when the clock has reset itself. If i then set it again all is working perfect until i then try to boot up with the chip which is when it will reset itself.

Iam positive the chip is the problem as if i dont boot up with the chip then the xbox works perfect, as it should.

Craig

#6 j768

j768

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:53 AM

Hi, i have had this probelm aswell. I had my xbox modded by someone else, and it worked for a couple of weeks until i played project gotham racing 2. Now when i try to boot up the mod, it switchs to the M$ dashboard, and makes me set the time. It works fine as a normal xbox, but the mod don't work. I don't know what is happening, as i havnt edited anything, because i havnt even connected it to my computer!! The only thing i did was play PGR2, and then it stuffed up.

#7 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:43 AM

Is the LED supposed to go red and orange during startup with this chip?

Normally this would be indicative of a problem...
(For example, for a while with my mod install it would boot twice then repeatedly flash red/green, I also had it flashing orange a few times.. bah!)

As it is, my modchip isn't working at all, although all of the soldering is fine and i've checked all the traces..

If the LED's are supposed to that though, I'm stumped.. :-/
It could be that one of the LPC points isn't making a proper connection, but that wouldn't properly explain it losing the time...

Does it require you to set the time if you reset at the prompt from the modchip boot and boot normally?

#8 j768

j768

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:55 AM

When the mod is on, the light goes orange, when it's on msdashboard, it goes green. it flashes red first always.
it only resets the time when i try to boot the mod.

Edited by j768, 11 January 2004 - 09:00 AM.

#9 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:05 AM

http://www.aladdin-chip.com/

Seeminly the light should go red, orange then green. 2 of these chips that i have installed have turned red, orange but then not green, just stays orange (chip enabled) and all works fine.

Others have gone through the proper sequence.

Reading through previous posts it is deff a BIOS problem with the chip. Seeminly this prob happened with older bios versions. The new BIOS have over come this. After wiring my chip the worng way Iam sure i fried my chip or erased its BIOS.

There is a few soloutions for this. Firstly the xbox wont read the evo-x installer with no chip working properly, so unless you can some how FTP into your xbox your stuffed. The other way is to use a programmer to load on a new bios. I have another chip which i collect on monday which Iam going to swap over. If it then works it is deff a BIOS problem.

J768 - I did read somewhere during my searching that allot of people have had a BIOS fault when playing certain games. No-one knows why (maybe a bad disk etc) but loading on a new bios to the chip seemed to work.

Hope this helps and I hope a new chip sorts mine out.

If anyone else has any suggestions or ideas to why this happens please say.

Craig.

#10 j768

j768

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:27 AM

should i get the guy who installed it to but a new bios in, or should i do it myself?

#11 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:30 AM

If you feel confident flashing it from within evox, do it yourself. Saves hassle.

If you're at all unsure, get someone else to do it.

Craigb: possibly it ships with a version of BIOS that's too old for that xbox? Just a thought.

#12 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:55 AM

Hi, when i got the chip and first installed it it worked perfect. I had to remove it due to frying a resistor soldering BT back on after it came loose - So the BIOS was ok.

I cant access evo-x even though i pre installed it previous to removing the chip the first time. As soon as i try to boot up evo-x the xbox just reboots to M$.

Also since the chip aint working the xbox wont read my evo-x cd either.

I did have 2 of the lpc connections crossed, which i assume has either fried my chip or deleted its BIOS. I'll try and work out which points i crossed to see if anyone knows for deff that my chips fried

Edit - found a pic of the lpc pionts, hope the pic works.

user posted image

I had 9 + 10 crossed. So i had No 9 soldered to what should be 10 on the aladdin advance chi[ and No 10 soldered to what should have been 9 on the aladdin advacne chip.

Edited by craigb, 11 January 2004 - 12:02 PM.

#13 evilxbox

evilxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:54 AM

I had a problem, it was like this: The Alladin Advance Chip (AAC) did work. But after some rebooting my clock in M$ dash was reset. So i set it and after several tries it happend again. Also to an only flashing green light no --> video-output at all.

It was late so i went to sleep. The next day the XboX booted again normally. I quicky downloaded the newest version of $layers (2.5). Installed it and everything was fine. So i THINK (<-- this for some chancer) its an EvoX version problem that resets your clock.

Are u sure its an 1.0 or 1.2 (1.0 got a fan on the CPU) because i had only this problem on a 1.4 never on a 1.2/1.3.

< I never put an AAC in a 1.0/1.1/1.5 so that i can not tell BUT THINK you get the same problem on a 1.5 aswell.

Conclusion : --> EvoX version problem

#14 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:00 AM

In that case its a v1.0 as it has the fan over the CPU and the extra little MOBO as the bottom for the controller cables.

The chip and evo-x did work. I was playing games using evo-x etc for a while until the BT wire fell off. Thats when i fried the BT resistor and removed the chip as i wasnt sure what the problem was at the time. I fixed the BT ressitor and resoldered in the chip but crossed the 2 connections. it was only at this point the xbox started rebooting. Now i've deffently got the chip installed properly it still dosnt work so i suspect the chip was fried when i installed it wrong.

Craig

#15 craigb

craigb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:07 PM

Sorted pop.gif

A new chip sorted the prob so a BIOS prob must have been causing the reboot to happen.

For future reference people with v 1.0 or 1.1 xboxs dont have to solder to R3G3 for the BT solder point and risk frying the Resistor. If you have the xbox in front of you so the controller ports are facing you. If you remove the multi yellow cable connector that links the power button etc and are looking down on it (looking down onto of the MB) . You need to solder to the Lower Left point. (looking down from the top)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users