#1 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:14 PM

I saw the "Ultimate Jewel Mod" tutorial and decided that that is what I wanted. So I went on my search for some spray on tint. I went to Wal-Mart, notta, AutoZone, nothing, so I searched online and all I could find was Testors Transparent Black Window Tint. It was mainly designed for RC Cars but the problem is it would not stick to the jewel plastic! It wouldn't even stick too the controller jewel. I have pictures but you can't really tell because I don't know how to take good pictures of it but its like a regular tinted window with "bubbles" of non-tinted areas. They look fine if they are on the box/controller but as soon as lights come on behind them its horrible. Has anyone else done this mod? Did it turn out good? What tint did you use because the Testors stuff (No.2949) didn't turn out too well for me. I was thinking of just going out and buying some black spray paint and putting on a few light coats. Any ideas?

#2 Owtlaw333

Owtlaw333

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:27 PM

Couldn't tell ya where to find it (cuz I've looked too), but try searchin' around for Nite Shades by VHT... it's actually made for tinting tha tail lights of your car so I'm guessing it should hold up on tha jewel. I'm gunna try and go look at Autobacs ta see if they have it sometime. If all else fails you can find it at ebay! biggrin.gif

Tha only thing is tho is that I've heard that it doesn't go on glossy so you'd have ta clearcoat it after it has dried.

#3 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 06:34 PM

Being glossy doesn't matter to me. I am spraying on the back of the jewels. The Testors stuff is glossy though, it just doesn't go on even.

#4 bob851

bob851

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 08:38 PM

go to your local hobby shop that does a lot of rc cars. they have all kinds of transparant paint made for plastic. take your jewel with you.

#5 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:47 PM

Thats where I got the paint from. Allied Hobbies. I went in, with my jewel, and asked if they had any of the Testors paint. He said no and said that all they had was some RC car window tint which probably wouldn't stick too well to the jewels plastic (which is?). So I went and looked myself at the Testors paint and found it and bought it.

#6 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

Heres a (crappy) pic of the two jewels side-by-side. They do look good on a surface where no light is coming from behind them but if I could get a good freakin picture of how they look when light shines through I would show you. I will keep trying but anyway, for now:

user posted image

#7 bob851

bob851

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

you could go to the auto parts store and get some regular window tint film.

#8 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 11:30 PM

The thing is the film would be difficult to apply to the smaller controller jewels, not to mention the huge amount of surplus from just one roll.

#9 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

Picture Update:

Here is a picture of the jewel when the CC is off. It looks fine.
user posted image

Here is a picture of the jewel when the CC is on. You can't tell because of the picture but it looks a lot worse IRL.
user posted image

And here is a close-up of the jewel on. Again, crappy quality.
user posted image

#10 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:01 PM

Also, I have a quick question about switches. I broke the switch that came with the CC but luckily I had an LED rocker switch lying around. Thing is... no LED lights up. It has three prongs (duh) and I figured out which is which for turning the CC on/off but there is no light because there is no power source. On the side of the switch it says 100-150V, wtf does that mean? Its the tiny little Illuminated Rocker Switch from RadioShack. Would a 5V power source work for this? If so, where is the closest one to the back of the box near the Ethernet adapter?

Edited by JuggaloZeke, 13 January 2004 - 11:10 PM.

#11 JuggaloZeke

JuggaloZeke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:10 PM

Anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users