6 replies to this topic

#1 manekineko

manekineko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 10:29 PM

Ok, I have the same newbie dilemma that everyone does, which mod chip to get, and these are the pro's and con's as far as I can tell. I know about the chart here but as a newbie, that laundry list of features really doesn't mean much to me, and I think that's why these forums get so many questions about which mod chip to get. A realworld comparison of pro's and con's would be much more useful I think, so I've created just such a list:

X2Pro:
Pro's:
1MB ROM, support for multiple BIOS: This is only really useful for developers and expert users, with the off chance that larger future ROMs may be necessary.
Once soldered in, more stable: Solder is more secure than just screws
Cheaper
Con's:
Can be unreliable: If soldered improperly, over time the solder'd modchips get broken soldering due to repeated heating and cooling, and need to have traces fixed
Requires soldering to install
Once installed, xbox is permanently altered: Goodbye warranty

Matrix:
Pro's:
Easy install: Though lining up the pins can be hard, it is easier than soldering
Doesn't damage Xbox, doesn't void warranty if you use hair dryer to move sticker on back before opening
Con's:
More expensive
Can be unreliable: A few users say that over time their Matrix modchips become loose due to lack of solder, and they have to reopen their Xbox's and retighten the screws.
Only 256k ROM: Hypothetical future expansion is limited, but as of now, not a disadvantage at all except for developers

Edited by manekineko, 30 November 2002 - 08:04 PM.

#2 manekineko

manekineko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 10:24 AM

Should I post this to the FAQ forum? Does anyone see any problems with my list before I do so?

#3 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 12:59 PM

Just a few notes on your post

If the mods are installed right none of them will damage your XBOX. A statement like that could really discourge people from trying to install a chip that needs soldered.

If the solder methods are done properly they are the most reliable. Hairline fractures only occur when a solder joint is not heated properly. Usally the only time a user needs to fix a trace is if during the installation (soldering) of a mod chip because they heated the trace too long and cause it to come off.

Once you open the Cover you have voided the warranty. It does not matter what mod you install.

Everything else looks ok.

Edited by archon76, 30 November 2002 - 01:09 PM.

#4 manekineko

manekineko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:24 PM

If the mods are installed right none of them will damage your XBOX. A statement like that could really discourge people from trying to install a chip that needs soldered.

But if you're using a POGO pin method, then you can always just go back and remove the mod chip, and from the outside anyways, it'll be good as new. Whereas with solder, to someone who knows what they're looking for, it's obvious what happened to that box if you need to make a return.

If the solder methods are done properly they are the most reliable. Hairline fractures only occur when a solder joint is not heated properly. Usally the only time a user needs to fix a trace is if during the installation (soldering) of a mod chip because they heated the trace too long and cause it to come off.

Hmm, are you sure about that? The place I got that hairline fracture thing from is that some users were talking about how their modchips just stopped working properly one day, and it was because of hairline fractures due to repeated heating and cooling, and they had to go in and fix the traces.

Once you open the Cover you have voided the warranty. It does not matter what mod you install.

But if you use the hair dryer method, then I hear that it looks good enough afterwards to not void your warranty right?

#5 blackout_19

blackout_19

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:40 PM

Hmm, are you sure about that? The place I got that hairline fracture thing from is that some users were talking about how their modchips just stopped working properly one day, and it was because of hairline fractures due to repeated heating and cooling, and they had to go in and fix the traces.

What do you think holds all of the other connections onto the motherboard? Cheese???

If that were the case then the whole thing would fall apart because of heating and cooling. They just need to be soldered PROPERLY as archon said.

And yes, your warranty is void as soon as it is opened. regardless of what you do there are ways for people to tell.
Scratches on the screws for one.

The fact that you can fool a shop assistant is not really the point.

#6 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 08:08 PM

But if you're using a POGO pin method, then you can always just go back and remove the mod chip, and from the outside anyways, it'll be good as new. Whereas with solder, to someone who knows what they're looking for, it's obvious what happened to that box if you need to make a return.

How would a solder based mod chip have a impact on outside of the unit. I do not know of any place that would open the cover on the XBOX during a return. I can always remove a solder based mod chip as well it would hard to tell anything was ever done.

laugh.gif Quite sure. In fact if pogo pins where the recommend install method for everthing why when RCA, SONY, Phillips and other companies come out with service bulletins and updates for their products all their install kits are solder based. I have been soldering for years if a solder joint is done correctly it will be completly reliable. I have done many XBOX's for friends and Family all solder based chips (too many to count). NONE of these have ever had a problem I have some getting close to the 1 year mark. The way traces are destroyed are by excessive heat, traces are fairly easy to repair.

But if you use the hair dryer method, then I hear that it looks good enough afterwards to not void your warranty right?

Why would I want to use a hair dryer to peel my sticker. I poked holes in the bottom of my sticker proudly. If you are making modification to the unit you are taking risks. If I make a mistake I really don't expect a retail store to exchange my device. This broken units exchange because of user error happens far more than what it should.

#7 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 08:11 PM

What do you think holds all of the other connections onto the motherboard? Cheese???

ROTFL laugh.gif laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users