GimmeTokens

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Everything XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:18 AM

i have a samsung 605 and it does read alot of diff kinds but not all does the 616t really read everything please post experiences

#2 vjreddy12

vjreddy12

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:36 AM

Hi there,

I cant say i have tested them all, but the popular CD-R /RW and DVD-R / RW (being the cheap ones) work just fine for me.

biggrin.gif

#3 fin1581

fin1581

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:45 AM

Everything that I have ever used has worked for me.

#4 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:XBOX360, PC Mods, Titties<br /><br />MuDvAyNe
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:49 AM

I havent tested DVD+ media, but as far as DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW, it reads everything I throw at it. The only thing I have ever had a problem with is, It will not flash the Cromwell 1.8 off thr ChameleonLE. I tryed 12 different discs before switching the drives, and then the first cd I burned worked perfectly. I have tested this with other Box's as well, with the same results. If you have the 605, I wouldnt worry about it. But I switched my 605 out for a 616t

#5 mkimike

mkimike

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:54 AM

If you have a 605 keep it. Its not worth the money spent on the 616 to read a few more media types.If your replacing a Phillips or Thompson it will be worth it. I have purposly destroyed a music cd just to see what it would take. It took a lot. When it could not read the disc anymore i coppied it to the hard drive and was surprised to find it coppied without flaw.
Pro= Faster load times
cons= The case mod will not allow the dvd tray to sit flush with the outside of the console.
If you have to replace the drive the 616T is the one to buy.

P.S. I havent got the nerv to cram a newspaper in it but thats about all it hasnt read so far.

Edited by mkimike, 15 January 2004 - 05:56 AM.

#6 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (mkimike @ Jan 15 2004, 12:54 AM)
cons= The case mod will not allow the dvd tray to sit flush with the outside of the console.

P.S. I havent got the nerv to cram a newspaper in it but thats about all it hasnt read so far.

Mine fits fine. With the XBOX tray cover on it too. No newspaper used. wink.gif

#7 mkimike

mkimike

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:13 AM

Mine sets in about 1/8 inch from the outside of the console.
The board in the drive hits the case . Did you do anything different from the tu.??

#8 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:14 AM

i have the samsung stock drive and i love it it reads cdr and dvd-R i had to go out and buy a -R burner but in the end i was happy, oh and dont buy that liteon dual format at firt thats what i bought cause it was 89$ with the rebates,well im glad i didnt cut the upc off cause i took it back and got -R pioneer,not to mention waste 15 blank DVD but my buddy works at best buy so i got them 100 pack for 89$ and all who say the thompson reads +R i had an extra xbox for a while with a thompsom and the thompson didnt read +R media burned on a memorex +Rdvd writer with and without the firmware upgrade so ill stick with the stock samsung that reads any cdr i tossed to it thus far

Edited by deacon187, 15 January 2004 - 07:17 AM.

#9 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (mkimike @ Jan 15 2004, 01:13 AM)
The board in the drive hits the case . Did you do anything different from the tu.??

Are you talking about the Front Tray cober or the whole entire unit? I had to do a little customizing to the XBOX tray cover to make it fit flush.

#10 Ticalboy

Ticalboy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:10 PM

my thomson read everything beside cd-r.. and a wierd thing.. it canīt read tdk dvd-rw.. all the other can be read

#11 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 January 2004 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (mkimike @ Jan 15 2004, 08:13 AM)

Why do people keep complaining about this? its really not hard to simply shim the tray cover out til its flush!! A couple of pieces of a cd cover is the perfect thickness for this, just add superglue!

#12 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (moistness @ Jan 15 2004, 08:26 AM)
QUOTE (mkimike @ Jan 15 2004, 08:13 AM)
Mine sets in about 1/8 inch from  the outside of the console.
The board in the drive hits the case .  Did you do anything different from the tu.??

Why do people keep complaining about this? its really not hard to simply shim the tray cover out til its flush!! A couple of pieces of a cd cover is the perfect thickness for this, just add superglue!

Thats what I did, exceot I used an old XBOX hd tray to get my shim. The only reason I used it instead was for color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users