• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 anu|b|iss

anu|b|iss

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:xbox, martial arts,soldering, xbox, girlfriend, work and eat, sleep, followed by xbox and a shower.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:16 AM

Anyone else have the problem with the Aladdin Advance that you can load evox but apps freeze at the loading screen? Or maybe you can't flash your chip because it says it's not writeable even if you held down the power button until the light flickers? Well here is how I solved this problem.

It appears there's a deffect on some of the chips that doesn't lock the "unprotected mode" on once it's been booted in this mode. So as soon as you take your finger off the power button it's just as if the chip was not active at all! Sort of... (some basic things can still be done ie: loading evox or booting games straight from a burned disc)

To fix this, just keep the power button pressed down until you load your app and/or game. once the app/game is loaded you can release your finger from the button but don't try to go back to the dashboard because it will just freeze. If you can figure out a way around this please post (I just wedge something to the power button so it stays down)

Edited by anu|b|iss, 19 January 2004 - 12:49 AM.

#2 anu|b|iss

anu|b|iss

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:xbox, martial arts,soldering, xbox, girlfriend, work and eat, sleep, followed by xbox and a shower.

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:43 AM

One thing I forgot to mention. If this works for you, there should be no reason to flash your bios because the (unknown) bios that comes on this chip does everything you need and flashing your bios will just increase the chance of something fuxing up. Think of it this way, your chip didn't work well without this, and with this it works fine, so why risk fuxing it if it works?

Stick to the saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#3 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:44 AM

Because if you need to do this it's already broken! :-D

#4 Velocirapture

Velocirapture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:02 PM

grr.gif Son of a bitch! The thing works... IF... I hold the damned power button down. Everything I had programmed in there worked fine, THEN.

So who can I go hunt down regarding this? This is total crap... Is there is support whatsoever for this chip out there??? I'm assuming that the people that put this together might actually be aware of this problem by now? Also, I'm new to this, but it appears a 32 bit version of the chip has been out for some time... did that chip have the same problem???

I also understand that there were 2 optional wires I could have put in... ground and power I believe, althought it reads that for my version of xbox they are not necessary.. anyone know if this makes a difference?

Also, I totally agree with [GS]EqUaTe on this. It's already FUBARed...

#5 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:07 PM

Just in case you don't see my response in the other thread, DON'T add these wires.
Explanation is in the other thread.

I'd send it back if at all possible. Most places should be alright with dealing with returns of faulty goods. (If they're not and they don't test before sending them out, why the hell are you buying from them? smile.gif)

#6 charly_

charly_

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with the chip, the alladin just isn't soldered correctly. I had the same problems at first, freezing apps with evox and evox telling me I had an "unknown" bios. After resoldering everything worked fine, evox recognized the bios and all apps running.

#7 Velocirapture

Velocirapture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

Hmm. I would tend to think that if the chip was not soldered correctly it would not be flawlessly botting up to my evox (or, currently) XBMP dashboard. Also, to test it, I made a backup of a game I have and that was worked flawlessly every time as well. The only thing I can add, is that I used the alternate D0 point on the bottom of the board, although I understand that this is not supposed to work any differently?

#8 charly_

charly_

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:25 PM

I believe, at least with my alladin, it was one lpc-point that made contact but only just (only touching the hole with a tiny tip of solder), filling up that hole with some more solder did the trick for me.

#9 [GS]EqUaTe

[GS]EqUaTe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:31 AM

I have to say that it would be unusual for it to work at all if there was a soldering problem..

But then again, stranger things have happened.
Its something that is worth checking at the very least. But I imagine that in many cases this is not the cause. I suspect instead that there was a faulty batch of these chips...

#10 anu|b|iss

anu|b|iss

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:52 PM

Velociraptor: From what I've been informed (I have been trying to track down the creator of the chip) it may just be a soldering problem. Many people who have had the same problem re-soldered and it was fixed. I'm going to try using wires to solder the chip to the lpc port instead of directly to the board.

This will allow for easy troubleshooting and I'll post the results. If the same problem exists afterwards we can be sure that it's a deffect in the chip. Though it does work fine providing you keep your finger on the button until the app loads. You can take it off afterwards but any switching between XBE files causes it to lock up if it isn't held down.

I also experimented with flashing the chips with a 256k bios, had to do it several times as it seemed the flash id kept changing everytime it was detecting. once it changed to bf then it worked, the first time it wrote block 01 and hung for a while, then gave me a message saying it failed, I dared not turn the machine of so patiently holding the power button down trying to flash the chip until finally all 4 blocks wrote and verifyied succesfully. I then rebooted and everything was fine. I then compared my backup bios to the new bios (M7) witha hex editor and saw that they where one and the same! So it seems that it doesn't need updating.

Some say (look at above reply) that once you resolder and it works that it will detect what BIOS it is using. If the BIOS still says unknown in evox it may be an evox dash/aladdin compatibility problem. (You can bring this up to the guys who make EvoX if you really care about it that much)

Edited by anu|b|iss, 18 January 2004 - 09:53 PM.

#11 GixxerGeoff

GixxerGeoff

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:09 AM

Oh my god!!! ive been waiting for this post for way way too long. whatever made you hold that button down thanks, cause ive had this problem forever and i was to the point of exhaustion. if you find out a way to get rid of this problem PLEASE let me know, thanks again!! biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

#12 anu|b|iss

anu|b|iss

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:14 AM

I figured it out because I had a suspicion that it was enabling the flash mode but wasn't keeping it locked in that mode since the light did flicker as per the instructions. To my surprise I was right! smile.gif

#13 GixxerGeoff

GixxerGeoff

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:22 AM

you are a god among men

#14 Velocirapture

Velocirapture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

anu|b|iss: (Velocirapture by the way smile.gif )

I am also going to go thorugh my solder points today and I may even swap chips (I had ordered 2 originally, one for me and one for a friend). Let me know what you find and I will post later either today or tomorrow. Important thing to note though... There is no imcompatibility with Evox. As long as I am holding the button down I can go back and forth between Evox and XBMP (as they are cross-linked in my sys.) I can also launch any other prg. The deal is only with the chip....

Velocirapture
"I like everybody...Till I get to know them!"

#15 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

Hmm, most interesting.

You could always wire them up "CheapMod-style". Just solder the LPC points, and then wire a toggle switch between D0 and GND on the motherboard. Don't worry about BT or D0 on the chip.

Or permanently tie D0 to GND on the mobo if you want the chip always on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users