#1 error21

error21

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

sorry if someone else has allready posted but id just like to know what everyone else thinks.

user posted image

#2 Pobbe

Pobbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:01 PM

I think that the couple of months to come will be really sweet. Now we got 3 big ball players on the field, pressing eachother to peform their best smile.gif

The chip itself seems really sweet, the 4MB (or up to 8) flashrom is a big overkill, but shure, it might be a nice thing to have smile.gif Got a little disappointed on the Xenium that only had 1 MB user acessible, since Iīm expecting the next bios-release from team Xecuter to be 512 kb, and I like the possibility to run a couple of bios:s parallell to ea ch other, to try them out and compare them. But as I said, 4 MB seems like a big overkill.

The I/O bus seems sweet to, especially if itīs LPC compatible, which it seems to be, and at the same time take i2c and SPI.

But the mp3-player? Anyone knows how it will be used? A mp3 player in the chips os isnīt really necessary, I think I would rather go with xbmp smile.gif

I had decided to buy both the x3 and the xenium, but so far I thought that the x3 would be the best, so far it has the most features in the OS for the chip, 2mb flashrom, and a external bustype of some kind to use with external devices. But SmartXX seems to be better than both of the other chips. But I think much will be up to the OS in the chips. Changing colours, bootnames etc on the fly in the x3 OS seems really sweet, so letīs see what the other comes up with.

Because those screenshots (except the background) are 1:1 identical, and that was our development status from October 2003.

Donīt know how much you should rely on this, just because the UI are the same, doesnīt mean that the source isīnt updated.

Edited by Pobbe, 15 January 2004 - 09:02 PM.

#3 GamerBR

GamerBR

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:05 AM

this mod is better than xecuter 3 and xenium but i don't think it will be launched for less than U$75,and 4mb for me is really not necessary,i will flash my xenium with xecuter 4977 with lba48 patch,evox m7 and the rest with the xecuter 3 bios

#4 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (GamerBR @ Jan 15 2004, 09:05 PM)
this mod is better than xecuter 3 and xenium but i don't think it will be launched for less than U$75,and 4mb for me is really not necessary,i will flash my xenium with xecuter 4977 with lba48 patch,evox m7 and the rest with the xecuter 3 bios

You have to figure that the 4megs will be used for the 'OS', a backup of cromwell possibly, eeprom backup, etc, there isnt going to be 4megs available to the user. I do agree that the 8meg one is over kill.

#5 Flagg3

Flagg3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (Pobbe @ Jan 15 2004, 06:01 PM)
The chip itself seems really sweet, the 4MB (or up to 8) flashrom is a big overkill, but shure, it might be a nice thing to have smile.gif Got a little disappointed on the Xenium that only had 1 MB user acessible, since Iīm expecting the next bios-release from team Xecuter to be 512 kb, and I like the possibility to run a couple of bios:s parallell to ea ch other, to try them out and compare them. But as I said, 4 MB seems like a big overkill.

I don't think we will ever see a standard release BIOS that is bigger than 256k, for the simple reason that certain games can't run with a BIOS that's bigger than 256k. (Halo being one of them)

The only reason you would ever need to have a BIOS bigger than 256k would be to embed an App into it, like the alpha release of X2 4978 did with the ftp server. The problem is, you can't keep any apps running when you try to load any software for the simple reason that the limited version of Windows that the xbox uses is not designed to run multiple apps simultaneously.

And so, what turns out to be a better solution then a bios larger than 256k is what both the Xenium and the X3 are using - The XeniumOS and the X3 counterpart are basically the result of what the 4978 BIOS promised - a BIOS with apps embedded into it that unloads itself after your done.

The XeniumOS is really nothing more then a heavily modified cromwell BIOS, one which will allow things like Bank switching, mod chip enable/disable, ftp server, bios flashing, bad flash recovery and really an unlimited amount of potential options at boot. After your done with it, or if you've chosen to boot past it, it simply unloads itself and then boots using a standard BIOS of your choosing.

Because of this, all of these chips coming out with 2mb, 4mb or even 8mb are really, really overkill and in reality unnecessary. Sure, they sound good, but really, unless there is some major paradigm shift in the way BIOS's are used in the future, no one will ever have a use for that much space.

Having said that, I too was disappointed that I only had 1mb of usable space on the Xenium. Even though I would never use it, It's just in our nature to want the most! wink.gif

Flagg

#6 Flagg3

Flagg3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (heinrich @ Jan 15 2004, 09:09 PM)
You have to figure that the 4megs will be used for the 'OS', a backup of cromwell possibly, eeprom backup, etc, there isnt going to be 4megs available to the user. I do agree that the 8meg one is over kill.

Good point.

While no one really needs more than 1mb for BIOS's, I can see the benefit of more than 1mb for the "OS" and for backup.

Flagg

#7 X2Gamer

X2Gamer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:40 AM

This new chips was unexpected and so was the Xenium. I have to admit the Xenium sounds the most simple out of all these new chips. The Xenium is also the only one out though so I can't realy compare. THe new smartXX chip seems to offer some better possiblities than the Xenium, and i like the lcd screen. Only time will tell,but this ceraitnly creates some fierce competition.

#8 Flagg3

Flagg3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:46 AM

The LCD screen will almost certainly be an addon, and the Xenium and the X3 should both be physically capable of such an option as well if the developers decide to add them.

Flagg

#9 Azin

Azin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:15 AM

go to http://www.smartxx.com or http://www.unitenterprises.com and read the news it tells you about the chip and all that good giz gaz

#10 zanga

zanga

X-S Senior Member

• Last Chance
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:26 PM

huhu........

this picture you see is from october 2003!

user posted image

"sorry for my bad english"

have Fun.....

Regards Stephan

Edited by zanga, 16 January 2004 - 02:28 PM.

#11 dtechlogic

dtechlogic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:35 PM

for myself i will wait for all the chip to be out and buy each one of them and then i will find out which is the best chip from all. Test and see which is better. Talking is cheap so seeing and testking will prove which is the coolest chip in the market.

#12 Pobbe

Pobbe

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Flagg3 @ Jan 16 2004, 05:22 AM)
I don't think we will ever see a standard release BIOS that is bigger than 256k, for the simple reason that certain games can't run with a BIOS that's bigger than 256k. (Halo being one of them)

And so, what turns out to be a better solution then a bios larger than 256k is what both the Xenium and the X3 are using - The XeniumOS and the X3 counterpart are basically the result of what the 4978 BIOS promised - a BIOS with apps embedded into it that unloads itself after your done.

I was under the impression that x3 Live would actually be an imbedded app in the x3 bioses, therefore I thought that it wouldnīt be possible to keep the 256 size of the bioses. But maybe Iīm wrong smile.gif Then would a 1 MB flash rom be fine, but as you said, it's just in our nature to want the most, even if itīs really not necessary.

dtechlogic: you said it, testing the chips yourself is the best way to find out which of the chips that is the "one" smile.gif

zanga: youīre on the smartxx-team? Iīm wondering what exactly this mp3-player is, is it just a mp3-player in the chips os, an app that has support for the lcd or what??

#13 GamerBR

GamerBR

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (heinrich @ Jan 16 2004, 02:09 AM)

ok,but pay 50% more for only backup option(like eeprom that the size is 256bytes what can I would want to backup for a mod?)?if the OS size of this mod be 1mb(same of xenium)there would rest 3mb for bioses,ok what i am going to do with 3mb of bioses?fit all the xecuter bios and evox? blink.gif and U$75 is the less i think this mod will cost,maybe U$100(mod+lcd screen)

#14 HeeD

HeeD

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

The LCD screen, although neat, would be useless to me. I couldn't read the thing from across my room where Xbox is.

With bigger flash size like SmartXX and X3 have, one could have a different color bios for each day of the week! biggrin.gif

#15 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (GamerBR @ Jan 16 2004, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (heinrich @ Jan 16 2004, 02:09 AM)

ok,but pay 50% more for only backup option(like eeprom that the size is 256bytes what can I would want to backup for a mod?)?if the OS size of this mod be 1mb(same of xenium)there would rest 3mb for bioses,ok what i am going to do with 3mb of bioses?fit all the xecuter bios and evox? blink.gif and U$75 is the less i think this mod will cost,maybe U$100(mod+lcd screen)

heh, I'm not saying that every user will need even 3 megs of space, or advocating the use of this chip, simply explaining the 'feature' of a large flash rom where the user can't access it all.
And I am 99% sure that an eeprom image is 512k, add that to 1024 for the OS, another 256 for the flash bios, its now using up close to 1/2 of the 4 megs. I expect the x3 bios's to at least 512k, but I'm not sure if they would be able to pull off one any larger without sacrificing game compatability. They is a constant rumor of another team working on a bios release, but that has been going on for a while with nothing to show other than a few video clips. Still more space on that flash rom than the 'average modder' will use any time in the near feature, but it gives you something to brag about, no? laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users