• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

okay i had the bert and ernie reloaded installed restarted xbox and evox booted up problem is when i insert a game or try to do something it comes up with error 21 i have no idea what's wrong and i'm am still quite new to this. my xbox is K: 5101 D: 4920 any help is appreciated. (i uninstalled it now since it didn't work but i can always re-do it and i DID make back-ups of hard drive so i should be okay if i mess up) by the way, i've heard something about the pheonix bios loader or something? would that help? plz let me know

#2 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:59 PM

can any 1 please try and help me out?

#3 Viper16

Viper16

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:XBOX!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:18 AM

Email me banditjunaris@bresnan.net.

PBL changes the bios that are loader (not permantly just loads it and plays it while on and loaded lol)

Degalle

#4 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:13 AM

s0uthp4rk,

If you're getting into EvoX, you've already made a big step in "softmodding". Technically, you can already play backups and homebrew apps. The only catch is that with your current setup, you need to sign every XBE file you want to run. The program that will resign XBE's is called xbedump. Because you're using the font exploit, you need to use xbedump to sign every XBE you want to run with the font signature.

Usage:
CODE
xbedump default.xbe -font

In the example above, I'm trying to resign the file default.xbe with the font signature (notice the -font). xbedump will create a new xbe file called "out.xbe" that is a font signed version of the original "default.xbe". Rename/disgard the original default.xbe so you don't confuse it with the new signed version, then rename "out.xbe" to "default.xbe".

If you want to try go above and beyond your current setup, PBL is the way to go (as far as software modification goes). I'm guessing your current setup looks somewhat like is this:

CODE
C:\default.xbe  (EvolutionX)
C:\evox.ini       (optional file; EvolutionX configuration)
C:\Skin            (optional folder; EvoX Skin folder)

C:\Fonts\bert.xtf
C:\Fonts\ernie.xtf

By optional, I mean you may or may not have these files. They're good to have in terms of customizing, but not vital for EvoX to run.

The fonts are designed to launch the file C:\default.xbe, which in your case is a font-signed EvolutionX dash. There are several ways to implement PBL with your setup. 1) as a seperate app, or 2) making it autoload first.

Most people chose the 2nd option as it unlocks your XBOX immediately before EvolutionX boots, thereby allowing you to run unsigned software without any problems.

To do this, you need to either obtain a font-signed copy of PBL or just download PBL and use xbedump to font sign it using the method explained above. I'd recommend getting PBL 1.3.5 as it allows you to switch between BFM BIOSes. Anyway, after you've acquired PBL 1.3.5, you need to setup the boot.cfg file. It requires a debug RC4 key and two EEPROM keys; those you'll have to find on your own at the "usual places", as I won't tell you them. You'll also need to acquire at least one BFM BIOS. Try out the X2 4979.67 BFM BIOS first, then you can look for more later. Make sure it's a BFM BIOS (the filename will have "BFM") or else PBL will hang shortly after loading. After you have the bios file (for example, 4979.67_bfm_256k.bin), rename it to xboxrom.bin and move it to PBL's Bioses folder.

After that is done, you'll need to do some rearranging. Remember how I said that the font exploits load C:\default.xbe? Right now, your EvolutionX dash is named default.xbe. *Rename it to evoxdash.xbe. Then, copy all the files for PBL to your C partition. You should end up with these files:

CODE
C:\default.xbe (PBL 1.3.5 XBE)
C:\boot.cfg
C:\notes.txt
C:\bg.jpg
C:\font.jpg
C:\phoenix2d_logo1.jpg
C:\Bioses\xboxrom.bin

C:\evoxdash.xbe (Evox dash that was originally named default.xbe)*
C:\evox.ini          (optional file; EvolutionX configuration)
C:\Skin               (optional folder; EvoX Skin folder)

What happens is when you boot up your XBOX, the fonts load, causing C:\default.xbe to run. C:\default.xbe is PBL which loads the bios file C:\Bioses\xboxrom.bin. The BIOS file (unless it was modified) is designed to look for C:\evoxdash.xbe.

That's a quick overview of what you need to do. I'll try monitor this thread when I have free time (when being the keyword sad.gif <sigh>), so if you have any questions or get stuck, post the question. Either I or another nice person on X-S will help you out.

- ZoGger

PS. Quick overview of files you'll need: PBL 1.3.5, a BFM BIOS (X2 4979.67 BFM or equivalent), xbedump (if you need to sign XBE files), and you'll need to find the RC4 and EEPROM keys for the boot.cfg.

EDIT: You could upgrade your evox dash during this process, but I figure you can do that after you get this up and running.

Edited by Zogger, 16 January 2004 - 11:31 PM.

#5 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:28 AM

thank you i'll try this out and see what happens.

EDIT: ok there is 1 problem i looked at my "usual places" and i couldn't find rc4 key, but i did find the eeprom and bios unsure.gif i'm, going to keep looking but i'm not comint up with any thing i'll let u know if i find it.... biggrin.gif

Edited by s0uthp4rk, 16 January 2004 - 11:59 AM.

#6 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:19 PM

OK i used the signed PBL and then when i started up my Xbox it had a scrolling screen. I don't know what i did wrong.... huh.gif

#7 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:22 PM

What sort of text does your "scrolling screen" have? I know if you use a regular BIOS file, it will display some text, an RC4 key (if I remember correctly), then freeze. Make sure the BIOS you're using is a BFM BIOS file.

If it says:

CODE
<snippet>
Stopping Hermes
Loading ROM: P:\Bioses\xboxrom.bin
Error opening bios file
Application died in an unhappy manor. Press A to reboot.
</snippet>

Then, you're either 1) missing a BIOS file in your Bioses folder, 2) The BIOS file set to autoload in the boot.cfg doesn't match the name of BIOS file that you have in the Bioses folder.

A description of the text might help, then I can try look into it.

- ZoGger

Edited by Zogger, 16 January 2004 - 09:29 PM.

#8 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:40 PM

the signed version didn't have a bios folder i just pasted everything in there the screen scrollled and i could see that evox loaded, but it was hard to see since the screen was scrolling so fast... could it be that i have a newer xbox? mayb the signed one wasn't using x2 casu i read the file and it said it supported my xbox or the evox is older.... hmmm also why i used the signed version is becaus i couldn't find the RC4 key.

Edited by s0uthp4rk, 16 January 2004 - 09:44 PM.

#9 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:50 PM

The version of your XBOX looks okay; I know people with those specs that have gotten it to work.

The tutorial I gave was based on the idea that you'd be using PBL 1.3.5. If you don't have a "Bioses" folder, you're probably using an older version, perhaps 1.3. In that case, the BIOS goes in the same folder as PBL so your layout would look like this:

CODE
C:\default.xbe (PBL)
C:\boot.cfg
C:\History.txt
C:\phoenix.raw
C:\phonenix_project.nfo
C:\xboxrom.bin

Do those files match the files in the package you're using? Also, you can simply open boot.cfg with a text editor and copy-paste the RC4 and EEPROM keys from the signed one to the newer PBL 1.3.5 and resign the XBE file in the PBL 1.3.5 package.

NOTE: If your RC4 keys and EEPROM keys consist of all 00's (0X00 0X00 ... 0X00), those are default invalid keys... you need to find the right keys.

Let me know if the files above are the ones you have so I know which version you're using. If your files match what I originally stated, it should have had a Bioses folder... if not make a folder named Bioses and move the xboxrom.bin file in there.

- ZoGger

EDIT: BTW, the X2 4979 BFM BIOSes won't work with PBL 1.3 (forgot to mention that), if you really must use PBL 1.3, get the 4977 BIOS

Edited by Zogger, 16 January 2004 - 10:34 PM.

#10 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:57 PM

yes i was using signed PBL 1.3 caus that's the newest 1 they have and it came with bios... i think it's too old tho caus my xbox has a newer video thing or somethin as i've heard about so i will have to go with the newer PBL and edit everything that seems like the best way to go for me right now.

#11 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, the newer Focus encoder causes a lot of headaches when people try to softmod (when using older versions of PBL), which is why I always end up recommending using PBL 1.3.5... saves people the trouble of thinking it was their configuration that was wrong, when it was simply the software.

As a little sidenote, when signing with xbedump, use the command I gave earlier. What will happen is that xbedump will create a new xbe file called "out.xbe" that is a font signed version of the original "default.xbe". Rename/disgard the original default.xbe so you don't confuse it with the new signed version, then rename out.xbe to "default.xbe". I figure I should mention this so if you run into Error 21's and all the files are laid out correctly, this is the culprit.

- ZoGger

PS. I will update the original walkthrough to reflect this note.

#12 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:16 AM

First off i want to thank you for all your help..

secondly, is PBL 1.3.5i good? i was just wondering as it's not the exact name taht u recommended, but that's the version im' going to try...

#13 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:23 AM

Ah, no problem, and yes, 1.3.5i will work just fine.

- ZoGger

#14 s0uthp4rk

s0uthp4rk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:25 AM

OK everything seems alright it loads pheonix bios loader then goes to evox but the run DVD game is red and i can't select it.!?!?!??! some good news tho i can boot up apps and it's no longer error 21 biggrin.gif one other thing the light flashes red at start up is this bad?

Edited by s0uthp4rk, 17 January 2004 - 01:29 AM.

#15 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:44 AM

The "DVD Game" being red might have to do with the way your evox.ini is set up. Try opening the evox.ini with a text editor and scroll down to the "[Menu]" part.

If you have a line similar to this:

CODE
Item "Launch DVD", "D:\default.xbe"

then that's your problem. Try replacing it with this:

CODE
Item "Launch DVD",ID_Launch_DVD

As for the flashing red, I think that might have to do with the fonts you're using. If I remember correctly, each font was design to set the LEDs to different colors... (I tried the reloaded on mine before I wrote up the guide, and mine also blinked red). You might be able to change the LED color firing in the boot.cfg by setting the LEDSequence to all g's...

CODE
LEDSequence gggg

I haven't tried this, so I can't say if it'll work, but I found this article which might also be helpful. You're basically hex-editting the fonts to change the LED sequence firing.

http://forums.xbox-s...hl=flashing red

The flashing isn't bad, but it can get annoying laugh.gif

- ZoGger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users