#1 blackhawk632

blackhawk632

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

arggg bad tim eof year to spray the case but I dont have much choice i need to get it down. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, canada and its pretty cold (-20C) im guessing I can't do it outside or anything, but can I do it inside safely?

#2 Rush346

Rush346

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

I painted mine outside, left it out there for a few minutes (so the fumes would go away), then brought the pieces in and set them next to our fireplace. It turned out pretty nicely.

#3 =Neo=

=Neo=

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

Yeah u can, make sure its a well ventalated room or u may get a bad headache and yeah cold is bad to paint in, im wiaitng for spring mad.gif

#4 blackhawk632

blackhawk632

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:53 PM

k thx, when Im painting it inside will the paint get all over the place? (will the paint molecules float away and stick to the wall?)

#5 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

Just get some of the cheap plastic sheets used to cover stuff up when painting, and if you'rew careful it shouldnt, as to painting inside/outside, I painted my xbox controller with Enamel paint in my non insulated garage with snow on the ground and still coming down, turned out nicely

#6 Blind_Samurai

Blind_Samurai

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

Spraying inside would definitely be much safer as in terms of paint quality. Outside in such cold may give horrible results as I heard (like moistness; paint doesn't lay properly etc.). Just make sure you buy a spray mask and spray in a VERY good ventilated area. As for particles spreading around, there should be no problem as long as you cover the painting area with old newspapers and direct the can only in the direction of the case. Just good precautions and you should be fine.

#7 blackhawk632

blackhawk632

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:10 PM

I'm using Kryon Fusion paint and its about -12C right now. I wonder if it would work, I guess I could always try the underside of it.

how cold was it?

#8 Oobrakadoobra

Oobrakadoobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:40 PM

I would definitely do it inside. Spray Paint doesn't work well in cold conditions because when the can is cold the pressure is low and the paint will not come out as fast. Same way when you leave it by a heater, the paint will spray out very fast because the pressure is greater. I would say to just do it in a room with no furniture, covered in plastic, at a nice comfortable temperature. Good luck and keep the can moving at all times.

#9 blackhawk632

blackhawk632

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Oobrakadoobra @ Jan 15 2004, 06:40 PM)
I would definitely do it inside. Spray Paint doesn't work well in cold conditions because when the can is cold the pressure is low and the paint will not come out as fast. Same way when you leave it by a heater, the paint will spray out very fast because the pressure is greater. I would say to just do it in a room with no furniture, covered in plastic, at a nice comfortable temperature. Good luck and keep the can moving at all times.

what do u mean plastic covering it?

#10 Oobrakadoobra

Oobrakadoobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:17 AM

Like a plastic sheet down just so the over spray doesn't ruin the floor or wall. You can't hold the can 1 inch away from the box and think you will be good. You have to hold the can hold the can atleast 7 inches or more away from the box and move it in an up and down or side to side pattern (choose one way of moving and stick with it, if you don't you can usually tell, it is just like coloring with crayons, you can tell when you change direction). Just move it constantly, get an even coat, and you should be good. Also, with holding the can that far away from the box there will be some over spray on the floor, hence the need for plastic.

#11 FLuKE11

FLuKE11

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Games, Women, Music.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:36 AM

Trust me don't do it outside in the winter. You'll regret it.

#12 jet2k

jet2k

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:56 AM

Im with you man. Im in calgary and its pretty cold here right now too. I wanna paint so bad.

#13 snorkleboy

snorkleboy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:51 AM

Try this.
Get a large cardboard box "TV SIZE" and a "Shop Vac".
Cut a hole in the back of the box and put the hose from the vaccum through it, securing it with some duct tape.
Then cut the folding front panels off of the cardboard box and you have a paint booth. Turn the vaccum on while you paint and all the fumes and paint particles will be sucked into the vaccum.
Side note, this works very well, but the filter inside the vaccum will probably need to be replaced after doing a couple of xboxes.

#14 blackhawk632

blackhawk632

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (snorkleboy @ Jan 15 2004, 08:51 PM)
Try this.
Get a large cardboard box "TV SIZE" and a "Shop Vac".
Cut a hole in the back of the box and put the hose from the vaccum through it, securing it with some duct tape.
Then cut the folding front panels off of the cardboard box and you have a paint booth. Turn the vaccum on while you paint and all the fumes and paint particles will be sucked into the vaccum.
Side note, this works very well, but the filter inside the vaccum will probably need to be replaced after doing a couple of xboxes.

i have a shop vac, but im worried that might royally ruin the motor, and filter

#15 iz3r

iz3r

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (blackhawk632 @ Jan 15 2004, 11:53 PM)
k thx, when Im painting it inside will the paint get all over the place? (will the paint molecules float away and stick to the wall?)

order some free boxes from usps, i ordered 25 of each, yeah im dumb, use thoes to sheild the molucules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users