41 replies to this topic

#1 XCopy

XCopy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

ok...this is my first tutorial and you will have to pardon the craptastic picture, but in the end, i think this is a pretty sweet mod.
oh and by the way this mod worked for me. if it doesnt work for you and you botch your box, it is not my problem and you might want to not botch your box next time.

this mod allows you to have rca jacks on the back of your box, for composite video and left and right stereo. i am working on adding svideo out.

my box is a:
v1.5
40gb 7200rpm maxtor
tsop flashed baby
and no more a/v cable!

to start open your box and remove all components (i.e. hd and dvd drive, as well as cables and anything attached to the motherboard)

it should look like this

user posted image

next remove the board from the box and place it on an est bag. flip it over and you will notice the bottom side of the a/v connector to which you will be soldering

user posted image

here is the pinout and wiring diagram for the A/V connector. the color coded lines indicate where you need to solder. the right audio channel attaches to pins 1 and 2, the left channel are pins 14 and 15, the video jumper are pins 7 and 17, and the NTSC video is pins 23 and 24. make sure you have the wires connected correctly and there are no jumps because will probably short the board when you turn it on.

user posted image

once you have your wires all soldered on, fish them through to the topside of the mobo. like this! YAY! learning is fun! beerchug.gif

user posted image

now flip the board over and solder on your rca female phono jacks, LIKE THIS!

user posted image

at this point i put my box back together and remounted everything with all the screws and powered on the box, now this part is what is going to determine whether or not you screwed up, so cross your fingers. if all goes well continue on, otherwise you might want to figure out where the short is and try again, and again it is not my problem and you do this at your own risk.

next, remove everything, including mobo from the box and map out where you are going to mount your rca jacks. use a drill or a knife to make the holes to mount the jacks. mine looks like this.

user posted image

finally put everything back in the box, screw it all down, and bam....you are done. this is what mine looks like, feel free to comment and ask questions.

user posted image

#2 XP_GAMER

XP_GAMER

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:09 PM

Nice.. write a full tutorial on the s-video once you figure it out

Edited by XP_GAMER, 17 January 2004 - 10:10 PM.

#3 XxmutinyxX

XxmutinyxX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:10 PM

whats the point of this? i dont get it, what does this allow you to do

Edited by XxmutinyxX, 17 January 2004 - 10:10 PM.

#4 Dan Wysocki

Dan Wysocki

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:Modding my xbox<br />Sleeping<br />Eating<br />Revo!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:12 PM

nice tut! i rekon youve dun a good job there, an i may well do this mod!!!
PIN!
beerchug.gif

#5 moose_4evr

moose_4evr

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:12 AM

Great job man, thanks for posting this, quick question though; what does the video jumper do? I'm assuming that this is the jumper that determines that an A/V cable is attached to the box (Box usually flashes when no A/V attached), is this correct? Also, after doing this mod, Iím assuming that you are still able to use the MS cable just as before?

#6 XCopy

XCopy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:23 AM

yeah the jumper tells the box that the there is an a/v cable attached.....i will post about how to connect the svideo connector when mine comes in the mail......oh...to XxmutinyxX yah umm..the point of this is to never have to worry about having your ms a/v cable anymore, but mainly.......the point of this tutorial is to mod your box in a way that ms doesnt want you to. plus it saves you about 10 bucks, and once i finish the svideo it will eliminate the need for the "advanced" a/v cable.......saving you another 20 duckets. dry.gif

#7 th3gh05t

th3gh05t

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (XCopy @ Jan 17 2004, 11:59 PM)
this mod allows you to have rca jacks on the back of your box, for composite video and left and right stereo. i am working on adding svideo out.

You said "composite video". I only see the typical yellow video. Not the composite, Red, Green and Blue.

#8 LoRD_TRiFLe

LoRD_TRiFLe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:49 AM

th3gh05t, the yellow one IS composite. you're thinking of another type of connector, though i can't remember the name atm...

*EDIT*
it's rgb video (hence the red, green, and blue connectors)

Edited by LoRD_TRiFLe, 18 January 2004 - 04:50 AM.

#9 iz3r

iz3r

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:02 AM

This is the w00test thing ive ever seen in my life. Now construct a tut! smile.gif

#10 rekphour

rekphour

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:11 AM

i wouldnt do this tut, because i used HDTV and not the regular av pack, sure you could rig up an easy switch to ground out the different pins, to switch between component and regular composite, hmmm... i think ill do that this weekend, cheers to the idea! beerchug.gif

#11 nobodyimportant

nobodyimportant

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:26 AM

th3gh05t, the yellow one IS composite. you're thinking of another type of connector, though i can't remember the name atm...

*EDIT*
it's rgb video (hence the red, green, and blue connectors)

Also known as component video, which is likely the term you were thinking of, th3gh05t.

#12 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:42 AM

XCopy, that's awesome!

Good job smile.gif

#13 AlphaMRE

AlphaMRE

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:54 AM

Excellent idea I may have to try that myself - keep us posted with the s-video also

Good stuff

#14 Pimptastic

Pimptastic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:38 AM

I have to do this. But I don't think It will save me 10 bucks cuz I'll want to see if thouse expenseve video cables would make a difference in pic quality.

#15 ProSam

ProSam

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

Only one comment:
That is sick man, might or might not do it. I'm not that good with soldering.

Only one question:
What the hell is that in your sig?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users