13 replies to this topic

#1 mkjones

mkjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:08 PM

In a nutshell, Phantom is a customizable, high-end Windows XP embedded PC priced at between 300 and 500 dollars (but never over).

LINK: http://www.1up.com/a...,1434779,00.asp

Interesting???

#2 GameDTX

GameDTX

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 January 2004 - 12:54 AM

yeah, it seems phantom is gonna use xpe for their os. wink.gif

#3 Lightsier

Lightsier

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sure The Phantom is using regular Windows XP. It has the specs to run Windows XP. They don't need to skimp out on that.

The Phantom is going to suck anyhow, the VIA solution ownz it. I might get a Phantom after it bombs and I can pick one up for cheap as an alternative to my emulation needs wink.gif

#4 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:00 AM

The Phantom is and always will be vaporware.

The guy running the show has left a bloody trail of failed Venture Capital fiascos in his wake, and several exposes have been written about it.

Though a photo was shown in September purporting to be a beta test of the console, playing what has pretty much been identified as Dreamcast Quake 3, they failed to show anything but an inoperable Phantom case at the CES this past week.

VAPORWARE.

I'd be willing to bet, with a few phone calls, I could even show that Infinium has NEVER been in contact with M$ to help put XPe in a box.... every project I've EVER worked on (quite a few, actually) that deals with embedded NT, XP or WinCE, has had at least one nearly dedicated M$ evangelist working in close support of our products - and M$ has had nothing to say about this.

#5 mkjones

mkjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 08:35 AM

I'm pretty sure The Phantom is using regular Windows XP. It has the specs to run Windows XP. They don't need to skimp out on that.

The article claims its an embeded version, wich all in all is a better idea than the standard XP, I mean, who wants a Windows XP machine unter the TV with all the niggles and hassle..

The Phantom is going to suck anyhow, the VIA solution ownz it. I might get a Phantom after it bombs and I can pick one up for cheap as an alternative to my emulation needs

I had this idea too! I bet with a little modding it would run the Media Center great...

I'd be willing to bet, with a few phone calls, I could even show that Infinium has NEVER been in contact with M$ to help put XPe in a box...

Yeh, I am surprised M$ havent said anything about working with these guys? I mean, they would be in competition with them for the Xbox market anyhow?

I guess we should wait and see..

#6 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

We've been "waiting and seeing" since last July.

They sent out a picture that claimed it was a working "beta" Phantom running a Phantom version of Quake 3 on it.

Id never claimed to be one of their developers - and the image appears to be the DREAMCAST version of the game.

Obviously, since they have not shown a working Phantom in public since the photo was distributed by their e-mail newsletter, it was FAKED.

Likewise, they sent out another newsletter showing a gleaming office building as the new home for Infinium Labs in Sarasota; it turns out the address of the "new home" was a mail drop in a strip mall. They LIED about this gleaming new office building; it doesn't exist. Can you say FLIM-FLAM?

The guy running the show has worked in such successful ventures as a multitude of startups that went nowhere - oh, and for that ultra-successful company WORLDCOM. Can you say "anti-midas touch"? (I'm probably being generous here - more like "scam artist")

You are putting a LOT of faith in a company that sends out FAKED photos.

Think about it.

#7 mkjones

mkjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:38 AM

We've been "waiting and seeing" since last July.

So true, I always thought it was a hoax, im SURE it started off as one! But then they got so much intrest they just HAD to make somethin...

Id never claimed to be one of their developers - and the image appears to be the DREAMCAST version of the game.

Cool wink.gif the old DC livin it large!
By the looks of the game list, it does seem very like the games availiable on the DC..

Obviously, since they have not shown a working Phantom in public since the photo was distributed by their e-mail newsletter, it was FAKED.

If you read the story, that guy claims to have actually used it...

Can you say FLIM-FLAM?

LOL! sounds like the ENRON scandal!!!!!

You are putting a LOT of faith in a company that sends out FAKED photos.

NO WAY! I have ZERO faith in this product, its a pice of crap!

On another note:
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/3414281.stm

This ^^ seems to run widows XPe as well!

#8 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:03 PM

Yes, the Apex box is certainly something interesting... and they are an established company (albeit in the same vein as an "audiovox" or "gpx"), dealing with an established chip maker (VIA).

On top of that, they announced the product and demonstrated it at CES.

That's the way you do business.

#9 mkjones

mkjones

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 01:18 PM

That's the way you do business.

Indeed!

Someone should come up with a decent rival for the PSX tho, I mean, if one of these things had TiVo style recording and a DVD recorer Id be on the waiting list!

#10 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:30 PM

user posted image

Official Press Release...

user posted image

#11 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:58 PM

laugh.gif

#12 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:09 PM

quote from the apex web article

"A gamer can keep up to date by replacing parts of a home computer. But they will not be able to do this with the Apex machine, as it cannot up upgraded.

A company technician admitted that even some current games, such as Call of Duty, would be "a bit choppy" on the ApeXtreme.
"

ok so this means its crap,, and its going to cost as much as a midline pc which you end up running it better than this.

ok so why would COD run choppy on a tv running 640x480 MAX or lower,., looks like they are taking the cheap way out and using some crappy video chip (sorry i didnt look for hardware specs)

i dont know bout you gents but any console maker who will come right out and tell you Call of Duty and the likes,, WILL run choppy,,, well that right there pretty much tells you they are admitting the console pc is crap.... maybe not for quake or UT or 1/2 life or CS,, but gimmie a break...

ill stick with my pc and use TV out if i wanna play games on my TV.

#13 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:14 PM

oops forgot,,

heres the real console,, apex is just a licensed mfg and programmer for it,, also,, so is Alienware,,, now if AW made one of these with their fat ass set ups,, i might think about it.

http://www.discoverc...com/aboutus.htm
the discover console..

yeah discover how 1.2 ghz was good 2 yrs ago,,, but it aint shiat now.... not for pc games,

they gotta be smokin some good stuff to think a 1.2 ghz will run games of today not to mention its got to handle a portion of the video and some of the 5.1 audio too.

nope sorry its a loosing venture there,, they better pull up stakes now and get the F outa dodge b4 they loose their arses and end up broke.

#14 matt2342

matt2342

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and modding!!

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:19 AM

Holy crap, look at the phantom's size. It is like 2 xboxes stacked on top of each other.

I believe that they will bring something out but it will be expensive and it won't be even close to what they are syaing now. January 2006!! I CAIN'T WAIT!
Can you?

Edited by matt2342, 30 January 2004 - 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users