• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 NaDeS

NaDeS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:16 AM

I used Gouki's guide to softmod. I have evox up and running, but it is flashing red and when i load a game to e:/games/gamenamehere or try to run one from the dvdrom i get the error 21 screen. I can still ftp and i have signed pheonix bios loader 1.3 can i use this. Do i want to try this?

The version of your XBOX looks okay; I know people with those specs that have gotten it to work.CODE 
C:default.xbe (PBL)
C:boot.cfg
C:History.txt
C:phoenix.raw
C:phonenix_project.nfo
C:xboxrom.bin

Do those files match the files in the package you're using? Also, you can simply open boot.cfg with a text editor and copy-paste the RC4 and EEPROM keys from the signed one to the newer PBL 1.3.5 and resign the XBE file in the PBL 1.3.5 package.

NOTE: If your RC4 keys and EEPROM keys consist of all 00's (0X00 0X00 ... 0X00), those are default invalid keys... you need to find the right keys.

Let me know if the files above are the ones you have so I know which version you're using. If your files match what I originally stated, it should have had a Bioses folder... if not make a folder named Bioses and move the xboxrom.bin file in there.

- ZoGger

EDIT: BTW, the X2 4979 BFM BIOSes won't work with PBL 1.3 (forgot to mention that), if you really must use PBL 1.3, get the 4977 BIOS

The tutorial I gave was based on the idea that you'd be using PBL 1.3.5. If you don't have a "Bioses" folder, you're probably using an older version, perhaps 1.3. In that case, the BIOS goes in the same folder as PBL so your layout would look like this:

#2 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:31 AM

NaDes,

Hmm, that post looks awfully familiar, laugh.gif . Anyway, have you been resigning your XBE's with the font signature? If not, then that's why you're getting the Error 21. If you only use the font hack to directly load the evox dash, you need to resign every XBE file you want to run with xbedump.

Usage:

CODE
xbedump default.xbe -font

Resigns default.xbe with the font signature... xbedump actually resigns it but saves the resigned version as out.xbe. You can move/disgard the original default.xbe and rename out.xbe to default.xbe

If you don't want to deal with signing all the time, yes, PBL is the way to go. I wouldn't use that section that you copied, as if you look at an earlier section of that post, I have a file layout of setting up PBL 1.3.5i. Try look at a previous post on that thread for the walkthrough. It's pretty straight forward, but if you have questions I can try help you out (again, if I have the time).

- ZoGger

EDIT: Oh, the reason I recommend 1.3.5i is because I usually don't know what version XBOX the guys I'm helping have. The newer 1.4/1.5 have a focus encoder that doesn't work with PBL 1.3. Those require you to use 1.3.5i and the X2 4979 or higher BIOS.

Edited by Zogger, 18 January 2004 - 07:33 AM.

#3 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:38 AM

Easy noobie question... I obtained the X2 4980 bios and in the rar is has 2 different bios files....4980.67_BFM.bin and 4980.06_BFM.bin. I'm guessing I need to edit the boot.cfg for PBL 1.3.5i and point at one of those instead of xboxrom.bin.... my question is which is the one I should include with PBL 1.3.5i and point to in the boot.cfg.

Edited by strife16, 18 January 2004 - 07:39 AM.

#4 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:55 AM

bah even when I do 1.3.5i i still get flickering... I know it's showing like an animation first, then I get a black screen that flickers with a green line... i'm guessing that's some sort of error but I dunno.

#5 NaDeS

NaDeS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:46 AM

hmmm

Edited by NaDeS, 18 January 2004 - 08:57 AM.

#6 NaDeS

NaDeS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:48 AM

So nothing is broken yet, thats good to hear. Can you direct me on exactly what i want to do now because seriously i am dumber than lazy. I have not signed any xbe. yet and do not want to go that way. So what are my options now on getting this thing going.

Edited by NaDeS, 18 January 2004 - 08:56 AM.

#7 NaDeS

NaDeS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 10:06 AM

Ok zogger this is what im stuck at now, I have found 1.3.5 and 4979.67. Do i need hd_gen.tar.gz for the rc4 key and do you use eeprom_dumper.iso for the eeprom.You say text editor just use notpad to copy Rc4 and EEPROM ? Are all Rc4 keys the same ? Im not exactly sure how to do this can anyone give me a holla back asap thanks again. Im very confused now.

You need to setup the boot.cfg file. It requires a debug RC4 key and two EEPROM keys.

Edited by NaDeS, 18 January 2004 - 10:22 AM.

#8 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 03:09 PM

strife16,

The major difference between the .06 and .67 BIOSes if is you have a large hard drive (> 137 GB), if you're using your stock retail HD, it doesn't matter which one you use. Also, could you check kernel and dash your XBOX has. The squiggly lines generally indicates you have a newer XBOX (one with a focus encoder); if you have the newest (5530 kernel), unfortunately PBL 1.3.5i won't work (no version of PBL released yet will work with that).

NaDes,

If you don't want to spend too much time trying to find the RC4 keys, there are packages which have the boot.cfg filled with the proper keys. You mentioned you already had the Signed PBL 1.3 package, so try extracting the boot.cfg from that, then opening it with a text editor. If the RC4 and EEPROM keys look like (0X00 0X00... 0X00) it hasn't been properly filled, but if it has actual hex values, you're all set.

All the Debug BFM Bioses use the same RC4 key, so once you find that, you won't need to worry about updating it when you swap BIOSes. As for the EEPROM, as long as you have the v1.0 and v1.1 key you'll be okay (that's more about the specs for your xbox that the specific BIOS).

- ZoGger

EDIT: Sorry had to get some sleep... was programming all day straight...

Edited by Zogger, 18 January 2004 - 03:32 PM.

#9 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:27 PM

Luckily, my kernal is 5101... this leads me to believe that it could be my fault why it is not working right. Are there any tutorials for installing PBL 1.3.5? I was trying to do the gamesave trick with 1.3.5i so it would load everytime I load the gamesave, which inturn would load evox on my system. I could make out what looked like a PBL animation, so it might just be the way my evox files are setup or my bios files or something? Another solution would be if I could actually downgrade my dash, that way I could do a font hack and just learn to deal with having to sign xbes.

Edited by strife16, 18 January 2004 - 04:34 PM.

#10 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 04:47 PM

If you want, here's the link that NaDes has been talking about:

http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=44&t=156437

It's a thread about how to setup PBL 1.3.5i with the font exploit (so no more signing).

As for using it with a gamesave, the MA/007 is a good source, although it's designed with 1.3 if I remember correctly.

http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=44&t=79331

The setups are somewhat the same although there are a few differences, notably 1.3.5i looks for the BIOS in a folder Bioses in the same directory as the PBL default.xbe. For example, with the MA/007 tutorial, your default.xbe is here:

E:\UDATA\4d530017\62D648EBF155\default.xbe (for MA)
E:\UDATA\4541000d\000000000000\default.xbe (for 007)

The BIOS should then be here (if you're using 1.3.5i):

E:\UDATA\4d530017\62D648EBF155\Bioses\xboxrom.bin (for MA)
E:\UDATA\4541000d\000000000000\Bioses\xboxrom.bin (for 007)

You might need to use XBTool to modify the BFM Bios if you try to launch evox from a different location other than it's standard C:\evoxdash.xbe ... and if you use a regular PBL 1.3.5i build you'll need to use xbedump to habibi sign the default.xbe

Because you have a focus encoder, PBL will still show up squiggly, but after you load the 4979 BIOS and boot into EvoX it should be fine. Make sure 1) you're using the newer X2 4979 or above BIOSes (or EvoX M7), and that the filename you're saving it as matches the filename in the boot.cfg

- ZoGger

Edited by Zogger, 18 January 2004 - 04:50 PM.

#11 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:15 PM

K, no luck so far with the 007/MA gamesave... trying out a few bios and etc to make sure. There's not anyway to mess up by doing this so I guess I'll just keep fooling around. Maybe you can help with a bigger problem though--downgrading my dash. When I overwrote my xboxdash and files with the ones that are included in slayer's iso (4920), I got an error 21. I don't think I misplaced any files... so do I need to sign the xboxdash.xbe maybe? Nothing I've read on downgrading dashes has mentioned this, but a 21 error usually means unsigned xbe right? Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

#12 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:18 PM

First thing first... don't resign your xboxdash.xbe... that'll mess things up pretty good. Had to make sure I said this first above all other things.

- ZoGger

EDIT: The BIOSes you should use with your xbox are the X2 4979 and above, and the EvoX M7... other BIOSes won't work properly as you have the focus encoder. Secondly make sure they are BFM Bioses, not regular BIOSes (it'll say BFM in the filename if you got it from a "usual place").

Edited by Zogger, 18 January 2004 - 05:23 PM.

#13 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:26 PM

Wow, thanks... I didn't, haven't, and won't.

EDIT: About the bios, yes they are BFM and I'm trying out 4979, 4980, + M7, but I must be setting up something wrong on the evox side I think, my gamesave looks pretty good and it seems like I configured the boot.cfg right. I get the flickering colors and then a black screen, it looks like there's 1 line of white text that stays for about 3 seconds and disappears.

Edited by strife16, 18 January 2004 - 05:30 PM.

#14 Zogger

Zogger

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:41 PM

Hmm, that one line is probably when PBL is saying:

"Press A to load a bios" (or something to that extent)

Normally you don't need to hit A because as long as your boot.cfg has a bios file listed to be autoloaded, it'll autoload that first. If I remember correctly, if PBL does load the BIOS, BUT you have your evoxdash misplaced, it'll kick you to the MSDash.

I know this is going to sound a little stupid too, but how many controllers do you have in your xbox? My friend (and I've observed this), with PBL 1.3.5 if you have 3 or more controllers in, either PBL hangs or it takes a really long time to load. Having 1 or 2 was okay, but 3 just caused us headaches ... yeah... weird.

Anyway, all I can say is check the keys to make sure they're right, also check that your bios is in the "Bioses" folder and that the name in the Bioses folder matches the name in your boot.cfg.

- ZoGger

PS. If you still can't get it working, try explain the layout of your files

EDIT: I can't think of off hand why you're getting an error 21 when you're downgrading. It should work fine if you followed the directions Morden gave. What it could be is maybe the ISO file is corrupt or the files are corrupted in the extraction process. What tool are you using to extract the files?

Edited by Zogger, 18 January 2004 - 05:54 PM.

#15 strife16

strife16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 08:03 PM

I've tried the newest X2 bios but with no luck... although one time I did hit A and it took me to what appeared as a blurred bg.jpg image, the one included in 1.3.5i. In the boot.cfg where it says RomFile... i'm just copying the name of the ROM I am including, should I add the directory so it's listed Bioses/romfile.bin in boot.cfg? As far as downgrading the dash, it seems simple... but for some reason it didn't work and gave me a 21 error... I'll try extracting the iso with a different program this time and see what the results are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users