8 replies to this topic

#1 diffident

diffident

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:01 PM

Does anyone know how to get really big text into MXM? Is there any support on the xbox for smooth, scaleable vector text?

A while ago I had an idea for a skin that was a little unusual, using really big text (150pt), but the 150pt xpr made by FontBundle was both implausibly huge (either 4 or 8MB depending on the font), and froze MXM completely as soon as the skin loaded (thankyou for Safe Mode, BJ).

Plan B was to use a smaller point size, and scale up the text in MXM, but the raster glyphs in the xpr start to look very rough if you scale them much.

I've got round this by using graphics instead of text (see screenshots below - the flowing script text eg 'Play', 'Setup' was made in Photoshop), which is fine for my own use, but it does totally tie this skin to my menu structure.

The skin has kept me happy for the last 5 months, but I'm fired up by all the new skin goodness BJ's putting in, and wanted to revisit the problem.

If there's a way round this big font issue, and anyone's interested in a rehashed version of this skin using real big text, I'll have a go. If anyone's interested in the skin as it stands, you're welcome, but you'll have to change your menu.xml...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:36 PM

Looks very nice, BTW...

As for vector fonts, there is no support at the moment, and it's not in the plans for MXM's immediate future.

I am planning on adding true widescreen support (I've got an HDTV converter box and HDTV cable for my Dev Xbox to run with) - but for now, all screens are essentially 640x480 scaled to whatever the screen mode is. Once I get the next release out the door, I plan on devoting some real time and attention to it - I have a couple of friends bugging me about getting it in wink.gif

Beyond that, the alternatives are to scale the font size as close as possible to the desired screen resolution, and use them without scaling.

(Funny that this topic came up - I'm in the process of creating some rather ugly, but neccessary DOS-style fonts for MXM's upcoming "console mode")

#3 diffident

diffident

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 03:33 PM

Looks very nice, BTW...

Blushes

I am planning on adding true widescreen support

That would be nice, and the file-manager would be nice, and a jukebox, and alpha mask support, and vector text just for me, and I've put some of your very small dollars (it's like 12USD per UKP, right?) into the tip jar so you can buy a beer or two and not do any of those things in a hurry - there's already plenty of goodness in MXM to keep any right-thinking person happy.

Thanks for everything you've given us so far.

#4 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (diffident @ Jan 19 2004, 12:33 PM)
it's like 12USD per UKP, right?

1.78, NOT 12 dry.gif
But I guess it was a typo smile.gif

#5 diffident

diffident

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 08:39 AM

But I guess it was a typo

Worse than that - a weak joke

#6 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Football (Soccer) ... Umm, Xbox?
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

I got it, guess our boy geniusalz didn't catch your subtle, and very dry humor...Ahh, dry humor..( A favorite in the UK right?)

tongue.gif

#7 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 January 2004 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Yuyu @ Jan 20 2004, 05:46 PM)

I got it, guess our boy geniusalz didn't catch your subtle, and very dry humor...Ahh, dry humor..( A favorite in the UK right?)

tongue.gif

Lol i got it alright being in the UK biggrin.gif
Its good the US dollar is doing so bad because that means its cheaper to import my cd's now biggrin.gif

#8 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:49 PM

Same for us canadians here; the loonie is going strong biggrin.gif

BTW, jokes are usually marked with a wink.gif or a laugh.gif , atleast a smile.gif

#9 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (geniusalz @ Jan 20 2004, 03:49 PM)
Same for us canadians here; the loonie is going strong biggrin.gif

BTW, jokes are usually marked with a wink.gif or a laugh.gif , atleast a smile.gif

Yeah, I miss the days when I could fele rich just by heading over the Bluewater bridge and hitting the exchange on the way to TO - until the exchange gets back up, I don't think I'll make the trip too often for now (with taxes, there's no advantage - and in the past, we had rebates for GST and PST, which have been greatly restricted or eliminated these days)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users